That's strange

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 27, 2008
      Yesterday I sold one of my vintage portables to someone with very deep pockets. He paid me with PayPal.

      Today I got a phone call from PayPal to verify the oddly large transaction. Fair enough, I appreciate that they are looking out for me.

      But then the woman asked what I sold. I said nicely told her that is private between me and the buyer.

      At that point she became very rude. I remained calm and told her that really isn't PayPal's business.

      Her reply: "Yes, it is. You used our service. If you don't tell me then I can ask the buyer."

      WTF?

      Finally I just said "computer stuff" to appease her. It's not that the deal was so secret, it's the principle ... she actually insisted they DO have the right to know what I'm buying or selling.

      I say it's privacy infringement.
    • Christian Liendo
      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 27, 2008
        Big Brother is watching you!!!!!!!!!

        Message 3 of 26 , Jun 27, 2008
          Evan wrote:
          > Yesterday I sold one of my vintage portables to someone with very deep pockets. He paid me with PayPal.
          >
          > Today I got a phone call from PayPal to verify the oddly large transaction. Fair enough, I appreciate that they are looking out for me.
          >
          > But then the woman asked what I sold. I said nicely told her that is private between me and the buyer.
          >
          > At that point she became very rude. I remained calm and told her that really isn't PayPal's business.
          >
          > Her reply: "Yes, it is. You used our service. If you don't tell me then I can ask the buyer."
          >
          > WTF?
          >
          > Finally I just said "computer stuff" to appease her. It's not that the deal was so secret, it's the principle ... she actually insisted they DO have the right to know what I'm buying or selling.
          >
          > I say it's privacy infringement.

          You should have asked them to show you where in the contract between you
          and them that you have to tell them what was sold.. But then this just
          goes along with the new government bill where eBay, Amazon, Google and
          *credit card companies* to report *all* transactions to the government.
          Soon "privacy" will not even be a word anymore.....

          Cheers,

          Bryan
        • Evan
          Message 4 of 26 , Jun 27, 2008
            >>> You should have asked them to show you where in the contract between you and them that you have to tell them what was sold

            Didn't think of that.

            I think it was more about a security check on their part. I do appreciate that they called after the size of the transaction reported a spike vs. my normal transactions.

            But still ...
          • Bob Applegate
            Message 5 of 26 , Jun 27, 2008
              At least you resisted the urge to just annoy them...

              "It was for crack"
              "I sold my youngest kid"
              "I'm a pimp and this is for services rendered"

              Seriously, if you did do something illegal, did they really expect you to
              tell them? If the transaction was large enough then they are required to
              report it, but I thought the amount was still $10K.

              When you use Paypal there is a set of radio buttons to specify what the
              payment is for and I just assumed it was for marketing purposes to see where
              most revenue comes from.

              Bob

              ___________________________________
              NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net
            • Bill Degnan
              Message 6 of 26 , Jun 27, 2008
                so what what it anyway? I won't tell anyone.
                Bill

                > At least you resisted the urge to just annoy them...
                >
                > "It was for crack"
                > "I sold my youngest kid"
                > "I'm a pimp and this is for services rendered"
                >
                > Seriously, if you did do something illegal, did they really expect you to
                > tell them? If the transaction was large enough then they are required to
                > report it, but I thought the amount was still $10K.
                >
                > When you use Paypal there is a set of radio buttons to specify what the
                > payment is for and I just assumed it was for marketing purposes to see where
                > most revenue comes from.
                >
                > Bob

              • Evan
                Message 7 of 26 , Jun 27, 2008
                  PS - yes I know I also replied in public just now - to make a point. :)

                  Subj: Re: [midatlanticretro] That's strange
                  Date: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:10 pm
                  Size: 1K
                  To: <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>

                  so what what it anyway? I won't tell anyone.
                  Bill

                  > At least you resisted the urge to just annoy them...
                  >
                  > "It was for crack"
                  > "I sold my youngest kid"
                  > "I'm a pimp and this is for services rendered"
                  >
                  > Seriously, if you did do something illegal, did they really expect you to
                  > tell them? If the transaction was large enough then they are required to
                  > report it, but I thought the amount was still $10K.
                  >
                  > When you use Paypal there is a set of radio buttons to specify what the
                  > payment is for and I just assumed it was for marketing purposes to see where
                  > most revenue comes from.
                  >
                  > Bob

                • Evan
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jun 27, 2008
                    >>> so what (was) it anyway? I won't tell anyone.
                    Bill

                    LOL, you ask me that on the public list?
                  • Bill Degnan
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jun 27, 2008
                      no one reads your posts, it'll just be between you and me.....

