Exhibit planning, 70s/80s micros, continued...

    Message 1 of 44 , Jun 23, 2008
      Message
      Okay, so I think people here agree that "8" isn't the ONLY kind of byte.  :)

      Suppose we made a list of the "Top 10" microcomputers.  Eight of them would be (in no particular order):

      M.I.T.S. Altair 8800
      IBM 5150 PC
      Commodore PET 2001
      Osborne 1
      TRS-80 Model 1
      Commodore 64
      Apple II+
      Apple Mac 128K

      What would be the other two?  Let's debate!!

      I vote 'no' to the Apple 1, for example, because I don't think it was historic until after the fact ... however we could certainly include the Replica 1 if we decided that as a group.

      I'm also tempted to remove the Osborne, because it is technically a portable, not a micro.  (Portables will be a seperate exhibit.  But if we do keep the Osborne, then I also nominate the Tandy Model 100 as the first * big success * of the early laptops.  And yes I will personally make a sign saying "Hello visitor, this is NOT the first laptop"...)

    • schwepes@moog.netaxs.com
      Message 44 of 44 , Jun 28, 2008
        You can program a 286 to do most of your modern tasks. I did not say that
        it would do the job quickly. I just said you could do graphics, sound and
        browze the internet with it.
        You will have to play with FreeDos to get the necessary utilities but it
        is doable. You cannot really use Windows or Linux even though I
        understand
        there are versions that are more friendly to such a machine.
        bs