Re: [midatlanticretro] Apple II monitor?

    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 7 2:50 PM
      Evan,

      I would expect any CGA monitor to work. Does the IIc output NTSC video to an
      RCA jack? Or is there a 9-pin D connector like a CGA card in a PC?

      Jim

    • billdeg@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 7 3:47 PM
        Any Commodore monitor will work.
        bd

        In a message dated 7/7/2005 6:34:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        jscheef@... writes:

        > Evan,
        >
        > I would expect any CGA monitor to work. Does the IIc output NTSC video to
        an
        > RCA jack? Or is there a 9-pin D connector like a CGA card in a PC?
        >
        > Jim
      • Evan
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 7 4:31 PM
          RCA jack

          --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

          > Hey, does anyone have a monitor that'll work on my //c ... I
          recently
          > discovered that most of the software requires 80 columns but
          the computer
          > will only display 40 columns on a TV set.  (Didn't
          realize this before
          > because I was only running AppleSoft BASIC which is
          an exception and works
          > fine in 40 columns.)
          >
          > I can get a
          monitor free from some west coast contacts, but I don't want to
          > pay
          shipping on something heavy.  Prefer to pick it up locally.

          > -- Your friendly (un)moderator

          > *** Tell your friends about the (free!) Computer Collector
          Newsletter
          > - 750 readers and no spam / Publishes every Monday / Write
          for us!
          > - Mainframes to videogames, hardware and software, we cover it
          all
          > - W:
          href="http://news.computercollector.com">http://news.computercollector.com  E: news@...

        • Evan
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 7 4:32 PM
            Oh?  Didn't realize they were all compatible.

            Do you have an extra one to sell?  (Or does anyone on this list?)

            jscheef@... writes:

            >  Evan,

            >  I would
            expect any CGA monitor to work. Does the IIc output NTSC video to
            an
            >  RCA jack? Or is there a 9-pin D connector like a CGA card
            in a PC?

            Vintage computer30th anniversaryComputer security
            Computer trainingSwap meet
          • Kelly Leavitt
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 7 5:36 PM
              Evan:
              I've got a Commodore 1084S you can have if you come pick it up in Northern New Jersey. Colors are a little weird.

              Kelly

              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 7 6:10 PM
                Evan,
                I have plenty, I will give you one if you want to come down to Delaware to
                pick it up. Do you need full color or monocrome?
                bd

                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 7 6:11 PM
                  evan,
                  or when I come up to InfoAge hopefully next month I can bring one...you may
                  not want to wait that long.
                  bd
                • Liam Busey
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 8 12:01 PM
                    > Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 17:13:03 -0400
                    > From: "Evan" <evan947@...>
                    > Subject: Apple II monitor?
                    >
                    > Hey, does anyone have a monitor that'll work on my
                    > //c ... I recently
                    > discovered that most of the software requires 80
                    > columns but the computer
                    > will only display 40 columns on a TV set. (Didn't
                    > realize this before
                    > because I was only running AppleSoft BASIC which is
                    > an exception and works
                    > fine in 40 columns.)
                    >
                    > I can get a monitor free from some west coast
                    > contacts, but I don't want to
                    > pay shipping on something heavy. Prefer to pick it
                    > up locally.

                    Hmmm, your //c should be able to display 80 columns on
                    a television set. It'll just be illegible. ;)

                    For 80 column software you'll want a monochrome
                    monitor with composite video input jack (just like
                    your TV) or an RGB monitor with accompaning interface.
                    The //c RGB interfaces are somewhat rare these days.
                    Most people used a monochrome monitor.

                    I have a green monochrome //c monitor that you're
                    welcome to if you'd like to pick it up. It's the
                    little white 9" one on the Apple manuals and
                    advertising. Combined with the //c it makes for a cute
                    setup. I live in Annapolis, MD if you're interested.

                    Liam Busey

                    http://auctions.yahoo.com/
                  • Evan
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 8 12:15 PM
                      Thanks, but Bill and Kelly each live closer to me (Delaware and northern NJ).

                      display 40 columns on a TV set.  (Didn't
                      > realize this
                      before
                      > because I was only running AppleSoft BASIC which is
                      > an
                      exception and works

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 8 12:53 PM
                        Bill -- I accept your offer!  If you can bring a color one, that'd be great, thanks.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 8 3:08 PM
                          OK. Please remind me as we get closer.
                          Bill