Kaypro acquisition

  • Mike Loewen
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 19, 2008
      Another Kaypro showed up yesterday, a 4/83 with a complete set of
      manuals, software, 3rd party books and a Star Micronics NX-2430 printer.
      This is one of the cleanest Kaypros I've seen, very well taken care of:

      http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/Kaypro/Kaypro4-83.html

      One of the things about the Kaypros that appeals to me, is the case
      doesn't turn yellow! :-)

      Would you believe, I have 8 of these things now?

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      The B9 Robot Builders Club B9-0014 http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/B9/
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 20, 2008
        Move back to 1984-5 and start a business with 8 employees and a shared
        printer or two. Might be an interesting VCF exhibit.
        Bill

        At 11:33 PM 6/19/2008 -0400, you wrote:

        > Another Kaypro showed up yesterday, a 4/83 with a complete set of
        >manuals, software, 3rd party books and a Star Micronics NX-2430 printer.
        >This is one of the cleanest Kaypros I've seen, very well taken care of:
        >
        >http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/Kaypro/Kaypro4-83.html
        >
        > One of the things about the Kaypros that appeals to me, is the case
        >doesn't turn yellow! :-)
        >
        > Would you believe, I have 8 of these things now?
        >

        >Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        >The B9 Robot Builders Club
        >B9-0014 http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/B9/
        >Old Technology http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/

      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 20, 2008
          On Fri, 20 Jun 2008, B. Degnan wrote:

          > Move back to 1984-5 and start a business with 8 employees and a shared
          > printer or two. Might be an interesting VCF exhibit.

          The problem with Kaypros is they're not very interesting, visually.
          Maybe we should design a Kaypro cluster - they all have at least 1
          parallel and 1 serial port. :-)

          They do stack nicely, though.

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
          The B9 Robot Builders Club B9-0014 http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/B9/
        • Dan Roganti
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 20, 2008

            Mike Loewen wrote:
                Another Kaypro showed up yesterday, a 4/83 with a complete set of
                Would you believe, I have *8* of these things now?

            Holy Kaypromorollo, Batman !

            =Dan
          • jack99rubin
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 20, 2008
              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...>
              wrote:

              > Move back to 1984-5 and start a business with 8 employees and a
              shared
              > printer or two. Might be an interesting VCF exhibit.
              > Bill

              Which is exactly what we did at USRobotics in 1984. We had 6 or 8
              Kaypros for the "executives" and ran manufacturing and accounting
              software from Radio Shack on a Dynapro MPM box - definitely a period
              piece with "wood grain" plastic panels on the case. The rest is
              history ...

              Jack
            • Bob Grieb
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 20, 2008
                Jack,

                   I have always been curious as to how a modem company had
                the name US Robotics.  Care to enlighten me?

                  Bob Grieb