Re: Decsystem 20/20 (Digital/DEC) bigger than a pdp11

  • Herb Johnson
    Message 1 of 29 , Jul 9, 2008
      William Pechter <bpechter@...> wrote:

      > I didn't think Compuserve ran on a KS...
      > They're a lot smaller and IIRC they used a bit slice AMD
      > processor... kind of like the 11/730 of DEC PDP10's..

      I've been out of town and so did not follow this thread until my
      return. Here's some comments.

      I ran a KA-10 for Ohio State, and later established the site for its
      replacment, a KS-10 (the system in apparent discussion here). I was a
      paid, full time, system manager. Both ran TOPS-10.

      The KS is one pair of rather wide (24-inch) cabinets, and used much
      less power than any other PDP-10 or -20. Compuserve used the KS-10's
      as some kind of network node controller (whatever that was). OTherwise
      they ran the KL's or KI's. Maybe they had a KA somewhere, at some time.

      Anyone interested in what these are, can search the Web for PDP-10's
      and PDP-20's, and get correct and better information.

      There are probably software emulators for these machines. Again,
      search the Web.

      Running a mainframe, and keeping it running, is a serious commitment.
      I get a little tired of saying that. So run around the Web, look for
      people running these today. Size up what they are doing, come to your
      own conclusions. Or, rent a truck, grab a mainframe and fill your
      basement, and blow your circuit breakers as you learn. Or, run an
      emulator and just wrassle with the software. Your call.

      Herb Johnson
      retrotechnology.com