Re: [midatlanticretro] Grabbe collection

  • William Donzelli
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 27, 2008
      > Yes, of course. How could that have be unclear to you?

      Well, lack of a museum charter, bylaws, collection policy...minor details...

      --
      Will
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 27, 2008
        >>> The items are under general InfoAge control, with MARCH as caretaker.

        Correct. InfoAge literally owns the Grabbe collection. It was donated to
        InfoAge before MARCH existed.

        When Fred first invited MARCH to join InfoAge, the basic deal was that
        InfoAge would "give" MARCH the Grabbe collection, i.e., we'd become its
        curator but InfoAge perpetually owns it. In exchange for maintaining and
        exhibiting this collection, we get space and the right to bring in our own
        artifacts.

        For the computers side of his collection, it makes sense that we should
        initially pick out some that are labeled as AMP gear. For the chips side,
        we should exhibit AMP and some of the more historic names from that
        collection (ILLIAC, Burroughs, UNIVAC, Fairchild, etc. .... the list goes on
        and on).

        In the future (next year) we can consider expanding those into a full-blown
        chips collection.
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 27, 2008

          >> Well, lack of a museum charter, bylaws, collection policy...minor
          details...

          Bill D. has been involved since the very beginning. He doesn't need bylaws
          to know these things.
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 27, 2008
            details...

            I know I said this about a year ago ... and probably the year before that,
            too ... but I still strongly believe that what our club needs is less talk
            and more action. Me, Jim S., Bill D., and about a dozen others here do the
            vast majority of the actual work. That is fine; I understand that's how
            most groups shake out. I don't mean this ** AT ALL ** to pick on Will (who
            helped us plenty in the past, for example ahead of VCF last year) ... but I
            do feel that anyone who suggests ways for MARCH to improve should ask
            themselves, "How can ** I ** help the club reach the goals that I'm
            suggesting?"

            Some people HAVE offered to help and have been told by me, "thank you, but
            please hold off" -- for everything from library organization to marketing to
            specific exhibits and more. It's my job (I suppose) to keep our ship
            sailing in a good direction without too many distractions. So far I think
            we're doing very well -- we developed a successful online community for
            local collectors that didn't have anyplace else to turn; we ran a good demo
            exhibit for the past couple of years, we put on two superb VCFs, we built an
            impressive and large collection, we moved MARCH into the focus of the local
            tech scene; we became good InfoAge citizens, and financially we are in the
            black. So if I may for just one moment: "Toot." (That was the sound of my
            own horn.)

            Now we are VERY close to opening the first wave of our significantly
            expanded museum space. The ** BEST ** way for everyone to help is to show
            up for some of the next few Sundays, ready to get dirty and sweaty.
          • Sridhar Ayengar
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 27, 2008
              Evan Koblentz wrote:

              >>> Well, lack of a museum charter, bylaws, collection policy...minor
              > details...
              >
              > Bill D. has been involved since the very beginning. He doesn't need bylaws
              > to know these things.

              That doesn't mean they shouldn't exist.

              Peace... Sridhar
            • William Donzelli
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 27, 2008
                > I know I said this about a year ago ... and probably the year before that,
                > too ... but I still strongly believe that what our club needs is less talk
                > and more action. Me, Jim S., Bill D., and about a dozen others here do the
                > vast majority of the actual work. That is fine; I understand that's how
                > most groups shake out. I don't mean this ** AT ALL ** to pick on Will (who
                > helped us plenty in the past, for example ahead of VCF last year) ... but I
                > do feel that anyone who suggests ways for MARCH to improve should ask
                > themselves, "How can ** I ** help the club reach the goals that I'm
                > suggesting?"

                Well, like a museum charter, bylaws, collection policy...major details.

                I WROTE those about TEN MONTHS ago, and am STILL waiting for you to
                release them to the list so people can look them over, tweak them,
                then start to use them. They are rough, mostly based off existing
                works, and certainly need to have small, or even large, amounts of
                tuning. They are, to put it plainly, a start. About ten months ago I
                made all sorts of noises on this list about the lack of this critical
                infrastructure, was basically told by some to produce or shut up, so I
                PRODUCED in a few days. You have the files.

                If MARCH is not going to use them in the VERY near future, then please
                destroy the files, and I will retract my offer.

                --
                Will
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 27, 2008
                  >>> If MARCH is not going to use them in the VERY near future, then please
                  destroy the files, and I will retract my offer.

                  Submitting documents adds to my to-do list, it doesn't make that list any
                  smaller or add more hours to the day.

                  All I'm going to do in the "very near" future is work on the VCF and the
                  museum.

                  Specifically, my time right now is spent on getting people to sign up for
                  VCF exhibits, and working on museum exhibits.

                  Anyone who helps with THOSE tasks will in turn FREE UP my time for other
                  tasks such as adding an additional layer of formality to MARCH's existence.

                  But I'd still like to remind everyone that, in my opinion, we should have
                  LESS formality and MORE fun.
                • William Donzelli
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 27, 2008
                    > Submitting documents adds to my to-do list, it doesn't make that list any
                    > smaller or add more hours to the day.

                    You have had around 300 days to do something with these files.

                    Just forget it...I retract the offer and work. Please destroy the
                    files. I no longer want MARCH to use them. Someone else can write them
                    up. Or not.

                    --
                    Will