Free IBM R2R Tape Drive in Whitehouse Station, NJ

  • Joe Giliberti
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 24, 2008
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 26, 2008
        Joe and all,

        For twenty years, this is what people pictured when you said 'computer'. This should be the real high speed drive with vacuum columns on each side, etc. It would be great if a team of MARCHins would rescue this - assuming it's still available.

        Jim

          > For twenty years, this is what people pictured when you said 'computer'.
          > This should be the real high speed drive with vacuum columns on each side,
          > etc. It would be great if a team of MARCHins would rescue this - assuming
          > it's still available.

          It is claimed already.

          I do not think the 3422 is vacuum column. It was a fairly low-end drive.

          --
          Will
        • John Allain
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 26, 2008
            > Can anyone save this?

            If I understand correctly, it would not interfact to anything that we have.
            Perhaps it would work with a clubmember's setup.

            Mike.L, Sridhar.A, Will.D, Ian.P(?)... care to add commentary?

            John A.
            The biggest IBM thing I have is a jumbo RS6000

            re:
            IBM 3422 A01 Reel to Reel Tape Drive (Whitehouse station NJ)
            sale-767924200@...
            2008-07-24
            "...maybe it could be used for replacement parts or scrap metal."
            (UGH - not good to hear)
          • John Allain
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 26, 2008
              > Mike.L, Sridhar.A, Will.D, Ian.P(?)... care to add commentary?
              ---
              > It is claimed already.
              > I do not think the 3422 is vacuum column. It was a fairly low-end drive.

              That was fast. Sounds like it was someone else who was faster?

              jea
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 26, 2008
                Oh well...

                > For twenty years, this is what people pictured when you said 'computer'.
                > This should be the real high speed drive with vacuum columns on each side,
                > etc. It would be great if a team of MARCHins would rescue this - assuming
                > it's still available.

                It is claimed already.

                I do not think the 3422 is vacuum column. It was a fairly low-end drive.

                --
                Will

              • Stan Brewer
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 28, 2008
                  Looks like a DEC TU-81 turned up on end.
                  My B-205 Tape Drives look more like what I use to think of when they said Computer 40 years ago.

                                                        Stan