Arcnet

  • Mike Loewen
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 1, 2008
      Are any of you guys into Arcnet? During a rescue today, I acquired a
      pile of ISA Arcnet cards, hubs and power supplies. If anyone is
      interested, drop me a note and I'll let you know exactly what I have. I
      can bring the lot along to VCF East, next month.

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
    • Evan
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 1, 2008
        I never heard of that. Educate us.

        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 1, 2008
          <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARCNET>

          Very interesting. ARCNET is retro... but still in use.

          73 de Ray

          On Aug 1, 2008, at 8:58 PM, Evan wrote:

          > I never heard of that. Educate us.

        • Mike Loewen
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 3, 2008
            On Fri, 1 Aug 2008, Mike Loewen wrote:

            > Are any of you guys into Arcnet? During a rescue today, I acquired a
            > pile of ISA Arcnet cards, hubs and power supplies. If anyone is
            > interested, drop me a note and I'll let you know exactly what I have. I
            > can bring the lot along to VCF East, next month.

            So, no interest in the ARCNET stuff? Next step is to offer to the
            Classic Computers list. Here's what I have:

            Manuals:

            Tiara Lancard/A * PC
            ARCNET User's Manual for CN008AH and CN008TH
            Configuration Guide for the SMC ARCNET-PC130 Network Controller
            Board
            CNet 120A ARCNET User's Manual (qty 4)

            Diskette: ARCNET 5.25" MEGA Diskette #75-00790-3000

            Cards (8-bit ISA):

            SMC ARCNET-PC130 (qty 5)
            Tiara Lancard/A * PC (qty 12)
            CNet ARCNET 120A (qty 1)

            Active Hubs:

            Addtron ARCNET Active Hub, 8-port, ARC800ST (qty 5)
            CNet Arcnet HUB 008AH, 8-port (qty 2)
            (The Addtron and CNet hubs have an internal power supply and take
            a standard power cord)
            Tiara ARCNET LanHub, 8-port (qty 2), Power Supplies (qty 3)
            SMC ARCNET Active Hub, 8-port (qty 15), Power Supplies (qty 9)

            Cables: RG-62A/U (qty 5)

            Again, if anyone has any use for this stuff, I can bring it to VCF
            East. If not, I'll offer it to the CCtalk list.

            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
          • jack99rubin
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
              > Are any of you guys into Arcnet? During a rescue today, I
              acquired a
              > pile of ISA Arcnet cards, hubs and power supplies. If anyone is
              > interested, drop me a note and I'll let you know exactly what I
              have. I
              > can bring the lot along to VCF East, next month.
              >

              > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

              Mike,

              I'd be interested in a couple active hubs and a card or two. One of
              my (future) projects is getting CP/NET working again. This was a
              Digital Research protocol that ran over ARCnet, so having the
              physical layer stuff will be helpful. My system is S100 based but
              having a PC card will allow an emulator connection as well. Should be
              fun.

              I won't be able to attend VCF this year but hopefully it shouldn't be
              too difficult to either ship a small package or hang on to the stuff
              until I get east later in the year.

              Thanks,
              Jack

              Thanks,
              Jack
            • Herb Johnson
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
                http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/

                The page and poster documents were improved with better images of the
                interior boards of the 11/20 and of the front panel. During a visit to
                InfoAge this weekend, I tagged the boxes of the Greenough collection
                and put the rough inventory list as a document into some of the boxes.
                A better picture of all the boxes is also on the Web page. Minor work
                of this sort may continue, I don't anticipate major changes to the
                posters and exhibit.

                Herb Johnson
                retrotechnology.com
              • Herb Johnson
                  been improved and updated. Major development work is now completed.
                  Some work remains.

                  The 11/20 Web page at

                  http://retrotechnology.com/pdp11/index.html

                  ..now has an index, which is followed by the current status of the
                  exhibit, before the Introduction. A large portion of inventory
                  information has been transferred to another Web page. These changes
                  should help in navigation.

