Re: Progress on 11/20 exhibit

  • Herb Johnson
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 1, 2008
      http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/

      The PDP-11/20 Web home page above, now starts with a section on the
      upcoming MARCH exhibit of the 11/20. In that section I now link to a
      new Web page which is a "simulation" of the *actual MARCH exhibit*.

      http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/PDP_11_exhibit_1.htm

      (This link may change but the home page will be stable and always
      provide a link.) This page shows represeentations of the PDP-11/20,
      the posters, videos, and other artifacts to be exhibited. The images
      on that page link to full-text versions and images and videos which
      will be exhibited. (The large DOC files and image files of the posters
      are replaced with smaller HTML documents.)

      I want to thank David Gesswein, for loans of a PDP-11 card and a PDP-8
      original paper tape. He's also donated two copies of that paper tape,
      for the public to "examine". The card and original tape will be housed
      in plastic.

      To those who say "I can't wait to see the exhibit", *look at it now*.
      Don't wait! I can fix it now, not later! Once again, PLEASE please
      review these documents. Contact me for changes, corrections, comments.
      I've had some good feedback already and have made changes. Thank you.

      I do not anticipate making major changes or additions. There is not
      enough time left. There is still work to do! But I can correct text
      and manipulate images and so forth. Ultimately Evan will print these
      posters and he'll be reluctant to reprint them!

      Herb Johnson
      retrotechnology.com

      Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
      "Herb's Stuff": old Mac, CP/M, 8-inch floppy drives
      S-100 IMSAI Altair computers & docs by "Dr. S-100"
    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 1, 2008
        Are any of you guys into Arcnet? During a rescue today, I acquired a
        pile of ISA Arcnet cards, hubs and power supplies. If anyone is
        interested, drop me a note and I'll let you know exactly what I have. I
        can bring the lot along to VCF East, next month.

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      • Evan
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 1, 2008
          I never heard of that. Educate us.

          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 1, 2008
            <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARCNET>

            Very interesting. ARCNET is retro... but still in use.

            73 de Ray

            On Aug 1, 2008, at 8:58 PM, Evan wrote:

            > I never heard of that. Educate us.

          • Mike Loewen
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 3, 2008
              On Fri, 1 Aug 2008, Mike Loewen wrote:

              > Are any of you guys into Arcnet? During a rescue today, I acquired a
              > pile of ISA Arcnet cards, hubs and power supplies. If anyone is
              > interested, drop me a note and I'll let you know exactly what I have. I
              > can bring the lot along to VCF East, next month.

              So, no interest in the ARCNET stuff? Next step is to offer to the
              Classic Computers list. Here's what I have:

              Manuals:

              Tiara Lancard/A * PC
              ARCNET User's Manual for CN008AH and CN008TH
              Configuration Guide for the SMC ARCNET-PC130 Network Controller
              Board
              CNet 120A ARCNET User's Manual (qty 4)

              Diskette: ARCNET 5.25" MEGA Diskette #75-00790-3000

              Cards (8-bit ISA):

              SMC ARCNET-PC130 (qty 5)
              Tiara Lancard/A * PC (qty 12)
              CNet ARCNET 120A (qty 1)

              Active Hubs:

              Addtron ARCNET Active Hub, 8-port, ARC800ST (qty 5)
              CNet Arcnet HUB 008AH, 8-port (qty 2)
              (The Addtron and CNet hubs have an internal power supply and take
              a standard power cord)
              Tiara ARCNET LanHub, 8-port (qty 2), Power Supplies (qty 3)
              SMC ARCNET Active Hub, 8-port (qty 15), Power Supplies (qty 9)

              Cables: RG-62A/U (qty 5)

              Again, if anyone has any use for this stuff, I can bring it to VCF
              East. If not, I'll offer it to the CCtalk list.

              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
            • jack99rubin
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
                > Are any of you guys into Arcnet? During a rescue today, I
                acquired a
                > pile of ISA Arcnet cards, hubs and power supplies. If anyone is
                > interested, drop me a note and I'll let you know exactly what I
                have. I
                > can bring the lot along to VCF East, next month.
                >

                > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

                Mike,

                I'd be interested in a couple active hubs and a card or two. One of
                my (future) projects is getting CP/NET working again. This was a
                Digital Research protocol that ran over ARCnet, so having the
                physical layer stuff will be helpful. My system is S100 based but
                having a PC card will allow an emulator connection as well. Should be
                fun.

                I won't be able to attend VCF this year but hopefully it shouldn't be
                too difficult to either ship a small package or hang on to the stuff
                until I get east later in the year.

