Upcoming work days...

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 23, 2008
      Starting this Sunday, we'll close our "preview" museum. I (and whoever wants to help) will be at InfoAge most of the Sundays from now until VCF time, to work on our real exhibit space. We will use the K.I.S.S. method as much as possible. Keep in mind that the exhibits need not be "finished" or perfected -- just halfway decent. For example, I wasn't serious about displaying the "top 32" microcomputers. :) Our original list of 7 or 8 (or whatever it was) will suffice. We can always refine the exhibits later.

      More details to come later today.
    • Herb Johnson
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 26, 2008
        "Evan" <evan@...> wrote:

        > Starting this Sunday, we'll close our "preview" museum. I
        >(and whoever wants to help) will be at InfoAge most
        >of the Sundays from now until VCF time, to work on
        >our real exhibit space.

        Two things I'd like "workers" to look for, if you please...

        1) I'd appreciate it, if MARCH members working at InfoAge would keep
        an eye out for boxes of loose DEC PDP-11 cards. I'd like to exhibit
        one or two of them. I recall seeing a box or two of them last year,
        but could not find them this year. I don't want to pull cards from
        MARCH DEC systems. **Don't mess with the 11/20-Greenough collection of
        boxes.**

        Those who know: I'm looking for some Unibus cards of the 1970's or
        earlier, not later stuff. They may even be useful for "spares",
        someday. (There's a huge DEC backplane of cards in the basement -
        ignore that, for my purposes.)

        For those who don't know, here's a somewhat random Web link:

        http://www.geocities.com/saipan59/dec/rx11_emu.html

        ..to someone's PDP 11/05 system with images of Unibus cards.

        If you find them, let Evan know where the box or boards are, he can
        keep track of them, I'll consult him.

        Plan "B" is that I'll have a displayable card loaned to MARCH.

        -------------------------

        2) In the box of PDP-8 items from Claude Kagan, there may be some
        parts from Claude's Intel board, which he showed at TCF with MARCH.
        They will be little plastic sticks, several inches long. It's too hard
        to describe them further, but the bottom line is this. Don't discard
        any loose parts or junk found with the PDP-8 items. In due course,
        I'll look at the '8 stuff with Evan and see if those parts are there.

        Herb Johnson
        pieces of 8, arrr..
        retrotechnology.com
      • Joe Giliberti
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 26, 2008
          What time you want to get started tomorrow?

          Joe

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 26, 2008
            Around 11. I'll try to be on time (honest!) ... picking up the other two ADM3-A terminals and the correct cable first.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 26, 2008
              Herb,

              >>**Don't mess with the 11/20-Greenough collection of boxes.**

              Are these boxes marked in some way? How would one know?

              Jim

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 26, 2008
                They're all clearly marked in one place, next to the 11/20 itself.

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 27, 2008

                  "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> wrote:

                  > They're all clearly marked in one place, next to the 11/20 itself.

                  I don't mean to be mean about this. But the Greenough donation is a
                  very complete (and valuable) collection of manuals, paper tapes, and a
                  system. It would be easy to lose items or boxes if repacked or
                  restacked with other DEC equipment. And there are only several small
                  ones, all kept on or under one table which is necessary to hold up the
                  60-pound PDP 11/20. "Don't mess" is a simpler way to say "they'll be
                  fine as they are".

                  The PDP-11 Web page has an inventory of boxes and contents, including
                  photos. Look there to get a better idea of what I'm talking about.
                  That is one purpose of that Web page and that inventory.

                  Jim, the only way I could identify them further, is to either make
                  consistent physical lables for each box; or to box them up in generic
                  storage boxes and lable those boxes.

                  I don't like putting boxes in boxes, or hiding stuff in anonomous
                  plain-white storage boxes which look like every other box.

                  So my inclination is to use colored post-it notes labled
                  "Greenough/NBS PDP-11/20". I could also put an inventory sheet in each
                  box with that title. I can do both, when I visit InfoAge next time.
                  Evan could do such labling now if he wishes, he is familiar with the
                  collection.

                  Beyond that, how MARCH manages its collections is not up to me.

                  Herb Johnson
                  retrotechnology.com