Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Decsystem 20/20 (Digital/DEC) bigger than a pdp11

  • Stan Brewer
    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 28, 2008
      Older than Claude?  : )
      Claude must have been being figurative.

                               Stan

      Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

      Stanley Brewer wrote:
      > I remember Claude saying that he was the only private residence in NJ
      > to have 3 phase power. The RESISTORS could only run the Burroughs
      > B-205 in the winter, even then it got so hot in the barn that they had
      > to open windows!

      I know someone who lives in New Jersey and has three-phase service to
      provide power to a three-phase compressor he uses to run his automotive
      lift as well as a variety of pneumatic tools at the house.

      I don't know if he had it long enough ago to have had it when Claude was
      speaking, though. He is an older fellow.

      Peace... Sridhar

    • Sridhar Ayengar
      Message 2 of 29 , Jun 28, 2008
        Stan Brewer wrote:
        > Older than Claude? : )

        I'm not comepletely sure how old Claude is. He looks like 70s or 80s.
        If so, this guy would roughly be the same age. Classic car old-timer.

        > Claude must have been being figurative.

        Indeed.

        Peace... Sridhar

        > Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
        >>
        >> Stanley Brewer wrote:
        >> > I remember Claude saying that he was the only private residence in NJ
        >> > to have 3 phase power. The RESISTORS could only run the Burroughs
        >> > B-205 in the winter, even then it got so hot in the barn that they had
        >> > to open windows!
        >>
        >> I know someone who lives in New Jersey and has three-phase service to
        >> provide power to a three-phase compressor he uses to run his automotive
        >> lift as well as a variety of pneumatic tools at the house.
        >>
        >> I don't know if he had it long enough ago to have had it when Claude was
        >> speaking, though. He is an older fellow.
        >>
        >> Peace... Sridhar

      • Herb Johnson
        Message 3 of 29 , Jul 9, 2008
          William Pechter <bpechter@...> wrote:

          > I didn't think Compuserve ran on a KS...
          > They're a lot smaller and IIRC they used a bit slice AMD
          > processor... kind of like the 11/730 of DEC PDP10's..

          I've been out of town and so did not follow this thread until my
          return. Here's some comments.

          I ran a KA-10 for Ohio State, and later established the site for its
          replacment, a KS-10 (the system in apparent discussion here). I was a
          paid, full time, system manager. Both ran TOPS-10.

          The KS is one pair of rather wide (24-inch) cabinets, and used much
          less power than any other PDP-10 or -20. Compuserve used the KS-10's
          as some kind of network node controller (whatever that was). OTherwise
          they ran the KL's or KI's. Maybe they had a KA somewhere, at some time.

          Anyone interested in what these are, can search the Web for PDP-10's
          and PDP-20's, and get correct and better information.

          There are probably software emulators for these machines. Again,
          search the Web.

          Running a mainframe, and keeping it running, is a serious commitment.
          I get a little tired of saying that. So run around the Web, look for
          people running these today. Size up what they are doing, come to your
          own conclusions. Or, rent a truck, grab a mainframe and fill your
          basement, and blow your circuit breakers as you learn. Or, run an
          emulator and just wrassle with the software. Your call.

          Herb Johnson
          retrotechnology.com