                Thanks,
                Jack

                Thanks,
                Jack
              • Herb Johnson
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
                  http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/

                  The page and poster documents were improved with better images of the
                  interior boards of the 11/20 and of the front panel. During a visit to
                  InfoAge this weekend, I tagged the boxes of the Greenough collection
                  and put the rough inventory list as a document into some of the boxes.
                  A better picture of all the boxes is also on the Web page. Minor work
                  of this sort may continue, I don't anticipate major changes to the
                  posters and exhibit.

                  Herb Johnson
                  retrotechnology.com
                • Herb Johnson
                    been improved and updated. Major development work is now completed.
                    Some work remains.

                    The 11/20 Web page at

                    http://retrotechnology.com/pdp11/index.html

                    ..now has an index, which is followed by the current status of the
                    exhibit, before the Introduction. A large portion of inventory
                    information has been transferred to another Web page. These changes
                    should help in navigation.

                    The Virtual Exhibit Web page at:

                    http://retrotechnology.com/pdp11/PDP_11_exhibit_1.htm

                    ...now includes a Web page with links to the videos for the exhibit.
                    This page shows all the content and the rough arrangement of the
                    physical exhibit, as images. Posters are shown as equivalent HTML
                    documents. Links from the photos go to documents, images and now
                    videos. More information is on the 11/20 Web page.

                    Since we are now at about 30 days before the MARCH museum and VCF-E
                    show, I now consider major development of the 11/20 exhibit CLOSED. No
                    major changes will be made. This is a good opportunity to review the
                    Virtual exhibit to consider any MINOR changes.

                    Remaining work: 1) some DEC books for the exhibit. 2) set up a
                    computer to show the videos. 3) a MARCH-owned DEC card for the
                    exhibit, if available. 4) a Lexan cover for the 11/20 front panel. 5)
                    production of the posters and a full-sized image of the 11/20 boards
                    in place. 6) physical work on the exhibit and artifacts, just before
                    the show.

                    One bit of explanation. Because the 11/20 has its backplane in the top
                    of the case, with the boards hanging DOWN, we can't show the interior
                    of the system. So I'll ask Evan to print a full-sized photo of the
                    cards and THAT will be displayed on TOP of the system.

                    Note to Evan: DOC files for the posters and full size images are
                    available from another section of my Web site. Check the 11/20 Web
                    page "status" section or previous emails from me for links.

                    Herb Johnson
                    retrotechnology.com
                  • Ian King
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 15, 2008
                      Well, sorry, I won't be in the area on Sunday.... :-)

                      But I did want to ask a question that we were batting around today. We
                      were commenting on what sorts of machines you see in people's individual
                      collections - for instance, I have a VAX 6000-660, but not an 11/780 in
                      large part because the latter machine pretty much requires three-phase
                      power. But what we were curious about was: does anyone in the
                      hobbyist/collector community have an IBM 360? I knew a guy who was
                      proud of his 1401, and I've seen restoration stories about various other
                      systems, but not a 360.

                      Thoughts? Thanks -- Ian

                      On Fri, 2008-08-15 at 21:17 -0400, Evan wrote:
                      > I'll be at the museum around noon this Sunday and could use 2 or 3
                      > helpers. We are * very close * to being able to set up computers for
                      > exhibiting! Just have to move a few more small-ish things. (I know
                      > I've been saying that for months, but now it's pretty much true...)

                    • Joe Giliberti
                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 16, 2008
                        Me and possibly Jeff F./Rose should be available tomorrow. What time? 11a?

                        Joe

                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 16, 2008
                          Message
                          No, 12.  Better chance of me showing up on time that way!

                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 25, 2008
                            http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/

                            As Evan posted, I delivered to MARCH the artifacts for the PDP-11/20
                            exhibit. The Sony VAIO & Linux system was delivered, to show the
                            videos produced by David Gesswein, who has also loaned MARCH a PDP-11
                            card and original paper tape.

                            Additionally, today I have received two PDP-11 paperback "handbooks"
                            from Paul Popelka. He is a PDP-11 owner who contacted MARCH recently.
                            The 1971 PDP-11 Processor Handbook includes the 11/20, that's an
                            important edition. The Peripherals Handbook from 1973 is also
                            appropriate to the 1970 PDP-11/20 on display. I'll confirm with him
                            these are donations, not loans.

                            Also placed with the exhibit, was a 1975 DEC "interfaces handbook"
                            which was originally donated with other books to MARCH by Joe Giliberti.

                            It was common in the 60's and 70's to offer minicomputer documentation
                            in paperback form. These two books were essential to programmers and
                            designers who used the PDP-11. I'm glad MARCH is able to exhibit
                            these. While fragile after almost 40 years, and must be handled with
                            care, now they can be read and enjoyed by visitors to the Exhibit.

                            Herb Johnson
                            retrotechnology.com