Stan Brewer Intro.

  • Stanley Brewer
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 27, 2008
      Hello all,
      I joined because a good acquaintance of mine, Claude Kagan said he
      was talking to MARCH to find a new home for his Burroughs B-205. I
      run the Burroughs B-205 site and Yahoo Group. I am very excited to
      hear that the old Burroughs may be saved! Does MARCH have a building
      large enough to house the 205? I had tried to get the RESISTORS to
      help save the 205, but found none of them interested in doing so. :(
      I hope I can help in some way. I was a DEC system manager for many
      years until my medical retirement (heart disease) last year. I have
      lots of old DEC books and hardware.

      Stan
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 28, 2008
        Stan, thank you for joining our list.

        Our museum campus used to be an Army base. Some of the buildings we own,
        and the rest will "soon" be transferred to us. We do have buildings large
        enough for the B-205 but those are in the to-be-transferred category.

        When the time comes, we will need to do a lot of planning -- how will we
        disassemble, move, and reassemble the B-205? And how will we pay for that?
        I don't know the answers right now.

        We strongly agree that it needs to be saved.

        Email me privately (evank@...) if you want a tour of the
        museum.

        Our current DEC collection includes the RESISTORS PDP-8, several PDP-11s, a
        DEC Writer, many manuals, and assorted terminals and accessories.

        - Evan (MARCH president)

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 28, 2008
          Stanley Brewer wrote:
          > Hello all,
          > I joined because a good acquaintance of mine, Claude Kagan said he
          > was talking to MARCH to find a new home for his Burroughs B-205. I
          > run the Burroughs B-205 site and Yahoo Group. I am very excited to
          > hear that the old Burroughs may be saved! Does MARCH have a building
          > large enough to house the 205? I had tried to get the RESISTORS to
          > help save the 205, but found none of them interested in doing so. :(
          > I hope I can help in some way. I was a DEC system manager for many
          > years until my medical retirement (heart disease) last year. I have
          > lots of old DEC books and hardware.

          I do not believe we have a working tube-based computer in our
          collection... Is there a working (or even semi-working) tube-based
          computer in the US?

          Cheers,

          Bryan
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 28, 2008
            Probably somewhere! Best person to ask is Sellam.

            > I joined because a good acquaintance of mine, Claude Kagan said he
            > was talking to MARCH to find a new home for his Burroughs B-205. I
            > run the Burroughs B-205 site and Yahoo Group. I am very excited to
            > hear that the old Burroughs may be saved! Does MARCH have a building
            > large enough to house the 205? I had tried to get the RESISTORS to
            > help save the 205, but found none of them interested in doing so. :(
            > I hope I can help in some way. I was a DEC system manager for many
            > years until my medical retirement (heart disease) last year. I have
            > lots of old DEC books and hardware.

            I do not believe we have a working tube-based computer in our
            collection... Is there a working (or even semi-working) tube-based
            computer in the US?

            Cheers,

            Bryan

          • Stan Brewer
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 28, 2008
              Not that I know of.  If you do try to get one working, I have a module Claude gave me, that I will donate to the effort.  I am also a member of a couple of antique radio clubs, and may have a source for donations of tubes.   I also have operations manuals for the B-205 I obtained from another source, and would be glad to give copies of them.  I also have the original Flex-o-writer from the RESISTORS machine, and a newer model (more likely to run) that I could bring to the project.

                                                Stan