OT: Anyone have a spare DB-37 cable?

    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 17, 2008
      Message
      Calling all MARCHins ... I need a M-to-F extension cable, DB-37 at both ends ... 10 feet would be ideal.  Anybody have one?
    • Bill Dromgoole
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 18, 2008
        Message
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 18, 2008
            Message
            I first heard of MARCH at this years Trenton Computer Festival.

            I went there to see Claude Kagan give a presentation. While waiting I found your table. There was a note on the table about a missing computer board with a reply address that started with sam76@..., so I knew immediately that you were somehow associated with Mr. Kagan and my first impressions were raised higher.
            I liked your displays of working vintage computers. I spoke with Evan Koblentz and David Gesswein about my interest in old computers, especially Ohio Scientific.
            I also mentioned a NTDS slow interface Kleinshmidt printer that I would consider donating to the club if there was any interest.
            I e-mailed Evan with photos of the printer and manual, but got no reply. I then signed up on yahoogroups/midlanticretro and have been lurking ever since.
            I never sent any OSI info to David as I promised because I am so disorganized.

            I seem to have had my interest in old computers rekindled while lurking and realized I have a lot of old computer items in my basement.
            Reading all the e-mail brings back a lot of memories.

            I'm not sure if this is a sufficient Hello statement but it will do for now.

            Bill D. #2

            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 18, 2008
              Message
              >>> I first heard of MARCH at this years Trenton Computer Festival.
              Ah, thanks for explaining all that ... as you'd imagine we meet LOTS of people at computer shows and it is very difficult to remember everyone.

              >>> so I knew immediately that you were somehow associated with Mr. Kagan
              Claude has been a friend-of-MARCH for the past few years.  Most recently, at the Trenton show, we rescued the PDP-8 from his barn.  It is now on exhibit in "as-is" condition at our museum in Wall Township.  (Which you should come visit!  Email me off-list to set up a private museum tour -- evan@....)

              >>> I e-mailed Evan with photos of the printer and manual, but got no reply
              I don't recall getting your email about the printer ... sorry about that.  Please re-send it.

              >>> I'm not sure if this is a sufficient Hello statement
              Quite!

              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 19, 2008
                At 12:18 AM 6/19/2008 -0400, you wrote:
                I first heard of MARCH at this years Trenton Computer Festival.

                <snip>
                I liked your displays of working vintage computers. I spoke with Evan Koblentz and David Gesswein about my interest in old computers, especially Ohio Scientific.
                I also mentioned a NTDS slow interface Kleinshmidt printer that I would consider donating to the club if there was any interest.
                I e-mailed Evan with photos of the printer and manual, but got no reply. I then signed up on yahoogroups/midlanticretro and have been lurking ever since.
                I never sent any OSI info to David as I promised because I am so disorganized.

                <snip>

                Bill D. #2

                Nice to hear from you

                I am interested in OSI, I have a Superboard II but I have spent little time with it so far.  I am mainly focused on the 8080 S-100 at the moment, but I am working my way "up" to the 6502 SBC's too, hopefully soon.  Other than that, my experience with the 6502 lies with Apple, Commodore, and the like.

                Bill Sudebrink has the most knowledge in our group (that I know of) of the OSI line, and has demoed his OSI's from time to time at our events.

                Which OSC's do you have?

                Bill D #1 (just call me "Degnan")
              • deestroyer39
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 23, 2013
                  Hi everyone, my name is Henry (the local Teen mentioned in Evan's Report for June 22). I just wanted to introduce myself and I am very excited to get started helping with the events and learning about retro computing.
                • Cory Smelosky
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 23, 2013
                    On Sun, 24 Jun 2013, deestroyer39 wrote:

                    > Hi everyone, my name is Henry (the local Teen mentioned in Evan's Report for June 22). I just wanted to introduce myself and I am very excited to get started helping with the events and learning about retro computing.

                    Welcome aboard!

                    Any place in particular you want to get started? Any company's gear
                    you're fond of? ;)

                    --
                    Cory Smelosky
                    http://gewt.net Personal stuff
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 23, 2013
                      On 06/23/2013 10:06 PM, deestroyer39 wrote:
                      > Hi everyone, my name is Henry (the local Teen mentioned in Evan's
                      > Report for June 22). I just wanted to introduce myself and I am very
                      > excited to get started helping with the events and learning about
                      > retro computing.

                      New-blood geeks! Welcome!

                      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                      New Kensington, PA
                    • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 24, 2013
                        Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                        >On 06/23/2013 10:06 PM, deestroyer39 wrote:
                        >> Hi everyone, my name is Henry (the local Teen mentioned in Evan's
                        >> Report for June 22). I just wanted to introduce myself and I am very
                        >> excited to get started helping with the events and learning about
                        >> retro computing.
                        >
                        > New-blood geeks! Welcome!

