Speaking of bad puns... InfoAge Halloween plan

    Message 1 of 28 , Jul 24 9:10 PM
      Message
      Last night's weekly InfoAge meeting was devoted to brainstorming for this year's edition of the "Haunted Hotel" event.

      I told everyone that IF our group has the bandwidth post-VCF, then perhaps we can make a display of some kind.  BTW, for those who don't know, the Haunted Hotel is BY FAR the most successful event in the history of InfoAge.  Two years ago when it started, the event ran for two weekends (four nights), attracted a few hundred people, and made a couple grand. Last year, the event ran for three weekends, brought in around 1,500 people, and raised serious money.  All of the member groups (such as MARCH) are urged to help out.

      I figured that if we do anything for this, then it should have MARCH's stamp of personality and humor all over it.  Fred once mentioned how our base was involved in some UFO rumors back in the day, which of course were (seriously) weather balloons.

      So here's my idea, which Fred and everyone else loved: we should build a crashed UFO in the middle of the main InfoAge parking lot.  It'll be the first thing people see when they arrive for the Haunted Hotel.  Then we'll dress up someone (I volunteer) as lost, confused, wandering alien, who could roam around the parking lot and the event entrance scaring the crap out of people .  The big joke: the UFO "crashed" because it ran Windows.  :-)

      Indeed, we can put mocked-up images of a BSOD in the spaceship's windows.  Not everyone will get it, but for those who do, it will be extremely funny.  I'd like to build only half of the UFO, and make it look like the other half is embedded / crashed into the ground.  It will be dark outside so all we need to build is a very general saucer or doughnut shape, etc. .... in addition to the "crashed" pun, we could also go with the joke that the UFO was heading for "Neptune" but its GPS was off by a few miles.  (Neptune happens to be a town very close to the museum, so all of the locals who attend should definitely get that joke.)

      Any other really bad puns we can use for this?  One approach is to surround the crashed UFO with police tape and just put a sign in front explaining in cop-speak what the story is, but full of the worst groaners we can muster.....

    • Joe Giliberti

        Message 3 of 28 , Jul 24 9:30 PM
          Message
          Dunno.  Maybe the size of a small SUV.

          It's just a wacky idea for now.  I won't ponder the design until post-VCF.

          Message 4 of 28 , Jul 25 7:42 AM
            Then we'll
            > dress up someone (I volunteer) as lost, confused, wandering alien,
            who could
            > roam around the parking lot and the event entrance scaring the crap
            out of
            > people .

            Dress someone up? I'd think it would be more a come-as-you are,
            especially if the UFO had a rollbar and a Miata nameplate on it!

            Sorry - couldn't resist, even from Chicago :>)

            Jack
          • Mike Loewen
            Message 5 of 28 , Jul 25 9:01 AM
            • Bryan Pope
              Message 6 of 28 , Jul 25 9:03 AM
                Mike Loewen wrote:
                > http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Evan-saucer.jpg

                WOW! I did not know they used Evan as a model for the alien dude!! I
                guess it is some extra work on the side for him! :)

                Cheers,

                Bryan
              • Joe Giliberti

                  Message 8 of 28 , Jul 25 9:09 AM
                    Joe Giliberti wrote:
                    > He doesn't seem so short in person...
                    I think that is just an optical illusion because of his weird and
                    strange alien technology... Case in point.. that red conveyance he
                    calls a "Miata" :)

                    Cheers,

                    Bryan
                  • Evan
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jul 25 9:29 AM
                      First I conquered this user group ... Next I'll conquer your whole planet!

                      Message 10 of 28 , Jul 25 12:36 PM
                        Can't wait to the Design Spec for that!
                        -jhm

                        wrote:

                        > Dunno. Maybe the size of a small SUV.
                        >
                        > It's just a wacky idea for now. I won't ponder the design until
                        post-VCF.

