Re: [midatlanticretro] VCF east 5.0 T-Shirts - Just doodling some ideas here

  • Bob Applegate
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 31, 2008
      Of course, you also ask them to do it with a generic atobase() function that they have
      to pass in a pointer to a function to handle the conversion, right?  Without a decent
      "pass a pointer to a function that returns a pointer to another function" question, the
      whole interview process is pretty meaningless, ;-)

      Bob (who's been through 8+ hour interviews for software engineering positions)

      On Jul 30, 2008, at 11:28 PM, Ian King wrote:

      What, no octal references?

      When interviewing candidates for hire as test developers, I sometimes
      ask them to code "otoi(char *exp)", where exp is a (null terminated)
      string representation of an octal number. It will quite often FREAK OUT
      the younger candidates, who are completely unprepared to deal with such
      an 'odd' number system. Of course, it's an easy variant on atoi(), but
      the idea of octal wasn't, well, 'computing'. ... -- Ian

      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 31, 2008
        I like them

        At 10:31 PM 7/30/2008 -0700, you wrote:
        >Not to take anything away from it - they're very cool. :-) I'd go for
        >a 'heavy machinery' shirt in any case.... -- Ian
        >
        >On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 23:42 -0400, Dan Roganti wrote:
        > >
        > > Ima workin' on it :)
        > >
        > > =Dan
        > >
        > > Ian King wrote:
        > > > What, no octal references?
        > > >
        > > > When interviewing candidates for hire as test developers, I
        > > sometimes
        > > > ask them to code "otoi(char *exp)", where exp is a (null terminated)
        > > > string representation of an octal number. It will quite often FREAK
        > > OUT
        > > > the younger candidates, who are completely unprepared to deal with
        > > such
        > > > an 'odd' number system. Of course, it's an easy variant on atoi(),
        > > but
        > > > the idea of octal wasn't, well, 'computing'.... -- Ian

      • Bryan Pope
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 31, 2008
          Dan Roganti wrote:
          > They're removed from the CafePress website and I uploaded these here for
          > viewing.
          > http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/files/vintage/MARCH/

          I like the first one the best, but maybe the t-shirt should have a grand
          opening theme since it will be the official opening of InfoAge?

          Thanks!,

          Bryan

          > =Dan
          >

          > Jim Scheef wrote:
          >
          >> Boo! Not before I get to see them...
          >>

          > Evan Koblentz wrote:
          >
          >> Dan,
          >>
          >> Those look pretty good, but please remove them from the public-facing
          >> CafePress site. I'll send you a private message about t-shirt designs.
          >>
          >> - EK

        • fairlanefastback
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 31, 2008
            I like "Heavy Machinary" the most.

            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 31, 2008
              Dan,

              W@y cuil. The list of exhibitors goes on the back?

              The shirt design should also recognize the museum grand opening.

              Jim

              Evan Koblentz wrote:
              > Dan,
              >
              > Those look pretty good, but please remove them from the public-facing
              > CafePress site.  I'll send you a private message about t-shirt designs.
              >
              > - EK

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Dan Roganti
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 31, 2008

                Yes, the list of exhibitors and sponsors would go on the back , just as before.

                I'm working on another one this week. It's one with a Teletype in place of the Terminal. I just don't know if I should use the same kid from my other one or draw in a geeky fellow on there.

                I haven't found enough funny things about Octal. Just the one good one about Oct.31, Halloween = Dec.25, December
                I could use some more funny ones about Engineering.(that would fit on a t-shirt)

                I can add the 'Grand Opening" line in place of the VCF e5.0 line at the bottom there(since it's kind of redundant).
                Is it really the Grand Opening of InfoAge or the MARCH Museum at InfoAge ?
                What should that line actually say then ?
                Something like, "MARCH Museum Grand Opening" ?

                I also have a list of other funny things to use in place on any t-shirt instead of the current ones on there.
                There's just too many out there that can be used.
                I suppose you've seen these before, it's pretty much public domain;
                BBSing is a terminal disease and I have the ANSI strain
                (A)bort, (R)etry, (G)et a beer
                All wiyht. Rho sritched mg kegtops awound?
                f u cn rd ths u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgrmmng
                Alcohol & Calculus don't mix. Never drink & derive.
                The name is Baud...James Baud
                E Pluribus Modem
                ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI!
                Honor thy SysOp
                Thou shalt not post messages on the BBS while drunk
                EMACS: Excavating Mayan Architecture Comes Simpler
                SCSI: System Can't See It
                LISP: Lots of Infuriating & Silly Parenthesis
                ALGOL68 programmers do it od
                APL programmers do it in a line
                FORTRAN programmers do it with double precision
                LISP programmers (do (it (with (parenthesis))))
                Oct.31, Halloween = Dec.25, December

                I can make a file with each one of these if you want.

                thanks for all the comments.

                =Dan

                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 1 8:05 AM
                  Dan,

                  It's the Grand Opening of the MARCH Museum. InfoAge has been open for several years.

                  Are you sure these designs will fit in the CafePress print area on a tee shirt? I seem to remember (and too damn lazy to look) that they limit the print area more than a typical screen printer would.

                  Jim

                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 1 8:39 PM
                    Ok , that's what I figured, I just didn't know what the proper wording should be.

                    Cafepress actually does the resizing automatically to make it fit on the T-shirt. The preview files on my webpage may not be too scale :)

                    Did you guys still want to use Cafepress ?, 'cause I didn't see the 4.0 shirts on there, I figured you signed up with some other place.

                    =Dan

                    From: Jim Scheef <jscheef@...>

                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 1 8:45 PM
                      Stopped using CP just because it wasn't worth the effort.

                      To get a VCF shirt, one must attend a VCF. Or buy a leftover.

                      From: Jim Scheef <jscheef@...>
                      > Dan,
                      >
                      > It's the Grand Opening of the MARCH Museum. InfoAge has been open for
                      > several
                      > years.
                      >
                      > Are you sure these designs will fit in the CafePress print area on a
                      > tee shirt?
                      > I seem to remember (and too damn lazy to look) that they limit the print
                      area
                      > more than a typical screen printer would.
                      >
                      > Jim

                    • Stan Brewer
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 4 8:14 PM
                        I like "Heavy Machinery", then again I like the B-205 : ).

                                            Stan

                        Evan Koblentz wrote:
                        > Dan,
                        >
                        > Those look pretty good, but please remove them from the public-facing
                        > CafePress site. I'll send you a private message about t-shirt designs.
                        >
                        > - EK

                      • Dan Roganti
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 8 7:21 PM
                          I added the Teletype on the T-Shirt
                          http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/files/vintage/MARCH/

                          --you like ?

                          =Dan

                          Evan Koblentz wrote:
                          > Stopped using CP just because it wasn't worth the effort.
                          >
                          > To get a VCF shirt, one must attend a VCF. Or buy a leftover.

                        • Ian King
                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 9 12:27 AM
                            That's COOL! I want one -- Ian

                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 8, 2008
                              Fairlane -- I have a question for you, but I couldn't find your email
                              address. Please send it in a private email to me. evan@...