VCF East

  • Brian Cirulnick
    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 21, 2008
      Just to confirm. This is Sept 13th and 14th?

      Chris; I think I know why we missed last years (aside from being overly
      busy, and we're dumb!) -- currently, this show also conflicts with a VW
      Show on L.I. that I know I attended last year.

      So currently, it looks like I (we) can go Sunday, but not Saturday, as
      I have already committed to being on L.I. on Sat.

      Guys, what's the schedule for VCF?
      Are Saturday's events any different from Sunday?

      I'm begining to hate the summer - every weekend is a flurry of
      activity. I'm begining to see work as the "vacation", and weekends as
      the busy part of the week.

      TTYL
      Brian C.
    • Dave G4UGM
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 16 1:36 PM

        Folks,

         If I take a trip from the UK to VCF East It looks like the easiest way to get to InfoAge from JFK is drive. It  looks like the route is Brooklyn, Statten, Middletown, about 70 miles. Is this sensible?

         Also where is a nice place to stay. That is “nice” not “cheap” but where do other folks stay..

        Dave.

      • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 16 1:49 PM
          "'Dave G4UGM' dave.g4ugm@... [midatlanticretro]" writes:

          >Folks,
          >

          > If I take a trip from the UK to VCF East It looks like the easiest way to
          >get to InfoAge from JFK is drive. It looks like the route is Brooklyn,
          >Statten, Middletown, about 70 miles. Is this sensible?

          Gack! JFK! You can't get yourself into EWR or PHL? If you do fly to JFK,
          be sure you get yourself plenty of U$ dosh before you leave the airport to
          pay all of the tolls!!!

          > Also where is a nice place to stay. That is "nice" not "cheap" but where do
          >other folks stay..

          Wasn't there a discussion about hotels near InfoAge in one of the "Festivus"
          threads?

          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 16 2:03 PM
            >> If I take a trip from the UK to VCF East It looks like the easiest way to get to InfoAge from JFK is drive. It  looks like the route is Brooklyn, Statten, Middletown, about 70 miles. Is this sensible?

            Yes that's the best way to drive here from JFK, but your trip would be much simpler if you fly to/from Newark (EWR). Then you'd already be in New Jersey and would save a lot of time and money. (JFK is "only" 20ish miles farther, maybe less, but it's on the other side of NYC traffic.)

            >> Also where is a nice place to stay. That is "nice" not "cheap" but where do
            other folks stay.

            http://www.vintage.org/2015/east/lodging.php
          • Dave G4UGM
            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 16 2:05 PM

              I remember the tolls last time I went to New York... I will check my other
              flight options...

              > > Also where is a nice place to stay. That is "nice" not "cheap" but where
              do
              > >other folks stay..
              >
              > Wasn't there a discussion about hotels near InfoAge in one of the
              "Festivus"
              > threads?

              OK will see what I can fish out.

              Dave

              > --
              > VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker
              > VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG
              >
              > I speak to machines with the voice of humanity.
              >

              > ------------------------------------
              > Posted by: "Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-" <system@...>
              > ------------------------------------
              >

              > ------------------------------------
              >
              > Yahoo Groups Links

            • Dave G4UGM
              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 16 2:08 PM

                Looks cheapest to JFK by around $200….

                .. logings look nice…

                Dave

                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 16 2:08 PM
                  "Evan Koblentz evan@... [midatlanticretro]" <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com> writes:

                  >>> If I take a trip from the UK to VCF East It looks like the easiest way to get to InfoAge from JFK is drive. It looks like the route is Brooklyn, Statten, Middletown, about 70 miles. Is this sensible?
                  >
                  >Yes that's the best way to drive here from JFK, but your trip would be much
                  >simpler if you fly to/from Newark (EWR). Then you'd already be in New Jersey
                  >and would save a lot of time and money. (JFK is "only" 20ish miles farther,

                  20 miles? Perhaps, as the crow flies but it's certainly much farther as the
                  horse flies.

                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 16 2:26 PM
                    >> 20 miles?  Perhaps, as the crow flies but it's certainly much farther as the
                    horse flies.

                    My mistake. Google Maps says it's 33 miles to drive between the airports.
                  • Dave G4UGM
                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 16 2:29 PM

                      I didn't think InfoAge was that remote that I needed a Horse.

                      > --
                      > VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker
                      > VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG
                      >
                      > I speak to machines with the voice of humanity.
                      >

                      > ------------------------------------
                      > Posted by: "Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-" <system@...>
                      > ------------------------------------
                      >

                      > ------------------------------------
                      >
                      > Yahoo Groups Links

                    • chrisjpf33
                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 16 2:30 PM
                        I stayed at the Residence Inn Marriott in Neptune, NJ, it was very nice and not too far away.

                        Chris

> [...]

