Re: [midatlanticretro] Semi-OT: Bookfair vultures...

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 6, 2008
      Bryan,

      that's easy to resolve.
      Bring a WiFi jammer with you next time :)
      You can make your own with a 2.4GHz cordless phone --chann.11 is most common freq
      (you didnt here it from me)

      =Dan
      [ Pittsburgh --- http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/   ]

      Bryan Pope wrote:
      these "vultures" with PDAs and bar code scanners going through all of
      the books to find what they can resell.. :(  They were rude, filling up

    • Herb Johnson
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 6, 2008
        > This time I go on the first day and find to my dismay there are all
        > these "vultures" with PDAs and bar code scanners ...

        Welcome to the 21st century. This is what happens when Amazon allows
        people to sell books for $3 a pop plus $3 shipping AND make money.
        Result: a desperate race to find the most valuable books at the lowest
        price in the shortest time. I see it myself, all the time now, at these
        booksales.

        Let's see...from my core memory I hear author Larry Niven saying
        "...think of it as evolution in action...".

        You might do better, as you say, to come back later. With any luck they
        will throw back some of the old computer books, which don't sell for
        much. Books without ISDN's get passed up. You CAN'T beat them to the
        sale, not unless you get there early. AND, all the book sales now have a
        "early birds" deal where you pay up front to get there early. The fix,
        as they say, is *in*.

        > Bring a WiFi jam8*&er with you next time :)

        Won't stop the cell phone based products, I think. And I'm not sure I
        want to carry around any cell phone j%$&mers, and have someone in a
        uniform (or worse, a suit) walk up to me and say "come with me,
        please...".

        Anyway, the books will end up on Amazon, and you can buy them there for
        several dollars instead of $2 or $4. There's still deals at flea markets
        and hamfests, sometimes. Hey, the day of the Mars landing, I got "The
        Exploration of Mars" by Werner Von Brawn at a popular flea market, at
        noon, for $10. It's worth $80, I know because I looked it up on Amazon!

        Herb Johnson
        circling around flea markets
        retrotechnology.com