Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: what network for the PC jr?

    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 2 10:51 AM
      Ian,

      You make my point. Couldn't have said it any better. Those companies were willing to make significant sacrifices to share expensive printers with essentially no other benefit. That doesn't sound like success to me. Until the very late 80's, LANs were esoteric and expensive. In about 1986 we sold our first LAN by using floppy-only desktop computers to save the cost of the hard drive.
      Back in about 1990 when General Foods finally installed some LANs, I had two sets of config.sys/autoexec.bat: one to use the network printer and the other to get work done - and this was on a 386! Of course DOS was a large part of the problem.

      Jeff, this thread is now on the MARCH list.

      Jim

      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 2 1:26 PM
        I have mentioned this before, but when I worked at IBM as a college intern
        in 1987 I used to set up token ring network demos, using IBM XT's ringed
        together. I have the software, but I am looking for the cables and cards
        if anyone has them, I would love to set this up to see if I still remember
        how to do it. The connectors were squares about 3/4" or so.
        Bill
      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 2 2:01 PM
          I gave up finding interesting items at Goodwill years ago, but
          yesterday I struck iron. A Data General LDM-800 line printer, which is a
          rebadged Mannesman-Tally MT661. 800 lines per minute, line matrix,
          cabinet mounted. Plus, yesterday was half-price day and it cost me a
          grand total of $5.29, including tax.

          I had to modify a power cord because of a silly protuberance in the
          socket, but...it works!

          There's another one still at the Goodwill store (minus the ribbon
          cartridge). Ya never know what you'll find...

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        • Bill Dromgoole
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 2 9:56 PM
            Like this?
            http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10221&cs_id=1022101&p_id=927&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 2 10:29 PM
              wow, yes. Now I'd just need the adapter cards.
              bd

              At 12:56 AM 8/3/2008 -0400, you wrote:

              >Like this?
              >http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10221&cs_id=1022101&p_id=927&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

            • Christian Liendo
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 3 3:00 PM
                I have a IBM PCMCIA Token RIng 16/4 card but no dongle. I can hold it for you for the next VCF. Sorry thats all I have.,

                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 3 4:42 PM
                  Mike,

                  My local Goodwill store has a few old printers. I think they have been there for several years.

                  Jim

                  Old Technology    http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/