Learn something new every day...

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 22 8:33 PM
      Message
      Speaking of historical facts from Camp Evans .... (Hi Will!)

      Last night, after the InfoAge annal "Wall of Honor" dinner, me / Steve G. / Henry S. (Henry is another InfoAge volunteer) all watched the Ken Burns movie "Empire of the Air" about the early development of the radio industry.

      The movie explains that the legendary meeting (1913 or 1914, I forget which) between Edwin Armstrong and David Sarnoff -- in which Armstrong demo'd his regenerative receiver to Sarnoff, thereby convincing Sarnoff to spend his career advocating radio -- happened at a temporary construction shack near Belmar, N.J. ... you guessed it, that shack was on the shore of the Shark River at the Marconi facility -- today InfoAge.

      I asked Fred for more info today.  The shack is long gone, which is a shame because that would be InfoAge's * MOST * historic building, but apparently we have a picture somewhere.

      Anyway, it made my day because I admittedly did not know about regeneration, and therefore I certainly did not know that a meeting at our facility basically changed the careers of Armstrong and Sarnoff and led to the modern radio industry.

      Fred suggested that I take a walk down the dirt road to the river's edge.  I did, along with Bob from the Quarter Century Wireless Association.  Learned something else down there: two more buildings exist that you can't see from the road!  In three years at InfoAge, I had no idea about this.  One of the buildings is large - 20 x 50 ft. -- the other is smaller.  Both buildings are completely trasked; Fred says the Army abondoned them several decades ago.  The larger building was Marconi's main receiving station.  Technically the Army still owns those buildings but anyone can walk in -- they are both badly vandalized and not all that safe.  Anyway, it was fun to learn today that those buildings even exist.
    • schwepes@moog.netaxs.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 28 9:49 AM
        I have a strange question coming from Philadelphia. Can you recommend a
        good crab and beer joint near Belmar? A restaurant guide to the area
        would go far to encourage day trippers.
        bs

        On Sun, 22 Jun 2008, Evan Koblentz wrote:

        > Speaking of historical facts from Camp Evans .... (Hi Will!)
        >
        > Last night, after the InfoAge annal "Wall of Honor" dinner, me / Steve G. /
        > Henry S. (Henry is another InfoAge volunteer) all watched the Ken Burns
        > movie "Empire of the Air" about the early development of the radio industry.
        >
        > The movie explains that the legendary meeting (1913 or 1914, I forget which)
        > between Edwin Armstrong and David Sarnoff -- in which Armstrong demo'd his
        > regenerative receiver to Sarnoff, thereby convincing Sarnoff to spend his
        > career advocating radio -- happened at a temporary construction shack near
        > Belmar, N.J. ... you guessed it, that shack was on the shore of the Shark
        > River at the Marconi facility -- today InfoAge.
        >
        > I asked Fred for more info today. The shack is long gone, which is a shame
        > because that would be InfoAge's * MOST * historic building, but apparently
        > we have a picture somewhere.
        >
        > Anyway, it made my day because I admittedly did not know about regeneration,
        > and therefore I certainly did not know that a meeting at our facility
        > basically changed the careers of Armstrong and Sarnoff and led to the modern
        > radio industry.
        >
        > Fred suggested that I take a walk down the dirt road to the river's edge. I
        > did, along with Bob from the Quarter Century Wireless Association. Learned
        > something else down there: two more buildings exist that you can't see from
        > the road! In three years at InfoAge, I had no idea about this. One of the
        > buildings is large - 20 x 50 ft. -- the other is smaller. Both buildings
        > are completely trasked; Fred says the Army abondoned them several decades
        > ago. The larger building was Marconi's main receiving station. Technically
        > the Army still owns those buildings but anyone can walk in -- they are both
        > badly vandalized and not all that safe. Anyway, it was fun to learn today
        > that those buildings even exist.

      • Evan
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 28 12:14 PM
          >>> I have a strange question coming from Philadelphia. Can you recommend a good crab and beer joint near Belmar? A restaurant guide to the area would go far to encourage day trippers.

          I will ask Fred and Steve. I live an hour to the north.