Re: [midatlanticretro] Hello World

    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 19, 2008
      At 12:18 AM 6/19/2008 -0400, you wrote:
      I first heard of MARCH at this years Trenton Computer Festival.

      <snip>
      I liked your displays of working vintage computers. I spoke with Evan Koblentz and David Gesswein about my interest in old computers, especially Ohio Scientific.
      I also mentioned a NTDS slow interface Kleinshmidt printer that I would consider donating to the club if there was any interest.
      I e-mailed Evan with photos of the printer and manual, but got no reply. I then signed up on yahoogroups/midlanticretro and have been lurking ever since.
      I never sent any OSI info to David as I promised because I am so disorganized.

      <snip>

      Bill D. #2

      Nice to hear from you

      I am interested in OSI, I have a Superboard II but I have spent little time with it so far.  I am mainly focused on the 8080 S-100 at the moment, but I am working my way "up" to the 6502 SBC's too, hopefully soon.  Other than that, my experience with the 6502 lies with Apple, Commodore, and the like.

      Bill Sudebrink has the most knowledge in our group (that I know of) of the OSI line, and has demoed his OSI's from time to time at our events.

      Which OSC's do you have?

      Bill D #1 (just call me "Degnan")
    • deestroyer39
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 23, 2013
        Hi everyone, my name is Henry (the local Teen mentioned in Evan's Report for June 22). I just wanted to introduce myself and I am very excited to get started helping with the events and learning about retro computing.
      • Cory Smelosky
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 23, 2013
          On Sun, 24 Jun 2013, deestroyer39 wrote:

          > Hi everyone, my name is Henry (the local Teen mentioned in Evan's Report for June 22). I just wanted to introduce myself and I am very excited to get started helping with the events and learning about retro computing.

          Welcome aboard!

          Any place in particular you want to get started? Any company's gear
          you're fond of? ;)

          --
          Cory Smelosky
          http://gewt.net Personal stuff
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 23, 2013
            On 06/23/2013 10:06 PM, deestroyer39 wrote:
            > Hi everyone, my name is Henry (the local Teen mentioned in Evan's
            > Report for June 22). I just wanted to introduce myself and I am very
            > excited to get started helping with the events and learning about
            > retro computing.

            New-blood geeks! Welcome!

            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
            New Kensington, PA
          • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 24, 2013
              Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

              >On 06/23/2013 10:06 PM, deestroyer39 wrote:
              >> Hi everyone, my name is Henry (the local Teen mentioned in Evan's
              >> Report for June 22). I just wanted to introduce myself and I am very
              >> excited to get started helping with the events and learning about
              >> retro computing.
              >
              > New-blood geeks! Welcome!

              Paedogeek! Welcome!

              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 24, 2013
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 24, 2013
                  On Mon, 24 Jun 2013, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:

                  > Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:
                  >
                  >> On 06/23/2013 10:06 PM, deestroyer39 wrote:
                  >>> Hi everyone, my name is Henry (the local Teen mentioned in Evan's
                  >>> Report for June 22). I just wanted to introduce myself and I am very
                  >>> excited to get started helping with the events and learning about
                  >>> retro computing.
                  >>
                  >> New-blood geeks! Welcome!
                  >
                  > Paedogeek! Welcome!

                  At least it's not a pidogeek!

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 24, 2013

                    > > Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                    > >> New-blood geeks! Welcome!
                    > >
                    > > Paedogeek! Welcome!
                    >
                    > At least it's not a pidogeek!

                    What does that make my 9 year-old son? He's working on a '60 Monroe
                    calculator on the dining room table..
                    bd
                  • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 24, 2013
                      "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> writes:

                      >> > Paedogeek! Welcome!
                      >>
                      >> At least it's not a pidogeek!
                      >>

                      >What does that make my 9 year-old son? He's working on a '60 Monroe
                      >calculator on the dining room table..

                      At Paedogeek!

                      Paedo - combining form
                      indicating a child or children

                      Geek - The word geek is a slang term for odd or non-mainstream people,
                      with different connotations ranging from "a computer expert or
                      enthusiast" to "a person heavily interested in a hobby", with a
                      general pejorative meaning of "a peculiar or otherwise dislikable
                      person, especially one who is perceived to be overly intellectual."

                      I don't agree with the pejorative definition.

                    • Bob Schwier
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 24, 2013
                        I remember the "hello world" greeting. Anyway it's only an insult if you take it
                        as an insult. Congratulations, younger members, this is how you learn to do
                        the real engineering, by going back to the less complicated examples. You are
                        the ones that will make the really new computers because you understand the
                        fundamentals.
                        bs

                        Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Hello World
                        To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                        Date: Monday, June 24, 2013, 4:28 PM

                        wrote:

                        local Teen mentioned in Evan's

                        introduce myself and I am very

                        the events and learning about

                        >> > Paedogeek! Welcome!

                        >> At least it's not a pidogeek!

                        >What does that make my 9 year-old son? He's working
                        on a '60 Monroe

                        >calculator on the dining room table..

                        At Paedogeek!

                        Paedo - combining form

                        indicating a child or children

                        Geek - The word geek is a slang term for odd or
                        non-mainstream people,

                        with different connotations ranging from "a computer
                        expert or

                        enthusiast" to "a person heavily interested in a
                        hobby", with a

                        general pejorative meaning of "a peculiar or otherwise
                        dislikable

                        person, especially one who is perceived to be overly
                        intellectual."

                        I don't agree with the pejorative definition.

                        --

                        VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker
                        VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG

                      • ron_eb2000
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 3, 2014
                          Thank you for your support of the vintage Computing environment well before I heard about your endeavor...  My name is Ron Blechner affectionately known as Ron E B and I'm the newbie here.  I live in South Jersey and have never
                          actually built a Vintage Computer but I think I may qualify as one of yous (yous is the South Jersey term for the southern YALL) since I've been integrating PDP systems since 1974.  I worked for DEC for 17 years and then as a VMS consultant for a few more before landing a job at VARx.  I work on ALL DEC
                          equipment and we in fact have service contracts and large customers.
                          That's what we do.  What I do is lots of integrations including PDP and Micro
                          PDP/VAX systems.  I still occasionally use micro fiche and a wire wrap tool
                          (wrapper).  I support a site that actively uses 8" floppies and large
                          clients that use other relics of the computing world.  Some refer to my work as archaic and primitive, I guess that makes me a PRImate.  Don't get me wrong, I do high end stuff too like Enterprise servers running VMS 8.3 (2012), but I'm proud to say that I just recently acquired a VMS 4.7 (1987) disk and have the two systems talking.  I know kids with parents 25 years their senior that they
                          can't communicate with; GO FIGURE...
                          I'm retiring in a few years so eventually I'm gonna pack up my toys and
                          move into my cave up in the Mts, where the NON ESD sensitive relics
                          will continue to function well into the future.  I'll be using laptops as
                          sinkers in the fish holes I will frequent, and I'll drag a gutted 780 to plow
                          the fields.  gotta love it...

                          RE:   Ron E B barefoot in NJ...