Grabbe collection

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 27, 2008
      >>> Is this even in MARCH's perview anyway?

      Yes, of course. How could that have be unclear to you?

      MARCH is most definitely the caretaker of the Grabbe collection. The only significant aspect where Fred and I disagree is that Fred always refers to the Grabbe items as a "computer packaging collection". I know what he means by "packaging" beecause we're all in or around the industry, but I really HATE using that term in anything for the public, because "packaging" to normal people means the box and the styrofoam.

      So I figure that (to start) we'll exhibit some representative Grabbe items in the local history display. I recently bought a book about the history of Amp (where Grabbe worked) and shared that book with Fred. Amp formed in NJ and later moved to PA, so it's directly relevant.

      After we finish the first wave of exhibits, then we can access / expand as necessary. Eventually when we have more space we can make a full exhibit devoted to Grabbe, his career / research, and his collecting / gift to InfoAge.
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 27, 2008
        At 10:22 PM 7/27/2008 -0400, you wrote:

        >Yes, of course. How could that have be unclear to you?

        The items are under general InfoAge control, with MARCH as caretaker. We
        have less control over these items that the 100% MARCH-only items. I was
        not sure if there was an InfoAge-level exhibit planned.

        >MARCH is most definitely the caretaker of the Grabbe collection. The only
        >significant aspect where Fred and I disagree is that Fred always refers to
        >the Grabbe items as a "computer packaging collection". I know what he
        >means by "packaging" beecause we're all in or around the industry, but I
        >really HATE using that term in anything for the public, because
        >"packaging" to normal people means the box and the styrofoam.
        >
        >So I figure that (to start) we'll exhibit some representative Grabbe items
        >in the local history display. I recently bought a book about the history
        >of Amp (where Grabbe worked) and shared that book with Fred. Amp formed
        >in NJ and later moved to PA, so it's directly relevant.

        Glad to hear we're doing something with this stuff.

        bd
      • William Donzelli
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 27, 2008
          > Yes, of course. How could that have be unclear to you?

          Well, lack of a museum charter, bylaws, collection policy...minor details...

          --
          Will
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 27, 2008
            >>> The items are under general InfoAge control, with MARCH as caretaker.

            Correct. InfoAge literally owns the Grabbe collection. It was donated to
            InfoAge before MARCH existed.

            When Fred first invited MARCH to join InfoAge, the basic deal was that
            InfoAge would "give" MARCH the Grabbe collection, i.e., we'd become its
            curator but InfoAge perpetually owns it. In exchange for maintaining and
            exhibiting this collection, we get space and the right to bring in our own
            artifacts.

            For the computers side of his collection, it makes sense that we should
            initially pick out some that are labeled as AMP gear. For the chips side,
            we should exhibit AMP and some of the more historic names from that
            collection (ILLIAC, Burroughs, UNIVAC, Fairchild, etc. .... the list goes on
            and on).

            In the future (next year) we can consider expanding those into a full-blown
            chips collection.
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 27, 2008

              >> Well, lack of a museum charter, bylaws, collection policy...minor
              details...

              Bill D. has been involved since the very beginning. He doesn't need bylaws
              to know these things.
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 27, 2008
                details...

                I know I said this about a year ago ... and probably the year before that,
                too ... but I still strongly believe that what our club needs is less talk
                and more action. Me, Jim S., Bill D., and about a dozen others here do the
                vast majority of the actual work. That is fine; I understand that's how
                most groups shake out. I don't mean this ** AT ALL ** to pick on Will (who
                helped us plenty in the past, for example ahead of VCF last year) ... but I
                do feel that anyone who suggests ways for MARCH to improve should ask
                themselves, "How can ** I ** help the club reach the goals that I'm
                suggesting?"

                Some people HAVE offered to help and have been told by me, "thank you, but
                please hold off" -- for everything from library organization to marketing to
                specific exhibits and more. It's my job (I suppose) to keep our ship
                sailing in a good direction without too many distractions. So far I think
                we're doing very well -- we developed a successful online community for
                local collectors that didn't have anyplace else to turn; we ran a good demo
                exhibit for the past couple of years, we put on two superb VCFs, we built an
                impressive and large collection, we moved MARCH into the focus of the local
                tech scene; we became good InfoAge citizens, and financially we are in the
                black. So if I may for just one moment: "Toot." (That was the sound of my
                own horn.)

                Now we are VERY close to opening the first wave of our significantly
                expanded museum space. The ** BEST ** way for everyone to help is to show
                up for some of the next few Sundays, ready to get dirty and sweaty.
              • Sridhar Ayengar
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 27, 2008
                  Evan Koblentz wrote:

                  >>> Well, lack of a museum charter, bylaws, collection policy...minor
                  > details...
                  >
                  > Bill D. has been involved since the very beginning. He doesn't need bylaws
                  > to know these things.

                  That doesn't mean they shouldn't exist.

                  Peace... Sridhar
                • William Donzelli
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 27, 2008
                    > I know I said this about a year ago ... and probably the year before that,
                    > too ... but I still strongly believe that what our club needs is less talk
                    > and more action. Me, Jim S., Bill D., and about a dozen others here do the
                    > vast majority of the actual work. That is fine; I understand that's how
                    > most groups shake out. I don't mean this ** AT ALL ** to pick on Will (who
                    > helped us plenty in the past, for example ahead of VCF last year) ... but I
                    > do feel that anyone who suggests ways for MARCH to improve should ask
                    > themselves, "How can ** I ** help the club reach the goals that I'm
                    > suggesting?"

                    Well, like a museum charter, bylaws, collection policy...major details.

                    I WROTE those about TEN MONTHS ago, and am STILL waiting for you to
                    release them to the list so people can look them over, tweak them,
                    then start to use them. They are rough, mostly based off existing
                    works, and certainly need to have small, or even large, amounts of
                    tuning. They are, to put it plainly, a start. About ten months ago I
                    made all sorts of noises on this list about the lack of this critical
                    infrastructure, was basically told by some to produce or shut up, so I
                    PRODUCED in a few days. You have the files.

                    If MARCH is not going to use them in the VERY near future, then please
                    destroy the files, and I will retract my offer.

                    --
                    Will
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 27, 2008
                      >>> If MARCH is not going to use them in the VERY near future, then please
                      destroy the files, and I will retract my offer.

                      Submitting documents adds to my to-do list, it doesn't make that list any
                      smaller or add more hours to the day.

                      All I'm going to do in the "very near" future is work on the VCF and the
                      museum.

                      Specifically, my time right now is spent on getting people to sign up for
                      VCF exhibits, and working on museum exhibits.

                      Anyone who helps with THOSE tasks will in turn FREE UP my time for other
                      tasks such as adding an additional layer of formality to MARCH's existence.

                      But I'd still like to remind everyone that, in my opinion, we should have
                      LESS formality and MORE fun.
                    • William Donzelli
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 27, 2008
                        > Submitting documents adds to my to-do list, it doesn't make that list any
                        > smaller or add more hours to the day.

                        You have had around 300 days to do something with these files.

                        Just forget it...I retract the offer and work. Please destroy the
                        files. I no longer want MARCH to use them. Someone else can write them
                        up. Or not.

                        --
                        Will