Saturday, July 23

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 11, 2005
      Now that we have some people lined up for the Aug. 13 event (though more are
      always welcome), I'd like to also get a few people to come down on Saturday,
      July 23 (or Sunday, July 24) to help analyze InfoAge's existing collection.
      Perhaps we can even get some of their stuff working in time for Aug. 13.

      Looking for two or three people who have a wide variety of big-iron
      knowledge. (I have virtually none.)

      - 750 readers and no spam / Publishes every Monday / Write for us!
    • William Pechter
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 12, 2005
        I'm an old DEC guy... not much experience in other stuff, although I worked on IBM Series/1 stuff for a while.

        Evans Area used to be one of my customers when I was the DEC Rep at Fort Monmouth in '81-86.

        Bill

        Evan <evan947@...> wrote:
        Now that we have some people lined up for the Aug. 13 event (though more are
        always welcome), I'd like to also get a few people to come down on Saturday,
        July 23 (or Sunday, July 24) to help analyze InfoAge's existing collection.
        Perhaps we can even get some of their stuff working in time for Aug. 13.

        Looking for two or three people who have a wide variety of big-iron
        knowledge.  (I have virtually none.)

        - 750 readers and no spam / Publishes every Monday / Write for us!
        - W: http://news.computercollector.com  E: news@...

        http://mail.yahoo.com

      • Evan
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 12, 2005
          Great!  Can you make it on July 23?

          Evan <evan947@...> wrote:
          Now that we have some people lined up for the Aug. 13 event (though more are
          always welcome), I'd like to also get a few people to come down on Saturday,
          July 23 (or Sunday, July 24) to help analyze InfoAge's existing collection.
          Perhaps we can even get some of their stuff working in time for Aug. 13.

          Looking for two or three people who have a wide variety of big-iron
          knowledge.  (I have virtually none.)

          - 750 readers and no spam / Publishes every Monday / Write for us!
          - W: http://news.computercollector.com  E: news@...

          http://mail.yahoo.com

          Vintage computer30th anniversaryComputer security
          Computer trainingSwap meet
        • Chris M
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 12, 2005
            sorry for the divergence. Though unfortunate for the
            surrounding community, won't the closing of Fort
            Monmouth present some unique oppurtunities for the
            vintage collector? Or has this already been discussed?

            --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

            > Great! Can you make it on July 23?
            >
            > _____

            =30th+anniversary&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&w5=Swap+meet&c=5
            > &s=105&.sig=QM0hvMZiYa-7CzLVaYw-uQ> computer 30th

            =30th+anniversary&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&w5=Swap+meet&c=5
            > &s=105&.sig=jQj2GkQMOlbp-6FXRaJpTg> anniversary
            > Computer

            2=30th+anniversary&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&w5=Swap+meet&c=
            > 5&s=105&.sig=VKVygTWn4FQhiwaamoNSYw> security
            > Computer

            2=30th+anniversary&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&w5=Swap+meet&c=
            > 5&s=105&.sig=_hsA8xQt79XjZhXDT8M5vw> training Swap

            nniversary&w3=Computer+security&w4=Computer+training&w5=Swap+meet&c=5&s=105&
            > .sig=K3w9vecEjetUoFaqdQe3DA> meet
            >
            > _____
            >
            > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
            >

            > * Visit your group "midatlanticretro
            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro> "
            > on the web.

            > Yahoo! Terms of Service
            > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
            >

            > _____

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Evan
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 12, 2005
              Sorry, but when the military closes a base, they take EVERYTHING with them.  That is what happened at Camp Evans, now InfoAge.  the non-profit group and the township got the base, but the buildings were completely gutted, down to every piece of furniture, even the HVAC systems.  On occasion the military might have an auction, but there's nothing formally connecting those to base closings.

              Of course, you are welcome - and encouraged - to contact Fort Monmouth's public affairs department, on behalf of MARCH, to ask what they have planned.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 12, 2005
                military (government) auctions and whatnot are
                probably great places to find cool stuph. I don't know
                anything about them unfortunately. Anyone ever
                attended such events and found any great stuph?

                === message truncated ===

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • William Pechter
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 24, 2005
                  Don't count on Ft. Monmouth closing. They beat the BRAC commission
                  back in '88, 93 and they could do it again and remain in place.

                  It's been a while since I worked there (about '93 IIRC)
                  The amount of interesting antique computer stuff was quite nice (but
                  most has probably been scrapped).

                  The Myers Center had Plato terminals and a CDC 6600 IIRC...
                  They also had a number of interesting boxes like the BBN Butterfly...

                  A pile of Vax and PDP's including a Straight Posibus PDP8 that was
                  running in the Satcom area as late as '88... Don't know if it's still
                  there but that's a great exhibit if it ever gets available in a base
                  closing.

                  Bill

                  http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs