VCF exhibits and "running" computers

  • Bill Degnan
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2008
      Bill S's point that he'd like to avoid powering up his oldest OSI brings up an important issue. At some point requiring that exhibits include running systems is going to push forward the age of what's exhibited. I am not saying that we should do anything or change anything, just making a point. The unexpected impact of the exhibit policy may that the definition of "vintage" will absorb newer systems over time.

      Will there be no judging again next year?

      Bill
    • Evan
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2008
        >>> The unexpected impact of the exhibit policy may that the definition of "vintage" will absorb newer systems over time.

        I'm not worried. The rule is vital because nobody wants to stare at a table full of hardware and be told, "Imagine it doing something." That's why this is the vintage computer FESTIVAL, and why Sellam pitches it as a "celebration" versus just a show. As for "what's vintage," that certainly changes over time, but let's please NOT have that whole debate again .... maybe it can be a VCF speaker panel. :)

        >>> Will there be no judging again next year?

        To be determined. Last year we meant to have judging, we just forgot to do it. :)
      • Bill Degnan
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1, 2008

          > To be determined. Last year we meant to have judging, we just forgot to do it. :)

          The possibility of judging impacts effort by exhibitors.
        • Bryan Pope
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 1, 2008
            Evan wrote:

            > I'm not worried. The rule is vital because nobody wants to stare at a table full of hardware and be told, "Imagine it doing something." That's why this is the vintage computer FESTIVAL, and why Sellam pitches it as a "celebration" versus just a show. As for "what's vintage," that certainly changes over time, but let's please NOT have that whole debate again .... maybe it can be a VCF speaker panel. :)

            > To be determined. Last year we meant to have judging, we just forgot to do it. :)

            This is what happens when you forget to put a coversheet on the TPS
            report. Didn't you get the memo? I will go ahead and have another copy
            sent to you.

            Cheers,

            Bryan