                  The Virtual Exhibit Web page at:

                  http://retrotechnology.com/pdp11/PDP_11_exhibit_1.htm

                  ...now includes a Web page with links to the videos for the exhibit.
                  This page shows all the content and the rough arrangement of the
                  physical exhibit, as images. Posters are shown as equivalent HTML
                  documents. Links from the photos go to documents, images and now
                  videos. More information is on the 11/20 Web page.

                  Since we are now at about 30 days before the MARCH museum and VCF-E
                  show, I now consider major development of the 11/20 exhibit CLOSED. No
                  major changes will be made. This is a good opportunity to review the
                  Virtual exhibit to consider any MINOR changes.

                  Remaining work: 1) some DEC books for the exhibit. 2) set up a
                  computer to show the videos. 3) a MARCH-owned DEC card for the
                  exhibit, if available. 4) a Lexan cover for the 11/20 front panel. 5)
                  production of the posters and a full-sized image of the 11/20 boards
                  in place. 6) physical work on the exhibit and artifacts, just before
                  the show.

                  One bit of explanation. Because the 11/20 has its backplane in the top
                  of the case, with the boards hanging DOWN, we can't show the interior
                  of the system. So I'll ask Evan to print a full-sized photo of the
                  cards and THAT will be displayed on TOP of the system.

                  Note to Evan: DOC files for the posters and full size images are
                  available from another section of my Web site. Check the 11/20 Web
                  page "status" section or previous emails from me for links.

                  Herb Johnson
                  retrotechnology.com
                • Ian King
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 15, 2008
                    Well, sorry, I won't be in the area on Sunday.... :-)

                    But I did want to ask a question that we were batting around today. We
                    were commenting on what sorts of machines you see in people's individual
                    collections - for instance, I have a VAX 6000-660, but not an 11/780 in
                    large part because the latter machine pretty much requires three-phase
                    power. But what we were curious about was: does anyone in the
                    hobbyist/collector community have an IBM 360? I knew a guy who was
                    proud of his 1401, and I've seen restoration stories about various other
                    systems, but not a 360.

                    Thoughts? Thanks -- Ian

                    On Fri, 2008-08-15 at 21:17 -0400, Evan wrote:
                    > I'll be at the museum around noon this Sunday and could use 2 or 3
                    > helpers. We are * very close * to being able to set up computers for
                    > exhibiting! Just have to move a few more small-ish things. (I know
                    > I've been saying that for months, but now it's pretty much true...)

                  • Joe Giliberti
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 16, 2008
                      Me and possibly Jeff F./Rose should be available tomorrow. What time? 11a?

                      Joe

                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 16, 2008
                        Message
                        No, 12.  Better chance of me showing up on time that way!

                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 25, 2008
                          http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/

                          As Evan posted, I delivered to MARCH the artifacts for the PDP-11/20
                          exhibit. The Sony VAIO & Linux system was delivered, to show the
                          videos produced by David Gesswein, who has also loaned MARCH a PDP-11
                          card and original paper tape.

                          Additionally, today I have received two PDP-11 paperback "handbooks"
                          from Paul Popelka. He is a PDP-11 owner who contacted MARCH recently.
                          The 1971 PDP-11 Processor Handbook includes the 11/20, that's an
                          important edition. The Peripherals Handbook from 1973 is also
                          appropriate to the 1970 PDP-11/20 on display. I'll confirm with him
                          these are donations, not loans.

                          Also placed with the exhibit, was a 1975 DEC "interfaces handbook"
                          which was originally donated with other books to MARCH by Joe Giliberti.

                          It was common in the 60's and 70's to offer minicomputer documentation
                          in paperback form. These two books were essential to programmers and
                          designers who used the PDP-11. I'm glad MARCH is able to exhibit
                          these. While fragile after almost 40 years, and must be handled with
                          care, now they can be read and enjoyed by visitors to the Exhibit.

                          Herb Johnson
                          retrotechnology.com