The Jolt

  • Bill Degnan
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 25, 2008

      > Hi Bill:
      >
      > Wikipedia has no entry fro the JOLT. Is that something you could
      > author?

      I don't call myself an authority, but I do teach about this system briefly in my CISC/CPEG class at the U of D. Here is a scan of the first ad:
      http://vintagecomputer.net/CISC367/Byte%20December%201975%20Ad%20Jolt%20Computer.pdf

      A Jolt was passed around at the VCF E 3 in one of the panel discussions.

      bd
    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 25, 2008
        On Wed, 25 Jun 2008, Bill Degnan wrote:

        > A Jolt was passed around at the VCF E 3 in one of the panel discussions.

        Oh, I thought that was a Joint... :-)

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      • Bill Degnan
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 25, 2008
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 25, 2008

            That's cool that the 6502 doesn't require a clock.  (see JOLT ad)  I never knew that about it.

            It must be the only microprocessor that doesn't need one.

            Bob

            > Wikipedia has no entry fro the JOLT. Is that something you could
            > author?

            I don't call myself an authority, but I do teach about this system briefly in my CISC/CPEG class at the U of D. Here is a scan of the first ad:
            http://vintagecompu ter.net/CISC367/ Byte%20December% 201975%20Ad% 20Jolt%20Compute r.pdf

            A Jolt was passed around at the VCF E 3 in one of the panel discussions.

            bd

          • Evan
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 25, 2008
              >>> A Jolt was passed around at the VCF E 3 in one of the panel discussions

              Yes - that was a lecture by Ray Holt, co-founder of Microcomputer Associates, which made the Jolt. Ray's topic that day was also about his design for a microprocessor that preceded Intel's by a year (Sellam is a major advocate of that story).
            • Christian Liendo
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 25, 2008
                Wasn't that a drink in the 80s?
                I used to drink lots of that.

                > Wikipedia has no entry fro the JOLT. Is that something you could
                > author?

                I don't call myself an authority, but I do teach about this system briefly in my CISC/CPEG class at the U of D. Here is a scan of the first ad:
                http://vintagecompu ter.net/CISC367/ Byte%20December% 201975%20Ad% 20Jolt%20Compute r.pdf

                A Jolt was passed around at the VCF E 3 in one of the panel discussions.

                bd

              • Bryan Pope
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 25, 2008
                  Christian Liendo wrote:
                  > Wasn't that a drink in the 80s?
                  > I used to drink lots of that.

                  "All the sugar and twice the caffeine" :) Yes, it came out in the
                  mid-80s.. I believe it is still being made, but the can looks different
                  now... (Plus the sugar has been changed to high-fructose corn syrup).

                  Cheers,

                  Bryan

                • Mason Taube
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 25, 2008
                     My experience with the 6502 differs. It requires a clock input on pin 37 and is fairly particular about it.

                    http://archive.6502.org/datasheets/mos_65ce02_mpu.pdf

                    Some cpus allow handclocking, but even if you have a push button that is technically a clock.

                    That's cool that the 6502 doesn't require a clock.  (see JOLT ad)  I never knew that about it.

                    It must be the only microprocessor that doesn't need one.

                    Bob

                    > Wikipedia has no entry fro the JOLT. Is that something you could
                    > author?

                    I don't call myself an authority, but I do teach about this system briefly in my CISC/CPEG class at the U of D. Here is a scan of the first ad:
                    http://vintagecompu ter.net/CISC367/ Byte%20December% 201975%20Ad% 20Jolt%20Compute r.pdf

                    A Jolt was passed around at the VCF E 3 in one of the panel discussions.

                    bd

                  • Dan Roganti
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 25, 2008

                      Bob Grieb wrote:

                      That's cool that the 6502 doesn't require a clock.  (see JOLT ad)  I never knew that about it.

                      It must be the only microprocessor that doesn't need one.

                      There's always a clock.
                      That was there way to emphasize there's an internal oscillator and no external crystal was needed.
                      However, this wasn't that stable and most designs tended to connect a crystal for accuracy--right , Herb ?! :)
                      Especially in machines such as the Apple where everything from the cassette, floppy and video was done in software.

                      =Dan

                    • Dan Roganti
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 25, 2008

                        Evan wrote:
                        Yes - that was a lecture by Ray Holt, co-founder of Microcomputer Associates, which made the Jolt.  Ray's topic that day was also about his design for a microprocessor chipset that preceded Intel's by a year (Sellam is a major advocate of that story).

                        :)

                        I hate to beat a dead horse...

                        =Dan

                      • Dan Roganti
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 25, 2008

                          Bryan Pope wrote:
                          Christian Liendo wrote:

                          Wasn't that a drink in the 80s?
                          I used to drink lots of that.

                          "All the sugar and twice the caffeine" :)  Yes, it came out in the
                          mid-80s...

                          The food of champions

                          =Dan

                        • William Donzelli
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 25, 2008
                            > That's cool that the 6502 doesn't require a clock. (see JOLT ad) I never
                            > knew that about it.
                            >
                            > It must be the only microprocessor that doesn't need one.

                            Most of today's microprocessor do not use clocks in the traditional
                            sense - they are only reference oscillators for internal phase locked
                            loops. At least one that I know of, the 68332, would continue running
                            if the crystal stopped working - the PLL would free run, and I think
                            the processor would interrupt to let you know that all your timers may
                            start to be off.

                            DEC KA10 processors really have no clock, but it is not a micro.

                            --
                            Will
                          • Bob Grieb
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 25, 2008

                              Guys,

                                 I was actually being sarcastic.  I think what the ad was referring to is the

                              fact that the 8080 needed a companion chip (8224) to generate the special

                              two-phase non-overlapping clock that was required.  The 8085 and Z80

                              (and 6502) just needed a single clock input.  There are some CPU's that

                              are what's called "asynchronous" and don't actually use a clk to pace them,

                              but this is a fairly recent development.  Most other chips use a clk, just like the

                              6502 does.  Some can generate it internally, like the PIC, but they still need it.

                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 25, 2008
                                Here is a related article, it compares the 6502, 6800 and 8080 - including
                                a comparison of how the/a clock is used for each.
                                http://vintagecomputer.net/CISC367/Byte%20November%201975%20Son%20of%20Motorola%206800.pdf

                                bill
                              • schwepes@moog.netaxs.com
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jun 28, 2008
                                  If I remeber correctly the 6502 chip was not originally designed for micro
                                  computers but to govern radar feedback. As such, they reacted to the next
                                  event and then awaited the next event.
                                  bs