Museum today

    Message 1 of 66 , Jun 14, 2008
      Message
      Today I was at the museum from noon until 7pm.  Joe was there to help from noon to about 4, and Jeff Jonas was there from about 2 until 7.

      We spent the whole day working in our largest exhibit room.  Some of the NJARC members showed us techniques for un-sticking the windows.  Once we did that, we were able to scrape off multiple layers of gunk and old paint which were preventing the windows from opening properly.  There are six windows in that room and all were working properly by the end of the day (although Joe and I both managed to crack some of the glass).

      While taking a break from scraping old paint off the windows, Jeff and I decided to start setting up some tables for exhibits.  We currently have enough tables to line the entire back wall of that room (about 28 feet).  Two of the tables are laminated wood and two are plastic, but they're all the same height and width, so with nice tablecloths over them, it will appear to be a single long bench.

      We three also installed an air conditioner (thanks to Dan R.!) and we took delivery of two nice display cases that the club bought from NJARC.

      Finally, we pondered how to finish the windows.  Even after several hours of cleaning and scraping, we concluded there's just too much detail work for MARCH to handle.  But at least the windows WORK now.  So, we decided the best approach is to copy what NJARCH and NJHDA did -- cover the windows completely.

      The best way to cover them is undecided.  We have access to a large amount of FREE and decent-condition sheetrock at InfoAge.  I'm inclined to use that to cover the windows, put some moulding on the sides, and call it a display area.  Fill the space with posters, signs, vintage computer advertisements, code printouts on greenbar paper, computer company t-shirts, etc. .... that same approach works great for NJHDA.  Best of all, in addition to being free, it is EASY ... which are big factors.

      Jeff had another idea that we can consider -- cover the window areas with blueprints of electronic schematics.  They can be very large and would still let light through.

      Nothing is decided, so suggestions are welcome.
      Message 66 of 66 , Sep 15, 2012
        > I spent 5+ years there (4th Fl. Myers Ctr aka. the Hexagon) and I didn't hear anything about any alumni function.

        Sent you a private email just now.