SWTPc 6800 and Teletype Model ASR 33

    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 28, 2008
      Thanks to Bob Grieb and Dan Rongati ...

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu0UTWh-HM4

      This video depicts me using an ASR 33 teletype as a terminal with an SWTPc
      6800 computer. The RAM cards are jumper'ed (at present) to 0000 -- 0FFF
      and 7000 -- 7FFF. The processor card uses some of
      A000 --->, and the SWTBUG uses the E000 --> page.

      enjoy...I will write more on the how/when/where's of this restoration
      project asap.

      Bill
    • Bryan Pope
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 28, 2008
        B. Degnan wrote:
        > Thanks to Bob Grieb and Dan Rongati ...
        >
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu0UTWh-HM4
        >

        > This video depicts me using an ASR 33 teletype as a terminal with an SWTPc
        > 6800 computer. The RAM cards are jumper'ed (at present) to 0000 -- 0FFF
        > and 7000 -- 7FFF. The processor card uses some of
        > A000 --->, and the SWTBUG uses the E000 --> page.
        >
        > enjoy...I will write more on the how/when/where's of this restoration
        > project asap.

        The ASR 33... Is that the one I saw at your place that IIRC was not
        working at the time? *Very* cool to see it working! It looks like we
        could *almost* see the printing on the chips of the SWTPc if there was
        more light.. Maybe..

        Nice job!

        Cheers,

        Bryan

          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 28, 2008
            "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

            > Thanks to Bob Grieb and Dan Ragonti I mean.
            >
            > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu0UTWh-HM4
            >

            > This video depicts me using an ASR 33 teletype as a terminal with an
            SWTPc
            > 6800 computer.

            Nice to see and hear the old iron and silicon at work again.

            It's interesting to me to see UTube videos and blogs about these
            microcomputers, versus the "old school" approach I use on my Web site.
            I have descriptions and documents, very few videos. My oldest content
            is pre-Internet: "here's a list of manuals, get a copy, read the
            manual, dammit!" No blogging, but I add links and content from others,
            even some condensed Usenet discussions.

            I think MARCH is useful in that it brings a variety of micro-computing
            people together, with different ways of presenting this history and
            technology. And I learn accordingly, how to present this material and
            what needs to be presented to today's audiences. That's a challenge
            for all of us, I believe, who work to show what we have.

            Herb Johnson
            old dog learns new tricks
            retrotechnology.com
          • Stan Brewer

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 5, 2008
                On Tue, 5 Aug 2008, Stan Brewer wrote:

                > Great seeing an ASR 33 again! I used one as a Radio Operator in Southern
                > Turkey in 1977-78. Use to wrap paper tape in a figure 8.

                I just picked up an ASR-33, as well. It's dirty and the spacing belt
                is stretched, but is eminently repairable. My project list is backing up,
                fast!

                Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 5, 2008
                  At 07:27 AM 8/5/2008 -0400, you wrote:
                  >On Tue, 5 Aug 2008, Stan Brewer wrote:
                  >
                  > > Great seeing an ASR 33 again! I used one as a Radio Operator in Southern
                  > > Turkey in 1977-78. Use to wrap paper tape in a figure 8.
                  >
                  > I just picked up an ASR-33, as well. It's dirty and the spacing belt
                  >is stretched, but is eminently repairable. My project list is backing up,
                  >fast!

                  Me too:

                  I plan to take an entire day off from work later this week to give
                  undivided attention to my VCF Exhibit in an effort to catch up a bit. I
                  keep allowing myself to get side tracked with other VC projects.

                  Bill
                • Mike Loewen
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 5, 2008
                    On Tue, 5 Aug 2008, B. Degnan wrote:

                    > I plan to take an entire day off from work later this week to give
                    > undivided attention to my VCF Exhibit in an effort to catch up a bit. I
                    > keep allowing myself to get side tracked with other VC projects.

                    That's a problem for me, too. If an interesting piece of hardware
                    becomes available, I feel obligated to pick it up because one of those
                    might never be available again. Then, of course, I have to play with it.
                    :-)

                    Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                  • schwepes@moog.netaxs.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 6, 2008
                      My ISP has decided to dispense with its telnet service and shell
                      accounts as of the first of next month. Does anyone know of a
                      service I can migrate to that will permit me to use these
                      now primative systems?
                      I'm just outside of Philadelphia.
                      bs
                    • Bill Degnan
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 6, 2008

                        > My ISP has decided to dispense with its telnet service and shell
                        > accounts as of the first of next month. Does anyone know of a
                        > service I can migrate to that will permit me to use these
                        > now primative systems?
                        > I'm just outside of Philadelphia.
                        > bs

                        the internet is becoming a gated community. Shell is vital for managing a UNIX box remotely, but I can see why ISP's are shutting them down. We don't allow them here either, or FTP for that matter. It's a security thing.
                      • John Allain
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 6, 2008
                          > My ISP has decided to dispense with its telnet service and shell
                          > accounts as of the first of next month. Does anyone know of a
                          > service I can migrate to that will permit me to use these
                          > now primative systems?

                          Public Access Networks - Panix
                          still has shell.

                          http://www.panix.com/shell.html

                          > I'm just outside of Philadelphia.

                          Over Dial-Up you might have a problem.
                          Panix is ~= NYC +/- 50 miles.

                          John A.

                          Areas' ISP with the most history, AFAIK.
                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 8, 2008
                            bs,

                            Take a look at FreeShell.org. I think this is exactly what you are looking for. I have a friend in my local computer club who also wants to do everything via SSH. While you contemplate making a change, consider the wisdom of separating your Internet services from your Internet access. Once you do you can shop for the best deal for Internet access without worrying about how that ISP does email.

                            Jim

                            My ISP has decided to dispense with its telnet service and shell
                            accounts as of the first of next month.  Does anyone know of a
                            service I can migrate to that will permit me to use these
                            now primative systems?
                            I'm just outside of Philadelphia.
                            bs

                            <*> Your email settings: