Michael Tomczyk selling "Home Computer Wars" on Amazon

  • Christian Liendo
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 27 9:11 AM
      I saw someone selling "new" copies of "Home Computer Wars" on Amazon for lower than I see them on Ebay and figuring I had more money than brains, I would take a chance. So I ordered the book.

      I sent the seller an e-mail asking the seller how did he get these and how is he having them signed. So I get a reply from Michael Tomczyk which I posted below. He also informed me about some other books he is writing.

      I am waiting for my book which should be here soon.

      > Subject: Re: Product details inquiry from Amazon customer christian_liendo@...
      > To: christian_liendo@...
      > Date: Wednesday, June 25, 2008, 10:22 PM
      > Christian hello,
      >
      > Actually, I'm the author and also the seller - this is
      > one of the last few copies I'm making available from my
      > private stock of new copies - I had a few new copies - not
      > reproductions - I will include an autographed inscription
      > which typically includes a short custom "poem" to
      > the buyer similar to the intro sections in italics, and the
      > date.? I have always been surprised at how popular my book
      > has become, and now it's a collector's item -
      > however, there are only a few copies left in my personal
      > stock so you are fortunate to get this.
      >
      > If you like the book when you read it you are welcome to
      > post a comment on Amazon.com.? At some point I may expand
      > the book and republish it but not in the original format,
      > and these comments help persuade a publisher to help
      > reprint the new version when I get time to do it.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Michael

    • Bryan Pope
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 27 9:27 AM
        Christian Liendo wrote:
        > I saw someone selling "new" copies of "Home Computer Wars" on Amazon for lower than I see them on Ebay and figuring I had more money than brains, I would take a chance. So I ordered the book.
        >
        > I sent the seller an e-mail asking the seller how did he get these and how is he having them signed. So I get a reply from Michael Tomczyk which I posted below. He also informed me about some other books he is writing.
        >
        > I am waiting for my book which should be here soon.

        Very Cool!! :-) I bought that book back when it first came out and I
        loved it then.. I *really* hope that Michael writes a new, expanded book!

        Cheers,

        Bryan

        P.S. I had suggested to Evan that Michael should be a speaker at the
        last VCF East, but I guess it did not work out.. :-(

        >> Subject: Re: Product details inquiry from Amazon customer christian_liendo@...
        >> To: christian_liendo@...
        >> Date: Wednesday, June 25, 2008, 10:22 PM
        >> Christian hello,
        >>
        >> Actually, I'm the author and also the seller - this is
        >> one of the last few copies I'm making available from my
        >> private stock of new copies - I had a few new copies - not
        >> reproductions - I will include an autographed inscription
        >> which typically includes a short custom "poem" to
        >> the buyer similar to the intro sections in italics, and the
        >> date.? I have always been surprised at how popular my book
        >> has become, and now it's a collector's item -
        >> however, there are only a few copies left in my personal
        >> stock so you are fortunate to get this.
        >>
        >> If you like the book when you read it you are welcome to
        >> post a comment on Amazon.com.? At some point I may expand
        >> the book and republish it but not in the original format,
        >> and these comments help persuade a publisher to help
        >> reprint the new version when I get time to do it.
        >>
        >> Regards,
        >>
        >> Michael

      • Bill Degnan
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 27 10:08 AM
          Can you send me the link, I would like a copy from Michael if I can get one too.
          Bill

          > I saw someone selling "new" copies of "Home Computer Wars" on Amazon for lower than I see them on Ebay and figuring I had more money than brains, I would take a chance. So I ordered the book.
          >
          > I sent the seller an e-mail asking the seller how did he get these and how is he having them signed. So I get a reply from Michael Tomczyk which I posted below. He also informed me about some other books he is writing.
          >
          > I am waiting for my book which should be here soon.
          >
          > > Subject: Re: Product details inquiry from Amazon customer christian_liendo@...
          > > To: christian_liendo@...
          > > Date: Wednesday, June 25, 2008, 10:22 PM
          > > Christian hello,
          > >
          > > Actually, I'm the author and also the seller - this is
          > > one of the last few copies I'm making available from my
          > > private stock of new copies - I had a few new copies - not
          > > reproductions - I will include an autographed inscription
          > > which typically includes a short custom "poem" to
          > > the buyer similar to the intro sections in italics, and the
          > > date.? I have always been surprised at how popular my book
          > > has become, and now it's a collector's item -
          > > however, there are only a few copies left in my personal
          > > stock so you are fortunate to get this.
          > >
          > > If you like the book when you read it you are welcome to
          > > post a comment on Amazon.com.? At some point I may expand
          > > the book and republish it but not in the original format,
          > > and these comments help persuade a publisher to help
          > > reprint the new version when I get time to do it.
          > >
          > > Regards,
          > >
          > > Michael

