FW: VAX equipment

  • Kelly Leavitt
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 17, 2008
      Any interest? I don't have 3 phase, nor room for anything this big...

      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 17, 2008
        Kelly Leavitt wrote:
        > Any interest? I don't have 3 phase, nor room for anything this big...

        I offered to take it off his hands, but there's no way I'm paying
        anything for it. It'll cost a significant amount to move it to begin with.

        And you don't need 3-phase. You can run it on a 220V dryer plug.

        Peace... Sridhar
      • Ian King
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 17, 2008
          Hm, I may know someone. Let me check....

          I have a VAX 6000, although I've had an ongoing power supply problem
          with it that's precluded actually running it. Mine is the -600 model,
          with six processors - thus making it a 6660, or the Devil's VAX. :-)
          Many of these were upgrades from an earlier model, as was mine. -- Ian

        • Kelly Leavitt
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 17, 2008
            I couldn't tell if it used 3 phase or not, some docs I saw said it did. Still there is the fact that I don't have the room for it. I was hoping for a smaller VAX to run.

            Kelly
            PS Sorry for top posting, but I have a real brain dead web client...

            > Any interest? I don't have 3 phase, nor room for anything this big...

            I offered to take it off his hands, but there's no way I'm paying
            anything for it. It'll cost a significant amount to move it to begin with.

            And you don't need 3-phase. You can run it on a 220V dryer plug.

            Peace... Sridhar
          • Sridhar Ayengar
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 17, 2008
              Ian King wrote:
              > Hm, I may know someone. Let me check....
              >
              > I have a VAX 6000, although I've had an ongoing power supply problem
              > with it that's precluded actually running it. Mine is the -600 model,
              > with six processors - thus making it a 6660, or the Devil's VAX. :-)
              > Many of these were upgrades from an earlier model, as was mine. -- Ian

              I have a VAX 6610, a 6540, and a DECsystem 5840. I have other VAXen,
              but those are my 6000-class machines. If you're not familiar, the
              DECsystem 5800 is a 6300 with the

              Peace... Sridhar
            • Bill Degnan
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 17, 2008
                sure, big?

                > Any interest? I don't have 3 phase, nor room for anything this big...

              • Bill Degnan
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 17, 2008
                  oops...i should have read the whole thing. I can host it here at my office, if anyone wants to store it here, some restrictions apply. you'd have to clear it with me first.
                  bd

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 17, 2008
                    This would make a great mini-computer exhibit down the road when we move the museum to the larger buildings in the back. It's size is perhaps it's best attribute as opening the cabinet would allow people to see the components and how a middle-size system was constructed. The fact that it is in working or near working condition makes it even better. And it is one of our target East coast computer manufacturers.

                    What do we know about the VAXen we already have? There is a middlin-sized VAX cabinet in one of the store rooms. What model is it? Is it purported to work? I would like to get this VAX6000 for the museum but only if the price comes down to zero and Sridhar gets first dibs at that price. So, after all that, if they guy is willing to donate it, we would need a truck with a ramp to pick it up and take it somewhere other than InfoAge for storage.

                    The DEC reseller is probably interested in the processor card without which the system is worthless. So we need the system complete as is. The note about the terminals >>There are a couple of terminals including a print unit.<< The 'print unit' is probably a DECwriter, something we can use for many, many projects.

                    Short term it might be worth it to get this thing just to get a DECwriter!

                    Jim

                    oops...i should have read the whole thing.  I can host it here at my office, if anyone wants to store it here, some restrictions apply.  you'd have to clear it with me first.
                    bd

                    > Any interest? I don't have 3 phase, nor room for anything this big...

                    it and saved our system in my
                    >     > > garage. We did
                    >     > > not turn around and so I have a VAX with DecServers and a printer
                    >     > > divest. I also included the VMS documents. Primarily I would
                    >     > > be happy to
                    >     > > work with someone to relieve me of the hardware.
                    >     > >
                    >     > > Jim Molloy
                    >     > > 221 Howe Ave.
                    >     > > Passaic NJ 07055
                    >     > > 973 778 1286
                    >     > > ____________________________________________________________
                    >     > > Live the good life! Click now for great retirement planning
                    >     > > assistance!
                    >     > > http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/Ioyw6i3mK7B4GB411C
                    >     > fVV5RqiVzgQCeOBfIAkLtlSpXefy0C9FmPoe/
                    >     >
                    >     > No virus found in this outgoing message.
                    >     > Checked by AVG.
                    >     > 7/16/2008 4:56 PM
                    >     >
                    >     >
                    >     >

                    <*> Your email settings:
                        Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                        (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • Evan
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 17, 2008
                      We have plenty of storage space in the H-buildings (one whole section is designated for InfoAge storage, of which I carved a subsection for MARCH).

                      We also have a DEC writer. :)

                      Jim / Bill / Sridhar / etc. -- if any of you want to rescue this on our behalf, that's fine with me. :)

                      I personally don't have the bandwidth to handle this (truck rental and organizing manpower) until post-VCF.

                      oops...i should have read the whole thing. I can host it here at my office, if anyone wants to store it here, some restrictions apply. you'd have to clear it with me first.
                      bd

                      > Any interest? I don't have 3 phase, nor room for anything this big...

