Stupid BBS question

  • Richard A. Cini
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 17, 2008
      Stupid BBS question All:

          I built-up a small BBS server for demo purposes. I don’t know why...idle hands I guess. Anyway, it’s a Win98 box with a Digi 8-port serial card and six 14.4 modems connected to a small 8-station PBX. I have Mystic BBS installed but there are others I can play with (suggestions welcome).

          Here’s the question...does anyone know if you can “import” a complete file tree, description files and all, into the BBS’ file area or do I have to re-create it from scratch?For testing, I have both Mystic and Terminal running on the same machine and I’m dialing myself so to speak (answer modem on COM3; originate on COM4).

          I was thinking of having some sort of BBS demo for classic machines with modems at VCFe but to really make it work, I need an analog PBX that can handle more than 8 stations, so this is experimentation only.

      Rich

      --
      Rich Cini
      Collector of Classic Computers
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 17, 2008
        Message
        >>> I was thinking of having some sort of BBS demo for classic machines with modems at VCFe

        I like that idea a lot.  We can advertise that and challenge everyone to connect to it.
      • Bill Degnan
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 17, 2008
          <snip>
          > Here¹s the question...does anyone know if you can ³import² a complete
          > file tree, description files and all, into the BBS¹ file area or do I have
          > to re-create it from scratch?For testing, I have both Mystic and Terminal
          > running on the same machine and I¹m dialing myself so to speak (answer modem
          > on COM3; originate on COM4).

          How about using laplink via the parallel ports, or a disk-spanning LHA compressed file? how about ftp via modem? Winftp rebuilds directory structures.
          Or maybe I am missing your question.
          Bill
        • Richard A. Cini

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 17, 2008
              ah. does this software have a index repair or similar function? Once you bring the files over you can initiate a repair or re-index function?

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 17, 2008
                Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Stupid BBS question Good point. I’ll have to look.

                Anyone have an opinion as to decent BBS software? I actually downloaded some from http://archives.thebbs.org/ but there are so many I just kind of picked one at random.

                On 6/17/08 9:31 PM, "Bill Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

                ah.    does this software have a index repair or similar function?  Once you bring the files over you can initiate a repair or re-index function?

                > I re-read this and I think I should clarify a bit. I know how to physically
                > move the files to where I want them, either using Windows or plain old DOS’
                > XCOPY. What I was concerned with is the generation of any index files or
                > menu trees by the BBS software itself. I didn’t want to have to re-create
                > the BBS menu tree from the file system tree if there was an automated way to
                > do it. SIMTEL and CPMUG have pretty deep file trees in some places.
                >

                > On 6/17/08 9:15 PM, "Richard A. Cini" <rcini@... <mailto:rcini%40optonline.net> > wrote:
                >
                > > All:
                > >
                > >     I built-up a small BBS server for demo purposes. I don’t know why...idle
                > > hands I guess. Anyway, it’s a Win98 box with a Digi 8-port serial card and six
                > > 14.4 modems connected to a small 8-station PBX. I have Mystic BBS installed
                > > but there are others I can play with (suggestions welcome).
                > >
                > >     Here’s the question...does anyone know if you can “import” a complete file
                > > tree, description files and all, into the BBS’ file area or do I have to
                > > re-create it from scratch?For testing, I have both Mystic and Terminal running
                > > on the same machine and I’m dialing myself so to speak (answer modem on COM3;
                > > originate on COM4).
                > >
                > >     I was thinking of having some sort of BBS demo for classic machines with
                > > modems at VCFe but to really make it work, I need an analog PBX that can
                > > handle more than 8 stations, so this is experimentation only.
                > >
                > > Rich
                > >
                > > --
                > > Rich Cini
                > > Collector of Classic Computers
                > > Build Master and lead engineer, Altair32 Emulator
                > > http://www.altair32.com
                > > http://www.classiccmp.org/cini
                >