                      > PS - yes I know I also replied in public just now - to make a point. :)

                    • Evan
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jun 27, 2008
                        Thank you, Oprah

                        Subj: Re: [midatlanticretro] That's strange
                        Date: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:48 pm
                        Size: 2K
                        To: <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>

                        no one reads your posts, it'll just be between you and me.....

                        > PS - yes I know I also replied in public just now - to make a point. :)

                      • Timothy J Fagan
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jun 27, 2008
                          I work on the Anti Money-Laundering/Fraud IT team at my bank, and $10,000 indeed is still the trigger which will get you reported to the fed. That's daily too - not per transaction - so two $6000 tx's will get you reported also!

                          Just a word to the wise in your fraudulent money-laundering activities!  Open-mouthed smile emoticon

                          --Timster--

                          Sent: Friday, June 27, 2008 12:57 PM
                          Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] That's strange

                          ____________ _________ _________ _____
                          NOCC, http://nocc. sourceforge. net

                          Message 12 of 26 , Jun 27, 2008
                            Message
                            My transaction was less than $10K.

                            Message 13 of 26 , Jun 27, 2008
                              Evan Koblentz wrote:
                              > My transaction was less than $10K.

                              About how much less then $10K?

                              Cheers,

                              Bryan

                              Message 14 of 26 , Jun 27, 2008
                                A lot.

                                > I work on the Anti Money-Laundering/Fraud IT team at my bank, and
                                > $10,000 indeed is still the trigger which will get you reported to
                                > the fed. That's daily too - not per transaction - so two $6000
                                > tx's will get you reported also!
                                >
                                > Just a word to the wise in your fraudulent money-laundering
                                > activities! Open-mouthed smile emoticon
                                >
                                > --Timster--
                                >
                                > _

                              • Bryan Pope
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jun 27, 2008
                                  Evan Koblentz wrote:
                                  > A lot.

                                  You seem to be expressing some very vague words. Can you be more
                                  precise in your answer?

                                  Cheers,

                                  Bryan

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jun 27, 2008
                                    Nope. The buyer is someone notable and he asked me to keep the details
                                    confidential.

                                    You seem to be expressing some very vague words. Can you be more
                                    precise in your answer?

                                    Cheers,

                                    Bryan

                                  • Richard A. Cini
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jun 27, 2008
                                      Re: [midatlanticretro] That's strange Just because you make a transaction for $10k doesn’t make it sinister. It’s just a reporting requirement under Regulation 6A (I think; my annual training is coming up in July). More of a red flag is several transactions at dollar levels which appear to be evading the AML reporting requirement (i.e., several $5,000 transactions).

                                      Again, its a reporting requirement and won’t necessarily trigger a Suspicious Activity Report.

                                      On 6/27/08 6:43 PM, "Bryan Pope" <bryan.pope@...> wrote:

                                      Evan Koblentz wrote:
                                      > A lot.

                                      You seem to be expressing some very vague words.  Can you be more
                                      precise in your answer?

                                      Cheers,

                                      Bryan

                                      Rich

                                      --
                                      Rich Cini
                                      Collector of Classic Computers
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jun 27, 2008
                                        That is correct. Our systems track hundreds of thousands of cash
                                        transactions, and the 'suspect' ones are reported to the business unit that
                                        manually investigates them to determine if they truly are suspicious or
                                        not. The 10K and greater ones are automatically reported to the fed
                                        regardless.

                                        Just because you make a transaction for $10k doesn¹t make it sinister. It¹s
                                        just a reporting requirement under Regulation 6A (I think; my annual
                                        training is coming up in July). More of a red flag is several transactions
                                        at dollar levels which appear to be evading the AML reporting requirement
                                        (i.e., several $5,000 transactions).

                                        Again, its a reporting requirement and won¹t necessarily trigger a
                                        Suspicious Activity Report.