                        Halloween
> [...]
                        other half
                        > is embedded / crashed into the ground. It will be dark outside so
                        all we
                        > need to build is a very general saucer or doughnut shape, etc. ....
                        in
                        > addition to the "crashed" pun, we could also go with the joke that
                        the UFO
                        > was heading for "Neptune" but its GPS was off by a few miles.
                        (Neptune
                        > happens to be a town very close to the museum, so all of the locals
                        who
                        > attend should definitely get that joke.)
                        >
                        > Any other really bad puns we can use for this? One approach is to
                        surround
                        > the crashed UFO with police tape and just put a sign in front
                        explaining in
                        > cop-speak what the story is, but full of the worst groaners we can

                      • Dan Roganti
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jul 25 6:49 PM

                          Evan Koblentz wrote:
                          Message
                          Any other really bad puns we can use for this?

                          how about,

                          -A "Made in China" sticker somewhere around the edge of the UFO where the people can see it.
                          -Have a fuel cover on the side with a label that says "Leaded Fuel Only"

                          =Dan

                        • Evan
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jul 25 9:51 PM
                            The puns have to be (spmewhat) politically correct. It's never smart to mock foreigners when the venue is central New Jersey. But mocking nerds and having some lighthearted fun with the general public is fine.

                            For example, a sign on the back of the UFO ... "My other spaceship is a TIE fighter".

                            The "leaded" one is good ... hey how about "May contain 10% humans by volume". :)

                            Every car has a manufacturer's label on it .... BMW, Ford, etc. ... naturally our UFO should be a Mercury!

                            Subj: Re: [midatlanticretro] Speaking of bad puns... InfoAge Halloween plan
                            Date: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:49 pm
                            Size: 2K
                            To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com

                            Evan Koblentz wrote: Message
                            Any other really bad puns we can use for this?

                            how about,

                            -A "Made in China" sticker somewhere around the edge of the UFO where the people can see it.
                            -Have a fuel cover on the side with a label that says "Leaded Fuel Only"

                            =Dan
                            [ Pittsburgh 250th --- http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/ ]
                          • Evan
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jul 25 9:53 PM
                              >>> Every car has a manufacturer's label on it .... BMW, Ford, etc. ... naturally our UFO should be a Mercury!

                              Or a Saturn .....
                            • Mike Loewen
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jul 26 4:09 AM
                                On Sat, 26 Jul 2008, Evan wrote:

                                > For example, a sign on the back of the UFO ... "My other spaceship is a
                                > TIE fighter".

                                Don't forget to have a very large book prominently displayed, labeled
                                "To Serve Man". :-)

                                Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                              • Joe Giliberti
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jul 26 7:46 AM
                                  or a Ford Galaxie

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jul 26 8:12 AM
                                    Chevy Astro ......

                                    Subj: Re: [midatlanticretro] Speaking of bad puns... InfoAge Halloween plan
                                    Date: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:47 am
                                    Size: 3K
                                    To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jul 26 8:12 AM
                                      Very good!

                                      Subj: Re: [midatlanticretro] Speaking of bad puns... InfoAge Halloween plan
                                      Date: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:47 am
                                      Size: 3K
                                      To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jul 26 8:14 AM
                                        Heh .... My father just reminded me that in his day, Oldsmobile had the "Rocket" model line.

                                        I'll stop now. :)

                                        Until the next email.

                                        Subj: Re: [midatlanticretro] Speaking of bad puns... InfoAge Halloween plan
                                        Date: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:47 am
                                        Size: 3K
                                        To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com

                                        On Sat, 26 Jul 2008, Evan wrote:

                                        > For example, a sign on the back of the UFO ... "My other spaceship is a
                                        > TIE fighter".

                                        Dont forget to have a very large book prominently displayed, labeled
                                        "To Serve Man". :-)

                                        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                                      • Greg N Shari (GMail)
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jul 27 1:35 AM
                                          or a Plymouth Satellite?

