Re: [midatlanticretro] Arcnet

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 1 5:58 PM
      I never heard of that. Educate us.

      -----Original Message-----

      From: Mike Loewen <mloewen@...>
      Subj: [midatlanticretro] Arcnet
      Date: Fri Aug 1, 2008 8:27 pm
      Size: 1K
      To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com

      Are any of you guys into Arcnet? During a rescue today, I acquired a
      pile of ISA Arcnet cards, hubs and power supplies. If anyone is
      interested, drop me a note and I'll let you know exactly what I have. I
      can bring the lot along to VCF East, next month.

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...

    • Ray Sills
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 1 6:13 PM
        <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARCNET>

        Very interesting. ARCNET is retro... but still in use.

        73 de Ray

        On Aug 1, 2008, at 8:58 PM, Evan wrote:

        > I never heard of that. Educate us.

      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 3 4:46 PM
          On Fri, 1 Aug 2008, Mike Loewen wrote:

          > Are any of you guys into Arcnet? During a rescue today, I acquired a
          > pile of ISA Arcnet cards, hubs and power supplies. If anyone is
          > interested, drop me a note and I'll let you know exactly what I have. I
          > can bring the lot along to VCF East, next month.

          So, no interest in the ARCNET stuff? Next step is to offer to the
          Classic Computers list. Here's what I have:

          Manuals:

          Tiara Lancard/A * PC
          ARCNET User's Manual for CN008AH and CN008TH
          Configuration Guide for the SMC ARCNET-PC130 Network Controller
          Board
          CNet 120A ARCNET User's Manual (qty 4)

          Diskette: ARCNET 5.25" MEGA Diskette #75-00790-3000

          Cards (8-bit ISA):

          SMC ARCNET-PC130 (qty 5)
          Tiara Lancard/A * PC (qty 12)
          CNet ARCNET 120A (qty 1)

          Active Hubs:

          Addtron ARCNET Active Hub, 8-port, ARC800ST (qty 5)
          CNet Arcnet HUB 008AH, 8-port (qty 2)
          (The Addtron and CNet hubs have an internal power supply and take
          a standard power cord)
          Tiara ARCNET LanHub, 8-port (qty 2), Power Supplies (qty 3)
          SMC ARCNET Active Hub, 8-port (qty 15), Power Supplies (qty 9)

          Cables: RG-62A/U (qty 5)

          Again, if anyone has any use for this stuff, I can bring it to VCF
          East. If not, I'll offer it to the CCtalk list.

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        • jack99rubin
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 4 4:46 AM
            > Are any of you guys into Arcnet? During a rescue today, I
            acquired a
            > pile of ISA Arcnet cards, hubs and power supplies. If anyone is
            > interested, drop me a note and I'll let you know exactly what I
            have. I
            > can bring the lot along to VCF East, next month.
            >

            > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

            Mike,

            I'd be interested in a couple active hubs and a card or two. One of
            my (future) projects is getting CP/NET working again. This was a
            Digital Research protocol that ran over ARCnet, so having the
            physical layer stuff will be helpful. My system is S100 based but
            having a PC card will allow an emulator connection as well. Should be
            fun.

            I won't be able to attend VCF this year but hopefully it shouldn't be
            too difficult to either ship a small package or hang on to the stuff
            until I get east later in the year.

            Thanks,
            Jack

            Thanks,
            Jack
          • Herb Johnson
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 4 8:34 AM
              http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/

              The page and poster documents were improved with better images of the
              interior boards of the 11/20 and of the front panel. During a visit to
              InfoAge this weekend, I tagged the boxes of the Greenough collection
              and put the rough inventory list as a document into some of the boxes.
              A better picture of all the boxes is also on the Web page. Minor work
              of this sort may continue, I don't anticipate major changes to the
              posters and exhibit.

              Herb Johnson
              retrotechnology.com
            • Herb Johnson
                been improved and updated. Major development work is now completed.
                Some work remains.

