history of AMP

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 20, 2008
      Today the book about AMP Inc. came in the mail. It's not a "real" book, because it was commissioned by AMP for their 50th anniversary in 1992 -- so it's basically a large marketing document with no critical content.

      But anyway, it does contain some interesting history:
      * I always thought of AMP as a Harrisburg, Pennsylvania company, but the book states that they got started in Elizabeth, N.J.
      * You know that story about how a young American soldier at Pearl Harbor saw the blips on the radar but was told to ignore it? We already know (for fact) that the radar unit in question was built at Camp Evans. In this book AMP claims it was a guy named Joe Lockhard who became one of their engineers.
      * Someone named Bill Watts in the 1950s/1960s led AMP's system components division which made things like patchcords for computers.
      * Harry Fox and Bill Fritz developed high-end materials for magnetic cores.

      Unfortunately the book contains just one passing reference to Grabbe.
    • William Donzelli
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 22, 2008
        > * You know that story about how a young American soldier at Pearl Harbor saw
        > the blips on the radar but was told to ignore it? We already know (for fact)
        > that the radar unit in question was built at Camp Evans.

        !

        No.

        Camp Evans improved the SCR-270 series, past the -B model. The radar
        at Opana Point , an SCR-270-B, was being deployed before the Army
        opened Camp Evans.

        Please check your references before you state something "for fact".

        --
        Will
      • Evan
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 22, 2008
          I always check my sources for computer history, but for radar history I trust what Fred tells me....

          Subj: Re: [midatlanticretro] history of AMP
          Date: Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:03 pm
          Size: 1K
          To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 22, 2008
            > I always check my sources for computer history, but for radar history I
            > trust what Fred tells me....

            He ought to know better.

            Anyway, a red flag should have come up. Camp Evans opened in late
            1941. The Pearl Harbor attack was late 1941. And SCR-270s did not get
            built overnight.

            --
            Will
          • John Allain
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 23, 2008
              > Unfortunately the book contains just one passing reference to Grabbe.

              Here's perhaps a better one, for those listers who don't know...

              http://www.ieee.org/awards/bios/2007_Bios/2007CPMT-Grabbe.html
              including:
              "An IEEE Life Fellow, Mr. Grabbe has also been recognized by AMP (now part
              of Tyco Electronics) with a Lifetime Achievement Award, and by the American
              Society of Mechnical Engineers, which chose him for its Leonardo da Vinci
              Award."

              John A.

              ( http://www.ieee.org/
              portal/pages/about/awards/bios/2007_Bios/2007CPMT-Grabbe.html )