Awesome day at HOPE

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 19, 2008
      Me, Bill, Sridhar, Joe, and Steve G. manned the MARCH booth from 10am until just now .... GREAT traffic all day long and most were serious alpha geeks. Lots of interest in our club and VCF. More details later, we're going to eat now.
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 19, 2008
        So it was a looooong day. Left my house at 8:30am and got home around
        10:30pm. But it was definitely worthwhile! The people attending HOPE blow
        away the people at Trenton, in terms of pure geekery and being MARCH's kind
        of people. Sridhar and Joe got there first this morning and carved out a
        booth area for us, that being three sides of a square. Sridhar set up his
        Apple IIe one side, I had the Mac 128K in the middle, and Bill/Joe took the
        opposite side with Bill's Osborne and Joe's MAME system. We scattered MARCH
        posters, museum flyers, and VCF flyers throughout our tables. The foot
        traffic got busy soon after we arrived, and it stayed busy even when we
        called it a day around 8-something at night. Nobody who stopped at our
        booth seemed to mind that all we demo'd was rather pedestrian stuff --
        everyone loved it -- I can't even imagine how they would've reacted if we
        brought the REALLY cool stuff! One woman kept coming back to play Oregon
        Trail. We easily could've stayed there and remained busy at our booth for a
        few more hours, but we all had long trips home. So we went to dinner ...
        and ran into people at the hotel bar who were talking at length to each
        other about that cool vintage computers demo. :)

        Personally, in addition to manning our booth, I test-drove a Segway, and
        picked up a HOPE t-shirt, a hacker mousepad, and the new "Best of 2600
        magazine" book (which I'm donating to MARCH).