Re: [midatlanticretro] VCF east countdown = 86 days, time to register ?

  • schwepes@moog.netaxs.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 28, 2008
      On Sun, 22 Jun 2008, William Donzelli wrote:

      > > Opinions are mixed about the effectiveness of SAGE in a wartime
      > > scenario. Some say that the use of jamming, chaff, and active decoys by
      > > Soviet forces would have negated SAGE's automated benefits.
      >
      > Perhaps, but I think it would have taken a very large, well-planned
      > electronic attack to be very effective. The SAGE datalinks to the
      > aircraft were very flexible, and to know them out would have involved
      > jamming the entire 225-400 MHz tactical aircraft band. The datalinks
      > were also so simple that dropping bits every so often could be
      > ignored, simply because the instrumentation they drove would not react
      > fast enough.

      The 'word' used several frequencies of redundency as per the mil specs of
      the period. I did not work with SAGE but I used the same mil specs with.
      as I remember, 32 separate signals to blast through the potential EMS fog.
      bs

      > >> I still remember the tale that SAGE only went off line because the Air
      > >> Force had to buy replacement tubes from the then Russian satelite of
      > >> Yugoslavia.
      > >
      > > I've heard the same stories, but haven't seen any supporting evidence.
      >
      > A quick survey of a bunch of mil spec tubes around here from the late
      > 1970s and early 1980s reveals they are all US made - probably older
      > stock that was warehoused for (then) future military sales.
      >
      > > When a SAGE installation was
      > > decommissioned in later years, the tubes were usually pulled and carefully
      > > packed up for testing and use in the remaining installations.
      >
      > Was this for all tubes, or certain types?
      >
      > Reusing tubes was generally very much not the norm, but I suppose if
      > certain types were not being made anymore, it could have been
      > justified.
      >
      > --
      > Will

    • William Donzelli
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 29, 2008
        > The 'word' used several frequencies of redundency as per the mil specs of
        > the period. I did not work with SAGE but I used the same mil specs with.
        > as I remember, 32 separate signals to blast through the potential EMS fog.

        This does not match my info entirely (AN/ARR-39 tech manual). The SAGE
        data would come in on any one of the standard UHF tactical channels.
        Frequency agility essentially involved just having the pilot switch to
        a different channel using the knob on the control box.

        This scheme was one of the very first military datalinks, and there
        was certainly evolution, so what you may have worked with could have
        been a later scheme.

        --
        Will