                    • Sridhar Ayengar
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 17, 2008
                        Jim Scheef wrote:
                        > This would make a great mini-computer exhibit down the road when we move
                        > the museum to the larger buildings in the back. It's size is perhaps
                        > it's best attribute as opening the cabinet would allow people to see the
                        > components and how a middle-size system was constructed. The fact that
                        > it is in working or near working condition makes it even better. And it
                        > is one of our target East coast computer manufacturers.
                        >
                        > What do we know about the VAXen we already have? There is a
                        > middlin-sized VAX cabinet in one of the store rooms. What model is it?
                        > Is it purported to work? I would like to get this VAX6000 for the museum
                        > but only if the price comes down to zero and Sridhar gets first dibs at
                        > that price. So, after all that, if they guy is willing to donate it, we
                        > would need a truck with a ramp to pick it up and take it somewhere other
                        > than InfoAge for storage.
                        >
                        > The DEC reseller is probably interested in the processor card without
                        > which the system is worthless. So we need the system complete as is. The
                        > note about the terminals >>There are a couple of terminals including a
                        > print unit.<< The 'print unit' is probably a DECwriter, something we can
                        > use for many, many projects.
                        >
                        > Short term it might be worth it to get this thing just to get a DECwriter!

                        I'd be happy to donate my VAX 8700 to the museum when the time comes.

                        A VAX 6000 is too new for Evan not to get pissed off.

                        Peace... Sridhar
                      • Evan
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 17, 2008
                          >>> I'd be happy to donate my VAX 8700 to the museum when the time comes.

                          Cool. I'll Google that to learn more.

                          >>> A VAX 6000 is too new for Evan not to get pissed off.

                          Pretty much .... anyone know what was DEC's * last * official product release?
                        • Bill Degnan
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 17, 2008
                            late 90's DEC Alpha of some sort

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 17, 2008
                              Ok, so we pass on this one. An easy decision given that no one wants to find a truck.

                              Sridhar, is the 8700 something that we could reasonably expect to power up and run from time to time? A newer VAX (pre-Alpha) would be a nice contrast to the PDP's to show evolution of the species.

                              Jim

                              > Cool.  I'll Google that to learn more.

                              > Pretty much .... anyone know what was DEC's * last * official product release?

                              <*> Your email settings:
                                  Individual Email | Traditional

                              <*> To change settings online go to:
                                  (Yahoo! ID required)

                              <*> To change settings via email:

                                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                            • john_apw
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 17, 2008
                                If the address is as given (in Passaic), I could help with the move,
                                as I'm only about 20 minutes away...

                                I do NOT have access to a large enough vehicle, nor temporary storage
                                space.

                                IF THIS IS GOING TO HAPPEN and you want my help, you must let me know
                                ASAP in order to set up a workable date...

                                Whoever is organizing this rescue, email me off-list...

                                -John M.

                                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Kelly Leavitt" <kelly@...>

                                Date:

                                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 17, 2008
                                  I think one of the InfoAge general volunteers has a truck w/ liftgate.

                                  Date:
                                  > > 7/16/2008 4:56 PM

                                • Sridhar Ayengar
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jul 18, 2008
                                    Jim Scheef wrote:
                                    > Ok, so we pass on this one. An easy decision given that no one wants to
                                    > find a truck.
                                    >
                                    > Sridhar, is the 8700 something that we could reasonably expect to power
                                    > up and run from time to time? A newer VAX (pre-Alpha) would be a nice
                                    > contrast to the PDP's to show evolution of the species.

                                    I don't know. It depends on what kind of power will be available in the
                                    larger exhibit space. The larger exhibit space would definitely be
                                    required, as the machine is in the equivalent of four DEC wide racks.

                                    Peace... Sridhar
                                  • Sridhar Ayengar
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jul 18, 2008
                                      Evan Koblentz wrote:
                                      > I think one of the InfoAge general volunteers has a truck w/ liftgate.

                                      A liftgate is absolutely necessary. This machine is large enough that
                                      its casters *barely* fit between the rails on a ramp, and it's *very*
                                      unstable when you're moving it. I'll never move a 6000 with a ramp again.

                                      Peace... Sridhar
                                    • John Allain
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jul 18, 2008
                                        > Jim / Bill / Sridhar / etc. -- if any of you want to rescue this on our
                                        > behalf, that's fine with me. :)

                                        I actually moved two of these in my spare time for other clubs/friends prior
                                        to MARCH. Was able to do it with 1 other person* and $125 for the truck.
                                        Will make myself available for the move, up to 4H of labor plus gas/pizza
                                        money. They are probably quite rare at this point.

                                        John A.

                                        * there exist loading ramps equal in height to trucks.
                                        Thats what made my moves so easy, although one
                                        lowering off the truck _was_ at a 4' height with
                                        appropriately large straps and 2 helpers.
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jul 18, 2008
                                          Everyone,

                                          Someone must contact the owner and see if he will meet our "price" before we do anything more. At this point there is still nothing to rescue. The museum donation angle often helps...

                                          Jim

                                          > Jim / Bill / Sridhar / etc. -- if any of you want to rescue this on our
                                          > behalf, that's fine with me. :)

                                          I actually moved two of these in my spare time for other clubs/friends prior
                                          to MARCH.  Was able to do it with 1 other person* and $125 for the truck.
                                          Will make myself available for the move, up to 4H of labor plus gas/pizza
                                          money.  They are probably quite rare at this point.

                                          John A.

                                          * there exist loading ramps equal in height to trucks.
                                          Thats what made my moves so easy, although one
                                          lowering off the truck _was_ at a 4' height with
                                          appropriately large straps and 2 helpers.

                                          <*> Your email settings:
                                              Individual Email | Traditional

                                          <*> To change settings online go to:
                                              (Yahoo! ID required)

                                          <*> To change settings via email:

                                              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                        • Stan Brewer
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jul 28, 2008
                                            I'm just getting caught up with my MARCH reading and got to this message.
                                            I have a VAX 4300 with a loaded SCSI mini tower for sell on ebay, item number
                                            110274327934 .

                                                                                                     Stan