Re: [midatlanticretro] regarding security

  • David Gesswein
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 28, 2005
      > I am however concerned that we not allow carte blanche access to "try the
      > computers" as is mentioned in the advertisement for this show. I am sure
      > I speak
      > for the group that we only allow selected people to try the computers, who
      > appear to know what they are doing. I want to have fun and not worry about
      > my exhibit if I feel like leaving it to go buy a taco or something.

      My expectation was that while I was their to supervise anybody who wanted
      could play with the machine(s) using the tables etc to limit access so only
      one or two people will be with the equipment. They will only be able to
      play with the buttons I want. They don't get to mount new disks etc.

      While I'm not their they don't get to touch anything.

      Most of it is reasonably durable. Right now I'm making the assumption that
      people will treat with some respect even if they aren't familiar. I also
      have never displayed stuff or been to anything with vintage stuff so I may
      be off on my expectations of people.

      Does anybody have experience with anything similar to know how people
      treat stuff at these events? If you label something don't touch it is the
      first thing they play with?
    • evan
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 28, 2005
        I've been to several events. People are very respectful. However I have found
        that age isn't a factor -- adult nerds can be even more grabby than children.
        I assure you that WE set the rules for our exhibit, not the TCF organizers.
        Each of us can let attendees be as hands-on or hands-off as we like, when we
        like. The only real requirement is that we each exhibit working and
        switched-on computers, not just stuff to sit there. I'm not saying that every
        machine has to be 'on' the whole time, just most of the time. (It is perfectly
        reasonable to turn things off and lock them up when you step away.) That is
        what will really excite the attendees and win us some praise!

        LOL, of course people can't be mounting disks! We just want to give people a
        small taste, not a whole meal. :)

        --- David Gesswein <djg@...> wrote:

        > > I am however concerned that we not allow carte blanche access to "try the
        > > computers" as is mentioned in the advertisement for this show. I am sure
        > > I speak
        > > for the group that we only allow selected people to try the computers, who
        > > appear to know what they are doing. I want to have fun and not worry about
        >
        > > my exhibit if I feel like leaving it to go buy a taco or something.
        > >
        > My expectation was that while I was their to supervise anybody who wanted
        > could play with the machine(s) using the tables etc to limit access so only
        > one or two people will be with the equipment. They will only be able to
        > play with the buttons I want. They don't get to mount new disks etc.
        >
        > While I'm not their they don't get to touch anything.
        >
        > Most of it is reasonably durable. Right now I'm making the assumption that
        > people will treat with some respect even if they aren't familiar. I also
        > have never displayed stuff or been to anything with vintage stuff so I may
        > be off on my expectations of people.
        >
        > Does anybody have experience with anything similar to know how people
        > treat stuff at these events? If you label something don't touch it is the
        > first thing they play with?

        =====
        Evan's personal homepage: www.snarc.net

        *** Tell your friends about the Computer Collector Newsletter!
        - It's free and we'll never send spam or share your email address
        - Publishing every Monday(-ish), ask about writing for us
        - We're approaching 700 readers: win a prize!