                The 11/20 Web page at

                http://retrotechnology.com/pdp11/index.html

                ..now has an index, which is followed by the current status of the
                exhibit, before the Introduction. A large portion of inventory
                information has been transferred to another Web page. These changes
                should help in navigation.

                The Virtual Exhibit Web page at:

                http://retrotechnology.com/pdp11/PDP_11_exhibit_1.htm

                ...now includes a Web page with links to the videos for the exhibit.
                This page shows all the content and the rough arrangement of the
                physical exhibit, as images. Posters are shown as equivalent HTML
                documents. Links from the photos go to documents, images and now
                videos. More information is on the 11/20 Web page.

                Since we are now at about 30 days before the MARCH museum and VCF-E
                show, I now consider major development of the 11/20 exhibit CLOSED. No
                major changes will be made. This is a good opportunity to review the
                Virtual exhibit to consider any MINOR changes.

                Remaining work: 1) some DEC books for the exhibit. 2) set up a
                computer to show the videos. 3) a MARCH-owned DEC card for the
                exhibit, if available. 4) a Lexan cover for the 11/20 front panel. 5)
                production of the posters and a full-sized image of the 11/20 boards
                in place. 6) physical work on the exhibit and artifacts, just before
                the show.

                One bit of explanation. Because the 11/20 has its backplane in the top
                of the case, with the boards hanging DOWN, we can't show the interior
                of the system. So I'll ask Evan to print a full-sized photo of the
                cards and THAT will be displayed on TOP of the system.

                Note to Evan: DOC files for the posters and full size images are
                available from another section of my Web site. Check the 11/20 Web
                page "status" section or previous emails from me for links.

                Herb Johnson
                retrotechnology.com
              • Ian King
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 15 11:32 PM
                  Well, sorry, I won't be in the area on Sunday.... :-)

                  But I did want to ask a question that we were batting around today. We
                  were commenting on what sorts of machines you see in people's individual
                  collections - for instance, I have a VAX 6000-660, but not an 11/780 in
                  large part because the latter machine pretty much requires three-phase
                  power. But what we were curious about was: does anyone in the
                  hobbyist/collector community have an IBM 360? I knew a guy who was
                  proud of his 1401, and I've seen restoration stories about various other
                  systems, but not a 360.

                  Thoughts? Thanks -- Ian

                  On Fri, 2008-08-15 at 21:17 -0400, Evan wrote:
                  > I'll be at the museum around noon this Sunday and could use 2 or 3
                  > helpers. We are * very close * to being able to set up computers for
                  > exhibiting! Just have to move a few more small-ish things. (I know
                  > I've been saying that for months, but now it's pretty much true...)

                • Joe Giliberti
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 16 7:24 PM
                    Me and possibly Jeff F./Rose should be available tomorrow. What time? 11a?

                    Joe

                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 16 7:38 PM
                      Message
                      No, 12.  Better chance of me showing up on time that way!

                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 25 11:01 AM
                        http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/

                        As Evan posted, I delivered to MARCH the artifacts for the PDP-11/20
                        exhibit. The Sony VAIO & Linux system was delivered, to show the
                        videos produced by David Gesswein, who has also loaned MARCH a PDP-11
                        card and original paper tape.

                        Additionally, today I have received two PDP-11 paperback "handbooks"
                        from Paul Popelka. He is a PDP-11 owner who contacted MARCH recently.
                        The 1971 PDP-11 Processor Handbook includes the 11/20, that's an
                        important edition. The Peripherals Handbook from 1973 is also
                        appropriate to the 1970 PDP-11/20 on display. I'll confirm with him
                        these are donations, not loans.

                        Also placed with the exhibit, was a 1975 DEC "interfaces handbook"
                        which was originally donated with other books to MARCH by Joe Giliberti.

                        It was common in the 60's and 70's to offer minicomputer documentation
                        in paperback form. These two books were essential to programmers and
                        designers who used the PDP-11. I'm glad MARCH is able to exhibit
                        these. While fragile after almost 40 years, and must be handled with
                        care, now they can be read and enjoyed by visitors to the Exhibit.

                        Herb Johnson
                        retrotechnology.com