RE: [midatlanticretro] Apple II monitor?

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 7, 2005
      RCA jack

      From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com [mailto:midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Jim Scheef
      Sent: Thursday, July 07, 2005 5:50 PM
      To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Apple II monitor?

      Evan,

      I would expect any CGA monitor to work. Does the IIc output NTSC video to an
      RCA jack? Or is there a 9-pin D connector like a CGA card in a PC?

      Jim

      --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

      > Hey, does anyone have a monitor that'll work on my //c ... I
      recently
      > discovered that most of the software requires 80 columns but
      the computer
      > will only display 40 columns on a TV set.  (Didn't
      realize this before
      > because I was only running AppleSoft BASIC which is
      an exception and works
      > fine in 40 columns.)
      >
      > I can get a
      monitor free from some west coast contacts, but I don't want to
      > pay
      shipping on something heavy.  Prefer to pick it up locally.

      > -- Your friendly (un)moderator

      > *** Tell your friends about the (free!) Computer Collector
      Newsletter
      > - 750 readers and no spam / Publishes every Monday / Write
      for us!
      > - Mainframes to videogames, hardware and software, we cover it
      all
      > - W:
      href="http://news.computercollector.com">http://news.computercollector.com  E: news@...

    • Evan
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 7, 2005
        Oh?  Didn't realize they were all compatible.

        Do you have an extra one to sell?  (Or does anyone on this list?)

        In a message dated 7/7/2005 6:34:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        jscheef@... writes:

        >  Evan,

        >  I would
        expect any CGA monitor to work. Does the IIc output NTSC video to
        an
        >  RCA jack? Or is there a 9-pin D connector like a CGA card
        in a PC?

        Vintage computer30th anniversaryComputer security
        Computer trainingSwap meet
      • Kelly Leavitt
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 7, 2005
          Evan:
          I've got a Commodore 1084S you can have if you come pick it up in Northern New Jersey. Colors are a little weird.

          Kelly

        • billdeg@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 7, 2005
            Evan,
            I have plenty, I will give you one if you want to come down to Delaware to
            pick it up. Do you need full color or monocrome?
            bd

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 7, 2005
              evan,
              or when I come up to InfoAge hopefully next month I can bring one...you may
              not want to wait that long.
              bd
            • Liam Busey
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 8, 2005
                > Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 17:13:03 -0400
                > From: "Evan" <evan947@...>
                > Subject: Apple II monitor?
                >
                > Hey, does anyone have a monitor that'll work on my
                > //c ... I recently
                > discovered that most of the software requires 80
                > columns but the computer
                > will only display 40 columns on a TV set. (Didn't
                > realize this before
                > because I was only running AppleSoft BASIC which is
                > an exception and works
                > fine in 40 columns.)
                >
                > I can get a monitor free from some west coast
                > contacts, but I don't want to
                > pay shipping on something heavy. Prefer to pick it
                > up locally.

                Hmmm, your //c should be able to display 80 columns on
                a television set. It'll just be illegible. ;)

                For 80 column software you'll want a monochrome
                monitor with composite video input jack (just like
                your TV) or an RGB monitor with accompaning interface.
                The //c RGB interfaces are somewhat rare these days.
                Most people used a monochrome monitor.

                I have a green monochrome //c monitor that you're
                welcome to if you'd like to pick it up. It's the
                little white 9" one on the Apple manuals and
                advertising. Combined with the //c it makes for a cute
                setup. I live in Annapolis, MD if you're interested.

                Liam Busey

                http://auctions.yahoo.com/
              • Evan
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 8, 2005
                  Thanks, but Bill and Kelly each live closer to me (Delaware and northern NJ).

                  display 40 columns on a TV set.  (Didn't
                  > realize this
                  before
                  > because I was only running AppleSoft BASIC which is
                  > an
                  exception and works

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 8, 2005
                      OK. Please remind me as we get closer.