                      • Dave G4UGM
                        Message 11 of 24 , Feb 16 2:44 PM

                          Thanks Chris, That sounds OK. Once last question, what time do things wrap up on Sunday?

                          Dave

                          Message 12 of 24 , Feb 16 2:56 PM
                            >> last question, what time do things wrap up on Sunday?

                            It slows down Sunday in the late afternoon. Officially closes at 5:30. A few of us stay quite late to clean up and then go eat.
                          • J. Alexander Jacocks
                            Message 13 of 24 , Feb 16 3:46 PM
                              On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 5:56 PM, Evan Koblentz evan@... [midatlanticretro] <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                              >> last question, what time do things wrap up on Sunday?

                              It slows down Sunday in the late afternoon. Officially closes at 5:30. A few of us stay quite late to clean up and then go eat.

                              Out of curiosity, where are you flying from?

                              - Alex
                            • Dave G4UGM
                              Message 14 of 24 , Feb 16 4:15 PM

                                Manchester UK.

                                >> last question, what time do things wrap up on Sunday?

                                It slows down Sunday in the late afternoon. Officially closes at 5:30. A few of us stay quite late to clean up and then go eat.

                                Out of curiosity, where are you flying from?

                                - Alex

                              • Bob Flanders
                                Message 15 of 24 , Feb 16 4:16 PM

                                  LOL!

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Feb 16 4:17 PM

                                    Ditto holiday inn express on 66.

                                    On Feb 16, 2015 5:31 PM, "chrisjpf33@... [midatlanticretro]" <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                    I stayed at the Residence Inn Marriott in Neptune, NJ, it was very nice and not too far away.

                                    Chris

                                  • Systems Glitch
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Feb 16 4:25 PM
                                      We've had good experience with the Red Roof Inn in Tinton Falls. Not too far, cheap, pet friendly.

                                      Thanks,
                                      Jonathan
                                    • Kelly Leavitt
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Feb 16 4:39 PM

                                        I’m with Bob on this. Holiday Inn Express, clean and inexpensive.

                                        I stayed at the Residence Inn Marriott in Neptune, NJ, it was very nice and not too far away.

                                        Chris

                                      • Alexander Pierson
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Feb 16 4:46 PM
                                          I'm going to agree, the Holiday Inn Express was very enjoyable to stay in last year.

                                          -Alexander "Z" Pierson

                                          _._,___

                                        • Matt Patoray
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Feb 16 7:28 PM
                                            I also stayed at the Red Roof Inn Tinton Falls, for Festivus and it was quite acceptable.

                                            Not a Hampton or a Double Tree but it was clean and comfortable.

                                            Matt

                                            Sent from my iPhone

                                            On Feb 16, 2015, at 7:25 PM, Systems Glitch systems.glitch@... [midatlanticretro] <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                            We've had good experience with the Red Roof Inn in Tinton Falls. Not too far, cheap, pet friendly.

                                            Thanks,
                                            Jonathan

                                          • Christian Liendo
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Feb 17 6:11 AM
                                              OK. New Yorker here...

                                              You may want to pass on going to JFK and check out EWR1 (Newark).

                                              I know JFK a major hub and it will probably be cheaper in the flight, but check how much car rental is.

                                              As a person who doesn't own a car but rents them, NJ was always cheaper.

                                              Also JFK is far and expensive to drive to and from.

                                              You will have at least $25 in extra tolls not to mention the extra time to/from JFK.

                                              The area near JFK gets packed with traffic on a Sunday, add 45 to 60 mins for traffic.

                                              EWR1 is right off the NJ Turnpike and will be easier to get to/from.

                                              It may be cheaper to leave back on a Mon vs. a Sunday.

                                              ________________________________
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Feb 17 10:44 AM
                                                Or just land in Philadelphia and make your life easier.   No tolls if you know your roads (take 295 not turnpike).  Takes 1.5 hours to drive to VCFE from Phila airport.  Car rentals are cheaper, etc.
                                              • Dave G4UGM
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Feb 17 3:30 PM

                                                  Ok Guys,

                                                  Thanks for the advice, I get into Newark 12.20 Friday, Depart 19.20 Sunday. I have a car but not an Hotel, yet… Looking forward to seeing you all.

                                                  Dave

                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Feb 20 9:39 AM
                                                    On 02/17/2015 06:30 PM, 'Dave G4UGM' dave.g4ugm@...
                                                    [midatlanticretro] wrote:
                                                    > Thanks for the advice, I get into Newark 12.20 Friday, Depart 19.20
                                                    > Sunday. I have a car but not an Hotel, yet… Looking forward to seeing
                                                    > you all.

                                                    Hey, you're coming?! Awesome! (sorry, I was on the road and am
                                                    behind on email) It'll be great to finally meet you in person.

                                                    Dave McGuire, AK4HZ/3