Re: Semi-OT: Bookfair vultures...

  • Herb Johnson
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 6, 2008
      > This time I go on the first day and find to my dismay there are all
      > these "vultures" with PDAs and bar code scanners ...

      Welcome to the 21st century. This is what happens when Amazon allows
      people to sell books for $3 a pop plus $3 shipping AND make money.
      Result: a desperate race to find the most valuable books at the lowest
      price in the shortest time. I see it myself, all the time now, at these
      booksales.

      Let's see...from my core memory I hear author Larry Niven saying
      "...think of it as evolution in action...".

      You might do better, as you say, to come back later. With any luck they
      will throw back some of the old computer books, which don't sell for
      much. Books without ISDN's get passed up. You CAN'T beat them to the
      sale, not unless you get there early. AND, all the book sales now have a
      "early birds" deal where you pay up front to get there early. The fix,
      as they say, is *in*.

      > Bring a WiFi jam8*&er with you next time :)

      Won't stop the cell phone based products, I think. And I'm not sure I
      want to carry around any cell phone j%$&mers, and have someone in a
      uniform (or worse, a suit) walk up to me and say "come with me,
      please...".

      Anyway, the books will end up on Amazon, and you can buy them there for
      several dollars instead of $2 or $4. There's still deals at flea markets
      and hamfests, sometimes. Hey, the day of the Mars landing, I got "The
      Exploration of Mars" by Werner Von Brawn at a popular flea market, at
      noon, for $10. It's worth $80, I know because I looked it up on Amazon!

      Herb Johnson
      circling around flea markets
      retrotechnology.com