Re: [midatlanticretro] WFW 3.11 OEM licensing to end Nov '08..

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 10, 2008
      Bob is correct. I recently wrote an article about very similar issues on
      the wireless side of the embedded chips space. Some parts (okay, most) of
      the article are OT: here but other parts quote industry execs saying
      exactly what Bob said.

      http://www.wirelessweek.com/Article-M2M-Hurdles.aspx

      >>> For those who don't work with embedded systems, end-users often DEMAND
      that no changes are made to the product for years. Changing any part
      of it requires many months of testing in the customer's labs, then
      their customers have to run tests, and then it finally gets deployed.
      That's sometimes a 2-year cycle for my industry. Another interesting
      point is that most chip makers have two groups: one that makes/sells
      the latest chips, and another that sells the latest chips that they
      plan on supporting and supplying for at least 5 years. Before they
      include a chip in a design, most embedded shops require a statement
      about the expected end-of-life date for each device.
    • Herb Johnson
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 10, 2008
        > Whoever wrote the article has never worked in the embedded world.

        The follow-up comments on the "article" (actually a blog entry) are
        rather informative, and I recommend them.

        Herb Johnson
        BSEE '76
        retrotechnology.com
        --

        Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
        "Herb's Stuff": old Mac, CP/M, 8-inch floppy drives