RE: [midatlanticretro] VCF exhibits

  • Bill Sudbrink
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 1, 2008
      Evan wrote:

      > I'd like to see a simple paragraph from everyone who plans
      > to exhibit, describing your plans....

      As Much Ohio Scientific As Will Fit In A MiniCooper.

      The following examples of Ohio Scientific microcomputers will
      be displayed:

      An OSI 300 SBC, probably not operational (I'm too scared to
      apply power).

      An original Challenger, populated with 400 series boards, possibly
      operational (it's a bit flaky right now... needs work).

      An OSI C1P-MF, operational.

      An OSI C2-4P-MF, operational.

      An OSI C4P-MF, operational.

      Additional OSI and third party boards and documentation will also
      be on display. The 1, 2 and 4 will be running "crowd friendly"
      software (i.e. games).
    • David Gesswein
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 1, 2008
        > The time is nearing ... what are MARCHins' semi-solidified VCF East 5.0
        > exhibit plans?

        I thought I saw an email a while ago saying you were wanting smaller
        exhibits to emphasize the museum. I went looking for it but didn't find
        it so could be my memory going again. Is this desired? I can either go
        with a Golf load of stuff like I did in 2006 or the Suburban load of
        stuff like other years. With $4 gas I won't object to bringing a smaller
        exhibit if it is desired.
      • Dan Roganti
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 1, 2008

          Evan Koblentz wrote:
          Message
          The time is nearing ... what are MARCHins' semi-solidified VCF East 5.0 exhibit plans?
          I'd like to see a simple paragraph from everyone who plans to exhibit, describing your plans.... also if any of the VCF newcomers have questions, doubts, or concerns, then PLEASE speak up now -- not later after you committed to exhibit space.
          I still plan to have an exhibit too. I don't have a specific title yet, but I'm working on it. This will be on the history of floating point hardware for scientific computing. I'll have some material showing the various hardware that was available. Also, some material of the various software applications which were possible. I'll have a demonstration to show what was possible during the 70's with hobby computers by adding floating point hardware. One computer will be running a demo program with the floating point accelerator while another will be running the same demo program without any floating point hardware to give a visual comparison.

          We want to welcome newbie exhibitors, not scare ya off, but it's always frustrating when people drop out close to the event.
          Does this mean we can register yet ?

          We might arrange the exhibits in a more creative way this year.  Instead of the traditional six-foot rectangular tables, perhaps we'll use the very large circular tables that InfoAge already owns.  Exhibit islands scattered around the show floor!
          I'm not sure how to setup on a circular table, where would you place the whiteboards ? I'm so used to orthogonal structures :)

          I was also contemplating on taking the material that I have and turning it into a presentation. I wasn't sure what time allotment there might be at VCF to get prepared for this.

          =Dan

        • schwepes@moog.netaxs.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 2, 2008
            If the computer works, you don't really need placards. You can have the
            viewers bring up the necessary information on the computer.
            bs

            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 2, 2008
              >>> If the computer works, you don't really need placards. You can have the
              viewers bring up the necessary information on the computer.

              That's technically true, and I suppose it would be interesting to see some
              parts of the exhibit documentation done on the exhibit computer(s) per se.
              However it is VERY important for all VCF exhibits to include signage,
              documentation, etc., etc. ... they don't have to be professionaly done
              graphics or anything, although some people choose that route. Anyway, if an
              exhibit only has the artifacts and no signage, then I hope the artifacts are
              very, very good.

              Schwepes, what is your exhibit idea? (A typical booth starts with a
              six-foot table, a cheap tablecloth, and basic electrical power, supplied by
              MARCH for a nominal fee. You bring the rest.)
            • schwepes@moog.netaxs.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 3, 2008
                This is fairly simple and only needs a period machine and not
                necessarily a classic. What it will do is, using open source
                programming and if possible, an 8086 though it might require
                a 286, this machine will access the internet, do word processing
                and some games.
                Instructions will be embedded in the autoexec file since I
                presume that freedos will provide the best OS for such a
                venture.
                I actually have the equipment I need. Getting the bloody
                software to work is the main issue.
                Just an idea. Not using a true classic would also ensure that
                if the machine has reached the end of its mortal coil, it is
                replacable.
                bs

                On Thu, 3 Jul 2008, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                > viewers bring up the necessary information on the computer.
                >
                > That's technically true, and I suppose it would be interesting to see some
                > parts of the exhibit documentation done on the exhibit computer(s) per se.
                > However it is VERY important for all VCF exhibits to include signage,
                > documentation, etc., etc. ... they don't have to be professionaly done
                > graphics or anything, although some people choose that route. Anyway, if an
                > exhibit only has the artifacts and no signage, then I hope the artifacts are
                > very, very good.
                >
                > Schwepes, what is your exhibit idea? (A typical booth starts with a
                > six-foot table, a cheap tablecloth, and basic electrical power, supplied by
                > MARCH for a nominal fee. You bring the rest.)

