VCF east 5.0 T-Shirts - Just doodling some ideas here

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 29, 2008
      Evan et al,

      I thought I let you see some doodles I made to go on T-Shirts for VCF
      I felt it could be something to add some variety for the event.
      You can go ahead and use these if you like, consider it another form of
      donation.
      Anything you might want to edit just let me know.

      Of course the back side is still old, since the exhibitor list isn't
      complete yet.
      Nobody should buy these at his time, since they have to be updated with
      the new exhibitor info.
      I just went ahead and made some examples to let you see them.
      http://www.cafepress.com/Ragooman

      Let me know what you think.

      =Dan
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 29, 2008
        Dan,

        Those look pretty good, but please remove them from the public-facing
        CafePress site. I'll send you a private message about t-shirt designs.

        - EK

        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 30, 2008
          They're removed from the CafePress website and I uploaded these here for
          viewing.
          http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/files/vintage/MARCH/

          =Dan

          Evan Koblentz wrote:
          > Dan,
          >
          > Those look pretty good, but please remove them from the public-facing
          > CafePress site. I'll send you a private message about t-shirt designs.
          >
          > - EK

        • Ian King
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 30, 2008
            What, no octal references?

            When interviewing candidates for hire as test developers, I sometimes
            ask them to code "otoi(char *exp)", where exp is a (null terminated)
            string representation of an octal number. It will quite often FREAK OUT
            the younger candidates, who are completely unprepared to deal with such
            an 'odd' number system. Of course, it's an easy variant on atoi(), but
            the idea of octal wasn't, well, 'computing'.... -- Ian

            On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 21:48 -0400, Dan Roganti wrote:

            > They're removed from the CafePress website and I uploaded these here
            > for
            > viewing.
            > http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/files/vintage/MARCH/
            >
            > =Dan
            >
            > Jim Scheef wrote:
            > > Boo! Not before I get to see them...
            > >

            > Evan Koblentz wrote:
            > > Dan,
            > >
            > > Those look pretty good, but please remove them from the
            > public-facing
            > > CafePress site. I'll send you a private message about t-shirt
            > designs.
            > >
            > > - EK

          • Dan Roganti
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 30, 2008
              Ima workin' on it :)

              =Dan

              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 30, 2008
                Not to take anything away from it - they're very cool. :-) I'd go for
                a 'heavy machinery' shirt in any case.... -- Ian

                On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 23:42 -0400, Dan Roganti wrote:

                > Ima workin' on it :)
                >
                > =Dan
                >
                > Ian King wrote:
                > > What, no octal references?
                > >
                > > When interviewing candidates for hire as test developers, I
                > sometimes
                > > ask them to code "otoi(char *exp)", where exp is a (null terminated)
                > > string representation of an octal number. It will quite often FREAK
                > OUT
                > > the younger candidates, who are completely unprepared to deal with
                > such
                > > an 'odd' number system. Of course, it's an easy variant on atoi(),
                > but
                > > the idea of octal wasn't, well, 'computing'.... -- Ian

              • Bob Applegate
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 31, 2008
                  Of course, you also ask them to do it with a generic atobase() function that they have
                  to pass in a pointer to a function to handle the conversion, right?  Without a decent
                  "pass a pointer to a function that returns a pointer to another function" question, the
                  whole interview process is pretty meaningless, ;-)

                  Bob (who's been through 8+ hour interviews for software engineering positions)

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 31, 2008
                    I like them

                    At 10:31 PM 7/30/2008 -0700, you wrote:
                    >Not to take anything away from it - they're very cool. :-) I'd go for
                    >a 'heavy machinery' shirt in any case.... -- Ian
                    >
                    >On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 23:42 -0400, Dan Roganti wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Ima workin' on it :)
                    > >
                    > > =Dan
                    > >
                    > > Ian King wrote:
                    > > > What, no octal references?
                    > > >
                    > > > When interviewing candidates for hire as test developers, I
                    > > sometimes
                    > > > ask them to code "otoi(char *exp)", where exp is a (null terminated)
                    > > > string representation of an octal number. It will quite often FREAK
                    > > OUT
                    > > > the younger candidates, who are completely unprepared to deal with
                    > > such
                    > > > an 'odd' number system. Of course, it's an easy variant on atoi(),
                    > > but
                    > > > the idea of octal wasn't, well, 'computing'.... -- Ian

                  • Bryan Pope
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 31, 2008
                      Dan Roganti wrote:
                      > They're removed from the CafePress website and I uploaded these here for
                      > viewing.
                      > http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/files/vintage/MARCH/

                      I like the first one the best, but maybe the t-shirt should have a grand
                      opening theme since it will be the official opening of InfoAge?

                      Thanks!,

                      Bryan

                      > =Dan
                      >

                      > Jim Scheef wrote:
                      >
                      >> Boo! Not before I get to see them...
                      >>

                      > Evan Koblentz wrote:
                      >
                      >> Dan,
                      >>
                      >> Those look pretty good, but please remove them from the public-facing
                      >> CafePress site. I'll send you a private message about t-shirt designs.
                      >>
                      >> - EK

                    • fairlanefastback
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 31, 2008
                        I like "Heavy Machinary" the most.