                                          Greg Manuel
                                          http://www.gmconsulting.net
                                          "People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs." - Unknown

                                        • schwepes@moog.netaxs.com
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Jul 27 7:51 AM
                                            Isn't that a little too far to go because the Earth gets in the
                                            way of your observations of Venus?
                                            bs

                                          • schwepes@moog.netaxs.com
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Jul 27 8:54 AM
                                              Mercury Comet
                                              bs

                                              On Sat, 26 Jul 2008, Evan wrote:

                                              > Or a Saturn .....

                                            • Dan Roganti
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Jul 28 7:27 AM
                                                Ok, I guess so, I was just having fun with it.(mocking the corporations
                                                that is)
                                                seeing how just about every consumer item (including iPhones) are made
                                                there, why not UFO's ? :)

                                                How about another;
                                                the ol' "HOW's MY DRIVING" sticker with some phone# on it, maybe
                                                1-800-ET-PHONE-HOME
                                                I know , too many letters

                                                =Dan

                                                Evan wrote:
                                                > The puns have to be (spmewhat) politically correct. It's never smart to mock foreigners when the venue is central New Jersey. But mocking nerds and having some lighthearted fun with the general public is fine.
                                                >
                                                > For example, a sign on the back of the UFO ... "My other spaceship is a TIE fighter".
                                                >
                                                > The "leaded" one is good ... hey how about "May contain 10% humans by volume". :)
                                                >
                                                > Every car has a manufacturer's label on it .... BMW, Ford, etc. ... naturally our UFO should be a Mercury!

                                              • Brian Cirulnick
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Jul 28 8:02 PM
                                                  Hi all;

                                                  Catching up on messages (too many!) here, but a few thoughts:

                                                  Crashed UFO.... It might save you guys a lot of work if you can find
                                                  some piece from an amusement park or travelling carnival that already
                                                  exists (and may or may not light up).

                                                  The thing is, you need it to be RECOGNIZABLE as what it is -- and
                                                  that means being cartoonishly overdone as a UFO, especially if you're
                                                  going to have only half of it visisble by virtue of the other half
                                                  supposedly being buried in the parking lot.

                                                  Chicken wire and cloth may not cut the mustard, unless the design of
                                                  it is really good. You might have a build a wooden frame and cover it
                                                  with fiberglass cloth/resin and then paint it silver.

                                                  There are many places that cater to the Halloween crowd (it's now the
                                                  second biggest holiday in terms of raw cash flow (next to Xmas)), so
                                                  there might be something inflatable already on the market.

                                                  Anyhow...
                                                  TTYL
                                                  Brian C.
                                                • Stan Brewer

                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Jul 28 10:37 PM
                                                        Message
                                                        Keeping reading your overdue email, we thought of that one.  :)
                                                          On Tue, 29 Jul 2008, Brian Cirulnick wrote:

                                                          > Crashed UFO.... It might save you guys a lot of work if you can find
                                                          > some piece from an amusement park or travelling carnival that already
                                                          > exists (and may or may not light up).

                                                          Take a tip from "The Red Green Show" - find two of the old 8-foot
                                                          satellite dishes, mount them back to back and paint them silver. :-)

                                                          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                                                        • Bryan Pope
                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Jul 29 7:14 AM
                                                            Mike Loewen wrote:
                                                            > On Tue, 29 Jul 2008, Brian Cirulnick wrote:
                                                            >

                                                            >> Crashed UFO.... It might save you guys a lot of work if you can find
                                                            >> some piece from an amusement park or travelling carnival that already
                                                            >> exists (and may or may not light up).
                                                            >>

                                                            > Take a tip from "The Red Green Show" - find two of the old 8-foot
                                                            > satellite dishes, mount them back to back and paint them silver. :-)

                                                            And *please* make sure to use duct tape to hold them together!

                                                            Cheers,

                                                            Bryan

                                                            "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."