              • Bill Degnan
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 3, 2008
                  Please take a crack at it, send me the DOS Batch file/BASIC presentation and I will find a place for it. If you need sample code, let me know.

                  Bill

                  > This is fairly simple and only needs a period machine and not
                  > necessarily a classic. What it will do is, using open source
                  > programming and if possible, an 8086 though it might require
                  > a 286, this machine will access the internet, do word processing
                  > and some games.
                  > Instructions will be embedded in the autoexec file since I
                  > presume that freedos will provide the best OS for such a
                  > venture.
                  > I actually have the equipment I need. Getting the bloody
                  > software to work is the main issue.
                  > Just an idea. Not using a true classic would also ensure that
                  > if the machine has reached the end of its mortal coil, it is
                  > replacable.
                  > bs

                  > > viewers bring up the necessary information on the computer.
                  > >
                  > > That's technically true, and I suppose it would be interesting to see some
                  > > parts of the exhibit documentation done on the exhibit computer(s) per se.
                  > > However it is VERY important for all VCF exhibits to include signage,
                  > > documentation, etc., etc. ... they don't have to be professionaly done
                  > > graphics or anything, although some people choose that route. Anyway, if an
                  > > exhibit only has the artifacts and no signage, then I hope the artifacts are
                  > > very, very good.
                  > >
                  > > Schwepes, what is your exhibit idea? (A typical booth starts with a
                  > > six-foot table, a cheap tablecloth, and basic electrical power, supplied by
                  > > MARCH for a nominal fee. You bring the rest.)

                • Herb Johnson
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 9, 2008
                    "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> wrote:

                    > The time is nearing ... what are MARCHins' semi-solidified VCF East 5.0
                    > exhibit plans?

                    Question. What is the schedule for the show? Talks, exhibits? And what
                    is the schedule for the MARCH Museum and its opening?

                    Speaking for myself: The exhibit I'm working on is for the MARCH
                    Museum, the MARCH PDP-11/20. I've posted here on its progress. Soon I
                    will have prototype exhibit posters on the Web page, as recently
                    reviewed by the MARCH Board. It's intended to be a general example of
                    (or a good start at) MARCH Museum exhibits. Also, the exhibit's
                    posters will be similar in form to InfoAge's other exhibits and will
                    be printed at InfoAge.

                    http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/

                    Photos of past VCF-East shows may be a resource to see how others have
                    exhibited.

                    Herb Johnson
                    retrotechnology.com
                  • Evan
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 9, 2008
                      Sellam posted the (template) VCF East page this morning. I will update it later this week. Some important details are still TBD.

                      Subj: [midatlanticretro] Re: VCF exhibits
                      Date: Wed Jul 9, 2008 6:12 pm
                      Size: 1K
                      To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 10, 2008

                        "Evan" <evan@...> wrote:

                        > Sellam posted the (template) VCF East page this morning.
                        >I will update it later this week. Some important details
                        > are still TBD.

                        Evan, it's a little confusing what "template" means, as I asked about
                        two things. One, the VCF East and MARCH Museum schedule; the other, my
                        "template" or prototypes for the MARCH Museum exhibit posters for the
                        PDP-11/20. My apologies, the Museum 11/20 exhibit is NOT a "VCF
                        exhibit" as per your original post. But, the events overlap.

                        Your reply is not about the Museum exhibit posters. I'll post an
                        update on my work, seperately.

                        Herb Johnson
                        retrotechnology.com
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 19, 2011
                          Only eight weeks to VCF. So far there are 13 exhibits registered. I know many of you intend to exhibit. Please register soon!!!

                          This is important for two reasons:
                          - Marketing: we don't want people to see just 13 exhibits and decide the event isn't worth attending; after all, they don't know your intentions
                          2. Planning: this will probably be our biggest show, so I need to plan the floor layout and electrical power A.S.A.P.! The longer you wait to register, the more hassle you're creating for me and many others in MARCH and InfoAge.

                          So ... even if you only know the very basics of your exhibit plan, please register now; don't wait! You only need to put a sentence or two in the "description" field on the vintage.org exhibit registration page. You can always go back and change or update the description later.

                          Thanks everyone for understanding. I expect to receive many emails from the VCF CMS informing me of new registrations. :)
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 23, 2012
                            Hey people! Go register your exhibits!

                            http://www.vintage.org/2012/east/exhibit.php

                            It's okay if you do not have all the details sorted out. Just put in a couple of sentences. I will edit as needed.

                            It is VERY IMPORTANT that people not procrastinate. That way, when the public sees the event web site, they'll also see that there are great exhibits. If they see just a few, then they're likely to scoff and not return -- they don't know what you "plan" to exhibit.

                            The more people sign up early, the better we can plan, the smoother and more awesome VCF will be.