                        Paedogeek! Welcome!

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 24, 2013
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 24, 2013
                            On Mon, 24 Jun 2013, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:

                            > Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:
                            >
                            >> On 06/23/2013 10:06 PM, deestroyer39 wrote:
                            >>> Hi everyone, my name is Henry (the local Teen mentioned in Evan's
                            >>> Report for June 22). I just wanted to introduce myself and I am very
                            >>> excited to get started helping with the events and learning about
                            >>> retro computing.
                            >>
                            >> New-blood geeks! Welcome!
                            >
                            > Paedogeek! Welcome!

                            At least it's not a pidogeek!

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 24, 2013

                              > > Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                              > >> New-blood geeks! Welcome!
                              > >
                              > > Paedogeek! Welcome!
                              >
                              > At least it's not a pidogeek!

                              What does that make my 9 year-old son? He's working on a '60 Monroe
                              calculator on the dining room table..
                              bd
                            • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 24, 2013
                                "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> writes:

                                >> > Paedogeek! Welcome!
                                >>
                                >> At least it's not a pidogeek!
                                >>

                                >What does that make my 9 year-old son? He's working on a '60 Monroe
                                >calculator on the dining room table..

                                At Paedogeek!

                                Paedo - combining form
                                indicating a child or children

                                Geek - The word geek is a slang term for odd or non-mainstream people,
                                with different connotations ranging from "a computer expert or
                                enthusiast" to "a person heavily interested in a hobby", with a
                                general pejorative meaning of "a peculiar or otherwise dislikable
                                person, especially one who is perceived to be overly intellectual."

                                I don't agree with the pejorative definition.

                              • Bob Schwier
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 24, 2013
                                  I remember the "hello world" greeting. Anyway it's only an insult if you take it
                                  as an insult. Congratulations, younger members, this is how you learn to do
                                  the real engineering, by going back to the less complicated examples. You are
                                  the ones that will make the really new computers because you understand the
                                  fundamentals.
                                  bs

                                  Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Hello World
                                  To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                                  Date: Monday, June 24, 2013, 4:28 PM

                                  wrote:

                                  local Teen mentioned in Evan's

                                  introduce myself and I am very

                                  the events and learning about

                                  >> > Paedogeek! Welcome!

                                  >> At least it's not a pidogeek!

                                  >What does that make my 9 year-old son? He's working
                                  on a '60 Monroe

                                  >calculator on the dining room table..

                                  At Paedogeek!

                                  Paedo - combining form

                                  indicating a child or children

                                  Geek - The word geek is a slang term for odd or
                                  non-mainstream people,

                                  with different connotations ranging from "a computer
                                  expert or

                                  enthusiast" to "a person heavily interested in a
                                  hobby", with a

                                  general pejorative meaning of "a peculiar or otherwise
                                  dislikable

                                  person, especially one who is perceived to be overly
                                  intellectual."

                                  I don't agree with the pejorative definition.

                                  --

                                  VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker
                                  VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG

                                • ron_eb2000
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Mar 3, 2014
                                    Thank you for your support of the vintage Computing environment well before I heard about your endeavor...  My name is Ron Blechner affectionately known as Ron E B and I'm the newbie here.  I live in South Jersey and have never
                                    actually built a Vintage Computer but I think I may qualify as one of yous (yous is the South Jersey term for the southern YALL) since I've been integrating PDP systems since 1974.  I worked for DEC for 17 years and then as a VMS consultant for a few more before landing a job at VARx.  I work on ALL DEC
                                    equipment and we in fact have service contracts and large customers.
                                    That's what we do.  What I do is lots of integrations including PDP and Micro
                                    PDP/VAX systems.  I still occasionally use micro fiche and a wire wrap tool
                                    (wrapper).  I support a site that actively uses 8" floppies and large
                                    clients that use other relics of the computing world.  Some refer to my work as archaic and primitive, I guess that makes me a PRImate.  Don't get me wrong, I do high end stuff too like Enterprise servers running VMS 8.3 (2012), but I'm proud to say that I just recently acquired a VMS 4.7 (1987) disk and have the two systems talking.  I know kids with parents 25 years their senior that they
                                    can't communicate with; GO FIGURE...
                                    I'm retiring in a few years so eventually I'm gonna pack up my toys and
                                    move into my cave up in the Mts, where the NON ESD sensitive relics
                                    will continue to function well into the future.  I'll be using laptops as
                                    sinkers in the fish holes I will frequent, and I'll drag a gutted 780 to plow
                                    the fields.  gotta love it...

                                    RE:   Ron E B barefoot in NJ...