        • Bryan Pope
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 27 10:15 AM
            Bill Degnan wrote:
            > Can you send me the link, I would like a copy from Michael if I can get one too.
            > Bill

            Bill,

            I believe this is the link --->
            http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0942386787?ie=UTF8&seller=A1LA0DB60L6PRO&condition=new

            Cheers,

            Bryan

          • Bill Degnan
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 27 10:50 AM
              $60? I did not realize these were so expensive. Why?

              > > Can you send me the link, I would like a copy from Michael if I can get one too.
              > > Bill
              > >

              > Bill,
              >
              > I believe this is the link --->
              > http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0942386787?ie=UTF8&seller=A1LA0DB60L6PRO&condition=new
              >
              > Cheers,
              >
              > Bryan

            • Christian Liendo
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 27 11:20 AM
                http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0942386787/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1214590778&sr=8-1&condition=all

                The seller is Hightechmaster for $60

                Can you send me the link, I would like a copy from Michael if I can get one too.
                Bill

                > I saw someone selling "new" copies of "Home Computer Wars" on Amazon for lower than I see them on Ebay and figuring I had more money than brains, I would take a chance. So I ordered the book.
                >
                > I sent the seller an e-mail asking the seller how did he get these and how is he having them signed. So I get a reply from Michael Tomczyk which I posted below. He also informed me about some other books he is writing.
                >
                > I am waiting for my book which should be here soon.
                >
                > > Subject: Re: Product details inquiry from Amazon customer christian_liendo@ yahoo.com
                > > To: christian_liendo@ yahoo.com
                > > Date: Wednesday, June 25, 2008, 10:22 PM
                > > Christian hello,
                > >
                > > Actually, I'm the author and also the seller - this is
                > > one of the last few copies I'm making available from my
                > > private stock of new copies - I had a few new copies - not
                > > reproductions - I will include an autographed inscription
                > > which typically includes a short custom "poem" to
                > > the buyer similar to the intro sections in italics, and the
                > > date.? I have always been surprised at how popular my book
                > > has become, and now it's a collector's item -
                > > however, there are only a few copies left in my personal
                > > stock so you are fortunate to get this.
                > >
                > > If you like the book when you read it you are welcome to
                > > post a comment on Amazon.com.? At some point I may expand
                > > the book and republish it but not in the original format,
                > > and these comments help persuade a publisher to help
                > > reprint the new version when I get time to do it.
                > >
                > > Regards,
                > >
                > > Michael

              • Christian Liendo
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 27 11:33 AM
                  That book is a collectors item now.. I Iost a $100 bid on one about a month ago.

                  $60? I did not realize these were so expensive. Why?

                  > > Can you send me the link, I would like a copy from Michael if I can get one too.
                  > > Bill
                  > >

                  > Bill,
                  >
                  > I believe this is the link --->
                  > http://www.amazon. com/gp/offer- listing/09423867 87?ie=UTF8& seller=A1LA0DB60 L6PRO&condition= new
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  >
                  > Bryan

                • Dan Roganti
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 27 9:35 PM

                    It's missing several years of Commodore history during the 70's.
                    Such as how they nearly sold the PET 2001 design to Tandy instead.
                    I don't know how it can be much of a collector's book when it doesn't include it's beginning.

                    =Dan

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 3, 2008
                      Well I got my book and it's the real thing.. I was thinking it might be a fake, but no its the real thing and it's brand new..  :)

                      I'm happy!

                      As for why it's a collector book it was one of the few books that was written by a commodore insider around that time and there are not that many copies around anymore.