                                        On 6/27/08 6:43 PM, "Bryan Pope" <bryan.pope@...> wrote:

                                        > Evan Koblentz wrote:
                                        >> > A lot.
                                        >> >
                                        > You seem to be expressing some very vague words. Can you be more
                                        > precise in your answer?
                                        >
                                        > Cheers,
                                        >
                                        > Bryan

                                        Rich

                                          On 6/27/08 6:43 PM, "Bryan Pope" <bryan.pope@... <mailto:bryan.pope%40comcast.net> > wrote:

                                          > Evan Koblentz wrote:
                                          >> > A lot.
                                          >> >
                                          > You seem to be expressing some very vague words.  Can you be more
                                          > precise in your answer?
                                          >
                                          > Cheers,
                                          >
                                          > Bryan

                                          Rich

                                          --
                                          Rich Cini
                                          Collector of Classic Computers
                                          http://www.altair32.com
                                          http://www.classiccmp.org/cini

                                          Rich

                                          --
                                          Rich Cini
                                          Collector of Classic Computers
                                          http://www.altair32.com
                                          http://www.classiccmp.org/cini
                                        • Joe Giliberti

                                            Just because you make a transaction for $10k doesn't make it sinister. It's
                                            just a reporting requirement under Regulation 6A (I think; my annual
                                            training is coming up in July). More of a red flag is several transactions
                                            at dollar levels which appear to be evading the AML reporting requirement
                                            (i.e., several $5,000 transactions).

                                            Again, its a reporting requirement and won't necessarily trigger a
                                            Suspicious Activity Report.

                                            On 6/27/08 6:43 PM, "Bryan Pope" <bryan.pope@... <mailto:bryan.pope%40comcast.net> > wrote:

                                            > Evan Koblentz wrote:
                                            >> > A lot.
                                            >> >
                                            > You seem to be expressing some very vague words.  Can you be more
                                            > precise in your answer?
                                            >
                                            > Cheers,
                                            >
                                            > Bryan

                                            Rich

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jun 27, 2008
                                              Message
                                              No that's what YOU bought.   :)
                                              Should have told her it was something crazy, like a collection of beastiality DVDs, just to screw with her.
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Jun 29, 2008
                                                Evan,

                                                Your bank would not ask what you bought or sold, but PayPal is not a bank. You agree to that when you open your account. Of course your credit card company knows exactly what you buy.

                                                Jim

                                                Message 23 of 26 , Jun 29, 2008
                                                  I must be walking in on this in the middle.  Is PAYPAL giving someone here a hard time?
                                                  I liked Paypal.  I gave them my credit card number and used their services.  My credit card was their insurance that my payment was good. As with any other vendor accepting my credit card.
                                                  Then, because I had spent the magic $2,000.00 with them, they decided they not only wanted my credit card number (which had a low balance and a credit limit much higher that $2,000.00), but also my checking and savings account numbers!
                                                  Thus ended a good relationship.

                                                                                         Stan

                                                  Jim Scheef wrote:
                                                  Evan,

                                                  Your bank would not ask what you bought or sold, but PayPal is not a bank. You agree to that when you open your account. Of course your credit card company knows exactly what you buy.

                                                  Jim

                                                  Should have told her it was something crazy, like a collection of beastiality DVDs, just to screw with her.
                                                • Ian King

                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Jun 29, 2008
                                                      What happened is that I recently sold a high-dollar item, got paid via PayPal, and then PayPal in the process of a security check (because of my unusual account activity) demanded to know what I sold. I felt this was an invasion of my privacy.

                                                      But I'm over it now. :)

                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Jun 30, 2008
                                                        Hi Gang:

                                                        I guess there's good and bad about just about everything. For my
                                                        part, I simply "funded" my PayPal balance via my checking account.
                                                        That's also helped with redeeming funds from PayPal to the checking
                                                        account. But, I don't usually carry a large balance in PayPal,
                                                        usually just enough to handle small transactions with ham radio
                                                        buddies, and stuff like that.

                                                        When you sell something on ebay, and the buyer pays with PayPal (not
                                                        uncommon).. if they buyer's account is funded with a credit card, then
                                                        -you- the seller get to pay a fee to PayPal to handle the
                                                        transaction. That does not happen if the buyer has funded the PayPal
                                                        account with cash from a checking account.

                                                        73 de Ray