RE: [midatlanticretro] VCF east 5.0 T-Shirts - Just doodling some ideas here

    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 29, 2008
      Dan,

      Those look pretty good, but please remove them from the public-facing
      CafePress site. I'll send you a private message about t-shirt designs.

      - EK

      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 30, 2008
        They're removed from the CafePress website and I uploaded these here for
        viewing.
        http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/files/vintage/MARCH/

        =Dan

        Evan Koblentz wrote:
        > Dan,
        >
        > Those look pretty good, but please remove them from the public-facing
        > CafePress site. I'll send you a private message about t-shirt designs.
        >
        > - EK

      • Ian King
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 30, 2008
          What, no octal references?

          When interviewing candidates for hire as test developers, I sometimes
          ask them to code "otoi(char *exp)", where exp is a (null terminated)
          string representation of an octal number. It will quite often FREAK OUT
          the younger candidates, who are completely unprepared to deal with such
          an 'odd' number system. Of course, it's an easy variant on atoi(), but
          the idea of octal wasn't, well, 'computing'.... -- Ian

          On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 21:48 -0400, Dan Roganti wrote:

          > They're removed from the CafePress website and I uploaded these here
          > for
          > viewing.
          > http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/files/vintage/MARCH/
          >
          > =Dan
          >
          > Jim Scheef wrote:
          > > Boo! Not before I get to see them...
          > >

          > Evan Koblentz wrote:
          > > Dan,
          > >
          > > Those look pretty good, but please remove them from the
          > public-facing
          > > CafePress site. I'll send you a private message about t-shirt
          > designs.
          > >
          > > - EK

        • Dan Roganti
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 30, 2008
            Ima workin' on it :)

            =Dan

            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 30, 2008
              Not to take anything away from it - they're very cool. :-) I'd go for
              a 'heavy machinery' shirt in any case.... -- Ian

              On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 23:42 -0400, Dan Roganti wrote:

              > Ima workin' on it :)
              >
              > =Dan
              >
              > Ian King wrote:
              > > What, no octal references?
              > >
              > > When interviewing candidates for hire as test developers, I
              > sometimes
              > > ask them to code "otoi(char *exp)", where exp is a (null terminated)
              > > string representation of an octal number. It will quite often FREAK
              > OUT
              > > the younger candidates, who are completely unprepared to deal with
              > such
              > > an 'odd' number system. Of course, it's an easy variant on atoi(),
              > but
              > > the idea of octal wasn't, well, 'computing'.... -- Ian

            • Bob Applegate
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 31, 2008
                Of course, you also ask them to do it with a generic atobase() function that they have
                to pass in a pointer to a function to handle the conversion, right?  Without a decent
                "pass a pointer to a function that returns a pointer to another function" question, the
                whole interview process is pretty meaningless, ;-)

                Bob (who's been through 8+ hour interviews for software engineering positions)

                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 31, 2008
                  I like them

                  At 10:31 PM 7/30/2008 -0700, you wrote:
                  >Not to take anything away from it - they're very cool. :-) I'd go for
                  >a 'heavy machinery' shirt in any case.... -- Ian
                  >
                  >On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 23:42 -0400, Dan Roganti wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Ima workin' on it :)
                  > >
                  > > =Dan
                  > >
                  > > Ian King wrote:
                  > > > What, no octal references?
                  > > >
                  > > > When interviewing candidates for hire as test developers, I
                  > > sometimes
                  > > > ask them to code "otoi(char *exp)", where exp is a (null terminated)
                  > > > string representation of an octal number. It will quite often FREAK
                  > > OUT
                  > > > the younger candidates, who are completely unprepared to deal with
                  > > such
                  > > > an 'odd' number system. Of course, it's an easy variant on atoi(),
                  > > but
                  > > > the idea of octal wasn't, well, 'computing'.... -- Ian

                • Bryan Pope
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 31, 2008
                    Dan Roganti wrote:
                    > They're removed from the CafePress website and I uploaded these here for
                    > viewing.
                    > http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/files/vintage/MARCH/

                    I like the first one the best, but maybe the t-shirt should have a grand
                    opening theme since it will be the official opening of InfoAge?

                    Thanks!,

                    Bryan

                    > =Dan
                    >

                    > Jim Scheef wrote:
                    >
                    >> Boo! Not before I get to see them...
                    >>

                    > Evan Koblentz wrote:
                    >
                    >> Dan,
                    >>
                    >> Those look pretty good, but please remove them from the public-facing
                    >> CafePress site. I'll send you a private message about t-shirt designs.
                    >>
                    >> - EK

                  • fairlanefastback
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 31, 2008
                      I like "Heavy Machinary" the most.

                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 31, 2008
                        Dan,

                        W@y cuil. The list of exhibitors goes on the back?

