Re: [midatlanticretro] Arcnet

  • Ray Sills
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 1, 2008
      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARCNET>

      Very interesting. ARCNET is retro... but still in use.

      73 de Ray

      On Aug 1, 2008, at 8:58 PM, Evan wrote:

      > I never heard of that. Educate us.

    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 3, 2008
        On Fri, 1 Aug 2008, Mike Loewen wrote:

        > Are any of you guys into Arcnet? During a rescue today, I acquired a
        > pile of ISA Arcnet cards, hubs and power supplies. If anyone is
        > interested, drop me a note and I'll let you know exactly what I have. I
        > can bring the lot along to VCF East, next month.

        So, no interest in the ARCNET stuff? Next step is to offer to the
        Classic Computers list. Here's what I have:

        Manuals:

        Tiara Lancard/A * PC
        ARCNET User's Manual for CN008AH and CN008TH
        Configuration Guide for the SMC ARCNET-PC130 Network Controller
        Board
        CNet 120A ARCNET User's Manual (qty 4)

        Diskette: ARCNET 5.25" MEGA Diskette #75-00790-3000

        Cards (8-bit ISA):

        SMC ARCNET-PC130 (qty 5)
        Tiara Lancard/A * PC (qty 12)
        CNet ARCNET 120A (qty 1)

        Active Hubs:

        Addtron ARCNET Active Hub, 8-port, ARC800ST (qty 5)
        CNet Arcnet HUB 008AH, 8-port (qty 2)
        (The Addtron and CNet hubs have an internal power supply and take
        a standard power cord)
        Tiara ARCNET LanHub, 8-port (qty 2), Power Supplies (qty 3)
        SMC ARCNET Active Hub, 8-port (qty 15), Power Supplies (qty 9)

        Cables: RG-62A/U (qty 5)

        Again, if anyone has any use for this stuff, I can bring it to VCF
        East. If not, I'll offer it to the CCtalk list.

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      • jack99rubin
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
          > Are any of you guys into Arcnet? During a rescue today, I
          acquired a
          > pile of ISA Arcnet cards, hubs and power supplies. If anyone is
          > interested, drop me a note and I'll let you know exactly what I
          have. I
          > can bring the lot along to VCF East, next month.
          >

          > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

          Mike,

          I'd be interested in a couple active hubs and a card or two. One of
          my (future) projects is getting CP/NET working again. This was a
          Digital Research protocol that ran over ARCnet, so having the
          physical layer stuff will be helpful. My system is S100 based but
          having a PC card will allow an emulator connection as well. Should be
          fun.

          I won't be able to attend VCF this year but hopefully it shouldn't be
          too difficult to either ship a small package or hang on to the stuff
          until I get east later in the year.

          Thanks,
          Jack

          Thanks,
          Jack
        • Herb Johnson
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
            http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/

            The page and poster documents were improved with better images of the
            interior boards of the 11/20 and of the front panel. During a visit to
            InfoAge this weekend, I tagged the boxes of the Greenough collection
            and put the rough inventory list as a document into some of the boxes.
            A better picture of all the boxes is also on the Web page. Minor work
            of this sort may continue, I don't anticipate major changes to the
            posters and exhibit.

            Herb Johnson
            retrotechnology.com
          • Herb Johnson
              been improved and updated. Major development work is now completed.
              Some work remains.

              The 11/20 Web page at

              http://retrotechnology.com/pdp11/index.html

              ..now has an index, which is followed by the current status of the
              exhibit, before the Introduction. A large portion of inventory
              information has been transferred to another Web page. These changes
              should help in navigation.

              The Virtual Exhibit Web page at:

              http://retrotechnology.com/pdp11/PDP_11_exhibit_1.htm

              ...now includes a Web page with links to the videos for the exhibit.
              This page shows all the content and the rough arrangement of the
              physical exhibit, as images. Posters are shown as equivalent HTML
              documents. Links from the photos go to documents, images and now
              videos. More information is on the 11/20 Web page.

              Since we are now at about 30 days before the MARCH museum and VCF-E
              show, I now consider major development of the 11/20 exhibit CLOSED. No
              major changes will be made. This is a good opportunity to review the
              Virtual exhibit to consider any MINOR changes.

              Remaining work: 1) some DEC books for the exhibit. 2) set up a
              computer to show the videos. 3) a MARCH-owned DEC card for the
              exhibit, if available. 4) a Lexan cover for the 11/20 front panel. 5)
              production of the posters and a full-sized image of the 11/20 boards
              in place. 6) physical work on the exhibit and artifacts, just before
              the show.

              One bit of explanation. Because the 11/20 has its backplane in the top
              of the case, with the boards hanging DOWN, we can't show the interior
              of the system. So I'll ask Evan to print a full-sized photo of the
              cards and THAT will be displayed on TOP of the system.

              Note to Evan: DOC files for the posters and full size images are
              available from another section of my Web site. Check the 11/20 Web
              page "status" section or previous emails from me for links.

              Herb Johnson
              retrotechnology.com
            • Ian King
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 15, 2008
                Well, sorry, I won't be in the area on Sunday.... :-)

                But I did want to ask a question that we were batting around today. We
                were commenting on what sorts of machines you see in people's individual
                collections - for instance, I have a VAX 6000-660, but not an 11/780 in
                large part because the latter machine pretty much requires three-phase
                power. But what we were curious about was: does anyone in the
                hobbyist/collector community have an IBM 360? I knew a guy who was
                proud of his 1401, and I've seen restoration stories about various other
                systems, but not a 360.

                Thoughts? Thanks -- Ian

                On Fri, 2008-08-15 at 21:17 -0400, Evan wrote:
                > I'll be at the museum around noon this Sunday and could use 2 or 3
                > helpers. We are * very close * to being able to set up computers for
                > exhibiting! Just have to move a few more small-ish things. (I know
                > I've been saying that for months, but now it's pretty much true...)

              • Joe Giliberti
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 16, 2008
                  Me and possibly Jeff F./Rose should be available tomorrow. What time? 11a?

                  Joe

                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 16, 2008
                    Message
                    No, 12.  Better chance of me showing up on time that way!

                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 25, 2008
                      http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/

                      As Evan posted, I delivered to MARCH the artifacts for the PDP-11/20
                      exhibit. The Sony VAIO & Linux system was delivered, to show the
                      videos produced by David Gesswein, who has also loaned MARCH a PDP-11
                      card and original paper tape.

                      Additionally, today I have received two PDP-11 paperback "handbooks"
                      from Paul Popelka. He is a PDP-11 owner who contacted MARCH recently.
                      The 1971 PDP-11 Processor Handbook includes the 11/20, that's an
                      important edition. The Peripherals Handbook from 1973 is also
                      appropriate to the 1970 PDP-11/20 on display. I'll confirm with him
                      these are donations, not loans.

                      Also placed with the exhibit, was a 1975 DEC "interfaces handbook"
                      which was originally donated with other books to MARCH by Joe Giliberti.

                      It was common in the 60's and 70's to offer minicomputer documentation
                      in paperback form. These two books were essential to programmers and
                      designers who used the PDP-11. I'm glad MARCH is able to exhibit
                      these. While fragile after almost 40 years, and must be handled with
                      care, now they can be read and enjoyed by visitors to the Exhibit.

                      Herb Johnson
                      retrotechnology.com