Re: Decsystem 20/20 (Digital/DEC) bigger than a pdp11

  • Stanley Brewer
    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 27, 2008
      I remember Claude saying that he was the only private residence in NJ
      to have 3 phase power. The RESISTORS could only run the Burroughs
      B-205 in the winter, even then it got so hot in the barn that they had
      to open windows!

      Stan

      > I have an IBM Series 1 system with three mammoth hard drives, tape
      drive,
      > disk drive. I plan to (attempt to) power it up this winter to heat
      my house.

      > Bill
      >
      > At 06:31 PM 10/25/2006 -0700, you wrote:
      > >I didn't think Compuserve ran on a KS...
      > >They're a lot smaller and IIRC they used a bit slice AMD
      processor... kind
      > >of like the 11/730 of DEC PDP10's...
      > >I can really appreciate the work that goes into getting a mainframe
      > >running in a residential setting -- but I'm surprised the ES ran
      cooler
      > >than a KL...
      > >That was one of the biggest power sucking beasts DEC had (except
      for my
      > >favorite VAX --- the 8650. The 440 volt feed to that one was amazing.
      > >I don't have the info on what sucked more power -- the KL or the Venus.
      > >The machine I'd love to have had here was the KB11-CM 11/74 single CPU
      > >that we had in DEC Princeton. An 11/70 in the DEC Datasystem 570 blue
      > >would be my next choice and the Red White and Blue11/45 Industrial
      PDP11
      > >would be next. (Just for the cool look factor...)
      > >Bill
      > >Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster@...> wrote:
      > >William Pechter wrote:
      > > > A KL is about 10 foot long by about 5 foot in width (footprint) and
      > > > pulls a ton of power -- and it's hot running ECL. Think about 3 or 4
      > > > 11/70 mini's in the room.
      > > > This is 10K ECL logic IIRC. To run it requires the front end
      11/40 and
      > > > the rest of the ECL logic. Not to mention the RP06 Memorex 667
      (IIRC)
      > > > disk drives with their power load and weight. (Could be lucky
      and have
      > > > RM05's on it -- but usually the system pack was on RP06...)
      > > > Bill
      > >
      > >First of all, a 2020 is a *KS*, so it's smaller. Second of all, I
      > >currently run an IBM S/390 G1 (some Bipolar, some CMOS) in my house,
      > >which is bigger than a KS.
      > >
      > >I used to run an IBM ES/9021 in my parents' house which ran *much*
      > >hotter than a KL-10. I had to pour a concrete pad outside for the heat
      > >exchanger.
      > >
      > >I currently run an S/390 G1 (including CPU + DASD controller + 1 DASD
      > >rack + 3490 tape jukebox), VAX 6660, VAX 7640 and a couple racks
      full of
      > >other gear in my dining room. There's also a VAX 8700 in there, but it
      > >isn't powered on. I had to reinforce the floor to hold the weight.
      > >
      > >There are dozens of other machines in various places in the house.
      > >Including a PDP-11/70 (in the basement), which I've had since I was
      > >about 11 years old.
      > >
      > >I have years of experience running mainframes in a residential setting.
      > >
      > >Peace... Sridhar

    • Sridhar Ayengar
      Message 2 of 29 , Jun 28, 2008
        Stanley Brewer wrote:
        > I remember Claude saying that he was the only private residence in NJ
        > to have 3 phase power. The RESISTORS could only run the Burroughs
        > B-205 in the winter, even then it got so hot in the barn that they had
        > to open windows!

        I know someone who lives in New Jersey and has three-phase service to
        provide power to a three-phase compressor he uses to run his automotive
        lift as well as a variety of pneumatic tools at the house.

        I don't know if he had it long enough ago to have had it when Claude was
        speaking, though. He is an older fellow.

        Peace... Sridhar
      • Stan Brewer
        Message 3 of 29 , Jun 28, 2008
          Older than Claude?  : )
          Claude must have been being figurative.

                                   Stan

          Message 4 of 29 , Jun 28, 2008
            Stan Brewer wrote:
            > Older than Claude? : )

            I'm not comepletely sure how old Claude is. He looks like 70s or 80s.
            If so, this guy would roughly be the same age. Classic car old-timer.

            > Claude must have been being figurative.

            Indeed.

            Peace... Sridhar

            > Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
            >>
            >> Stanley Brewer wrote:
            >> > I remember Claude saying that he was the only private residence in NJ
            >> > to have 3 phase power. The RESISTORS could only run the Burroughs
            >> > B-205 in the winter, even then it got so hot in the barn that they had
            >> > to open windows!
            >>
            >> I know someone who lives in New Jersey and has three-phase service to
            >> provide power to a three-phase compressor he uses to run his automotive
            >> lift as well as a variety of pneumatic tools at the house.
            >>
            >> I don't know if he had it long enough ago to have had it when Claude was
            >> speaking, though. He is an older fellow.
            >>
            >> Peace... Sridhar

          • Herb Johnson
            Message 5 of 29 , Jul 9, 2008
              William Pechter <bpechter@...> wrote:

              > I didn't think Compuserve ran on a KS...
              > They're a lot smaller and IIRC they used a bit slice AMD
              > processor... kind of like the 11/730 of DEC PDP10's..

              I've been out of town and so did not follow this thread until my
              return. Here's some comments.

              I ran a KA-10 for Ohio State, and later established the site for its
              replacment, a KS-10 (the system in apparent discussion here). I was a
              paid, full time, system manager. Both ran TOPS-10.

              The KS is one pair of rather wide (24-inch) cabinets, and used much
              less power than any other PDP-10 or -20. Compuserve used the KS-10's
              as some kind of network node controller (whatever that was). OTherwise
              they ran the KL's or KI's. Maybe they had a KA somewhere, at some time.

              Anyone interested in what these are, can search the Web for PDP-10's
              and PDP-20's, and get correct and better information.

              There are probably software emulators for these machines. Again,
              search the Web.

              Running a mainframe, and keeping it running, is a serious commitment.
              I get a little tired of saying that. So run around the Web, look for
              people running these today. Size up what they are doing, come to your
              own conclusions. Or, rent a truck, grab a mainframe and fill your
              basement, and blow your circuit breakers as you learn. Or, run an
              emulator and just wrassle with the software. Your call.

              Herb Johnson
              retrotechnology.com