                        The shirt design should also recognize the museum grand opening.

                        Jim

                        Evan Koblentz wrote:
                        > Dan,
                        >
                        > Those look pretty good, but please remove them from the public-facing
                        > CafePress site.  I'll send you a private message about t-shirt designs.
                        >
                        > - EK

                        <*> Your email settings:
                            Individual Email | Traditional

                        <*> To change settings online go to:
                            (Yahoo! ID required)

                        <*> To change settings via email:

                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      • Dan Roganti
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 31, 2008

                          Yes, the list of exhibitors and sponsors would go on the back , just as before.

                          I'm working on another one this week. It's one with a Teletype in place of the Terminal. I just don't know if I should use the same kid from my other one or draw in a geeky fellow on there.

                          I haven't found enough funny things about Octal. Just the one good one about Oct.31, Halloween = Dec.25, December
                          I could use some more funny ones about Engineering.(that would fit on a t-shirt)

                          I can add the 'Grand Opening" line in place of the VCF e5.0 line at the bottom there(since it's kind of redundant).
                          Is it really the Grand Opening of InfoAge or the MARCH Museum at InfoAge ?
                          What should that line actually say then ?
                          Something like, "MARCH Museum Grand Opening" ?

                          I also have a list of other funny things to use in place on any t-shirt instead of the current ones on there.
                          There's just too many out there that can be used.
                          I suppose you've seen these before, it's pretty much public domain;
                          BBSing is a terminal disease and I have the ANSI strain
                          (A)bort, (R)etry, (G)et a beer
                          All wiyht. Rho sritched mg kegtops awound?
                          f u cn rd ths u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgrmmng
                          Alcohol & Calculus don't mix. Never drink & derive.
                          The name is Baud...James Baud
                          E Pluribus Modem
                          ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI!
                          Honor thy SysOp
                          Thou shalt not post messages on the BBS while drunk
                          EMACS: Excavating Mayan Architecture Comes Simpler
                          SCSI: System Can't See It
                          LISP: Lots of Infuriating & Silly Parenthesis
                          ALGOL68 programmers do it od
                          APL programmers do it in a line
                          FORTRAN programmers do it with double precision
                          LISP programmers (do (it (with (parenthesis))))
                          Oct.31, Halloween = Dec.25, December

                          I can make a file with each one of these if you want.

                          thanks for all the comments.

                          =Dan

                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 1, 2008
                            Dan,

                            It's the Grand Opening of the MARCH Museum. InfoAge has been open for several years.

                            Are you sure these designs will fit in the CafePress print area on a tee shirt? I seem to remember (and too damn lazy to look) that they limit the print area more than a typical screen printer would.

                            Jim

                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 1, 2008
                              Ok , that's what I figured, I just didn't know what the proper wording should be.

                              Cafepress actually does the resizing automatically to make it fit on the T-shirt. The preview files on my webpage may not be too scale :)

                              Did you guys still want to use Cafepress ?, 'cause I didn't see the 4.0 shirts on there, I figured you signed up with some other place.

                              =Dan

                              From: Jim Scheef <jscheef@...>

                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 1, 2008
                                Stopped using CP just because it wasn't worth the effort.

                                To get a VCF shirt, one must attend a VCF. Or buy a leftover.

                                From: Jim Scheef <jscheef@...>
                                > Dan,
                                >
                                > It's the Grand Opening of the MARCH Museum. InfoAge has been open for
                                > several
                                > years.
                                >
                                > Are you sure these designs will fit in the CafePress print area on a
                                > tee shirt?
                                > I seem to remember (and too damn lazy to look) that they limit the print
                                area
                                > more than a typical screen printer would.
                                >
                                > Jim

                              • Stan Brewer
                                Message 15 of 19 , Aug 4, 2008
                                  I like "Heavy Machinery", then again I like the B-205 : ).

                                                      Stan

                                  Evan Koblentz wrote:
                                  > Dan,
                                  >
                                  > Those look pretty good, but please remove them from the public-facing
                                  > CafePress site. I'll send you a private message about t-shirt designs.
                                  >
                                  > - EK

                                • Dan Roganti
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Aug 8, 2008
                                    I added the Teletype on the T-Shirt
                                    http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/files/vintage/MARCH/

                                    --you like ?

                                    =Dan

                                    Evan Koblentz wrote:
                                    > Stopped using CP just because it wasn't worth the effort.
                                    >
                                    > To get a VCF shirt, one must attend a VCF. Or buy a leftover.

                                  • Ian King
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Aug 9, 2008
                                      That's COOL! I want one -- Ian

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Sep 8, 2008
                                        Fairlane -- I have a question for you, but I couldn't find your email
                                        address. Please send it in a private email to me. evan@...