                > Rich
                >
                > --
                > Rich Cini
                > Collector of Classic Computers
                > http://www.altair32.com
                > http://www.classiccmp.org/cini

                Rich

                --
                Rich Cini
                Collector of Classic Computers
                http://www.altair32.com
                http://www.classiccmp.org/cini
              • Mason Taube
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 17, 2008
                   there's probably a file_id.diz importer available for mystic bbs. it will go through the files and pull the file_id.diz (description in zip) and import it into the index. i've never used mystic bbs but have seen this in other platforms.

                  maybe here? http://archives.thebbs.org/ra125c.htm

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 17, 2008
                    I remember re-indexing took a while.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 22, 2008
                      Rich,

                      How about Fido? FidoNET brought email to BBS's around the country. Just explaining how that worked would be a good VCF exhibit.

                      The problem with modem-based communications is still the same: phone lines cost money. I plan to have Wi-Fi set up at VCF this year so allowing people to connect via telnet should be possible.

                      Jim

                      Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Stupid BBS questionGood point. I’ll have to look.

                      Anyone have an opinion as to decent BBS software? I actually downloaded some from http://archives.thebbs.org/ but there are so many I just kind of picked one at random.

                      On 6/17/08 9:31 PM, "Bill Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

                      ah.    does this software have a index repair or similar function?  Once you bring the files over you can initiate a repair or re-index function?

                      > I re-read this and I think I should clarify a bit. I know how to physically
                      > move the files to where I want them, either using Windows or plain old DOS’
                      > XCOPY. What I was concerned with is the generation of any index files or
                      > menu trees by the BBS software itself. I didn’t want to have to re-create
                      > the BBS menu tree from the file system tree if there was an automated way to
                      > do it. SIMTEL and CPMUG have pretty deep file trees in some places.
                      >

                      > On 6/17/08 9:15 PM, "Richard A. Cini" <rcini@... <mailto:rcini%40optonline.net> > wrote:
                      >
                      > > All:
                      > >
                      > >     I built-up a small BBS server for demo purposes. I don’t know why...idle
                      > > hands I guess. Anyway, it’s a Win98 box with a Digi 8-port serial card and six
                      > > 14.4 modems connected to a small 8-station PBX. I have Mystic BBS installed
                      > > but there are others I can play with (suggestions welcome).
                      > >
                      > >     Here’s the question...does anyone know if you can “import” a complete file
                      > > tree, description files and all, into the BBS’ file area or do I have to
                      > > re-create it from scratch?For testing, I have both Mystic and Terminal running
                      > > on the same machine and I’m dialing myself so to speak (answer modem on COM3;
                      > > originate on COM4).
                      > >
                      > >     I was thinking of having some sort of BBS demo for classic machines with
                      > > modems at VCFe but to really make it work, I need an analog PBX that can
                      > > handle more than 8 stations, so this is experimentation only.
                      > >
                      > > Rich
                      > >
                      > > --
                      > > Rich Cini
                      > > Collector of Classic Computers
                      > > Build Master and lead engineer, Altair32 Emulator
                      > > http://www.altair32.com
                      > > http://www.classiccmp.org/cini
                      >

                      > Rich
                      >
                      > --
                      > Rich Cini
                      > Collector of Classic Computers
                      > http://www.altair32.com
                      > http://www.classiccmp.org/cini

                      Rich

                      --
                      Rich Cini
                      Collector of Classic Computers
                      http://www.altair32.com
                      http://www.classiccmp.org/cini
                    • Dan Roganti
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 22, 2008

                        Jim Scheef wrote:
                        Rich,

                        How about Fido? FidoNET brought email to BBS's around the country. Just explaining how that worked would be a good VCF exhibit.

                        The problem with modem-based communications is still the same: phone lines cost money. I plan to have Wi-Fi set up at VCF this year so allowing people to connect via telnet should be possible.

                        Jim

                        Here's the original Fidonet ad -- woof !
                        http://tinyurl.com/4swxsg

                        =Dan