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 31, 2008
                          Dan,

                          W@y cuil. The list of exhibitors goes on the back?

                          The shirt design should also recognize the museum grand opening.

                          Jim

                          Evan Koblentz wrote:
                          > Dan,
                          >
                          > Those look pretty good, but please remove them from the public-facing
                          > CafePress site.  I'll send you a private message about t-shirt designs.
                          >
                          > - EK

                          <*> Your email settings:
                              Individual Email | Traditional

                          <*> To change settings online go to:
                              (Yahoo! ID required)

                          <*> To change settings via email:

                              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        • Dan Roganti
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 31, 2008

                            Yes, the list of exhibitors and sponsors would go on the back , just as before.

                            I'm working on another one this week. It's one with a Teletype in place of the Terminal. I just don't know if I should use the same kid from my other one or draw in a geeky fellow on there.

                            I haven't found enough funny things about Octal. Just the one good one about Oct.31, Halloween = Dec.25, December
                            I could use some more funny ones about Engineering.(that would fit on a t-shirt)

                            I can add the 'Grand Opening" line in place of the VCF e5.0 line at the bottom there(since it's kind of redundant).
                            Is it really the Grand Opening of InfoAge or the MARCH Museum at InfoAge ?
                            What should that line actually say then ?
                            Something like, "MARCH Museum Grand Opening" ?

                            I also have a list of other funny things to use in place on any t-shirt instead of the current ones on there.
                            There's just too many out there that can be used.
                            I suppose you've seen these before, it's pretty much public domain;
                            BBSing is a terminal disease and I have the ANSI strain
                            (A)bort, (R)etry, (G)et a beer
                            All wiyht. Rho sritched mg kegtops awound?
                            f u cn rd ths u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgrmmng
                            Alcohol & Calculus don't mix. Never drink & derive.
                            The name is Baud...James Baud
                            E Pluribus Modem
                            ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI!
                            Honor thy SysOp
                            Thou shalt not post messages on the BBS while drunk
                            EMACS: Excavating Mayan Architecture Comes Simpler
                            SCSI: System Can't See It
                            LISP: Lots of Infuriating & Silly Parenthesis
                            ALGOL68 programmers do it od
                            APL programmers do it in a line
                            FORTRAN programmers do it with double precision
                            LISP programmers (do (it (with (parenthesis))))
                            Oct.31, Halloween = Dec.25, December

                            I can make a file with each one of these if you want.

                            thanks for all the comments.

                            =Dan

                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 1, 2008
                              Dan,

                              It's the Grand Opening of the MARCH Museum. InfoAge has been open for several years.

                              Are you sure these designs will fit in the CafePress print area on a tee shirt? I seem to remember (and too damn lazy to look) that they limit the print area more than a typical screen printer would.

                              Jim

                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 1, 2008
                                Ok , that's what I figured, I just didn't know what the proper wording should be.

                                Cafepress actually does the resizing automatically to make it fit on the T-shirt. The preview files on my webpage may not be too scale :)

                                Did you guys still want to use Cafepress ?, 'cause I didn't see the 4.0 shirts on there, I figured you signed up with some other place.

                                =Dan

                                From: Jim Scheef <jscheef@...>

                                Message 15 of 19 , Aug 1, 2008
                                  Stopped using CP just because it wasn't worth the effort.

                                  To get a VCF shirt, one must attend a VCF. Or buy a leftover.

                                  From: Jim Scheef <jscheef@...>
                                  > Dan,
                                  >
                                  > It's the Grand Opening of the MARCH Museum. InfoAge has been open for
                                  > several
                                  > years.
                                  >
                                  > Are you sure these designs will fit in the CafePress print area on a
                                  > tee shirt?
                                  > I seem to remember (and too damn lazy to look) that they limit the print
                                  area
                                  > more than a typical screen printer would.
                                  >
                                  > Jim

                                • Stan Brewer
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Aug 4, 2008
                                    I like "Heavy Machinery", then again I like the B-205 : ).

                                                        Stan

                                    Evan Koblentz wrote:
                                    > Dan,
                                    >
                                    > Those look pretty good, but please remove them from the public-facing
                                    > CafePress site. I'll send you a private message about t-shirt designs.
                                    >
                                    > - EK

                                  • Dan Roganti
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Aug 8, 2008
                                      I added the Teletype on the T-Shirt
                                      http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/files/vintage/MARCH/

                                      --you like ?

                                      =Dan

                                      Evan Koblentz wrote:
                                      > Stopped using CP just because it wasn't worth the effort.
                                      >
                                      > To get a VCF shirt, one must attend a VCF. Or buy a leftover.

                                    • Ian King
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Aug 9, 2008
                                        That's COOL! I want one -- Ian

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Sep 8, 2008
                                          Fairlane -- I have a question for you, but I couldn't find your email
                                          address. Please send it in a private email to me. evan@...