Semi-OT: Bookfair vultures...

  • Bryan Pope
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 6, 2008
      I go to a book fair this morning at a local library to hopefully find a
      few good books for a cheap price.. Last time I picked up "Compilier
      Design Theory" for $2.00.. :)

      This time I go on the first day and find to my dismay there are all
      these "vultures" with PDAs and bar code scanners going through all of
      the books to find what they can resell.. :( They were rude, filling up
      with a bin and piling up books they were going through on top of books
      in other sections. :(

      Unfortunately I could not find the computer section this time because of
      all the vultures in the way.. Maybe I will go tomorrow afternoon and
      see if they have some older technical and/or computer books..

      Cheers,

      Bryan
    • Dan Roganti
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 6, 2008
        Bryan,

        that's easy to resolve.
        Bring a WiFi jammer with you next time :)
        You can make your own with a 2.4GHz cordless phone --chann.11 is most common freq
        (you didnt here it from me)

        =Dan
        [ Pittsburgh --- http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/   ]

        Bryan Pope wrote:
        these "vultures" with PDAs and bar code scanners going through all of
        the books to find what they can resell.. :(  They were rude, filling up

      • Herb Johnson
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 6, 2008
          > This time I go on the first day and find to my dismay there are all
          > these "vultures" with PDAs and bar code scanners ...

          Welcome to the 21st century. This is what happens when Amazon allows
          people to sell books for $3 a pop plus $3 shipping AND make money.
          Result: a desperate race to find the most valuable books at the lowest
          price in the shortest time. I see it myself, all the time now, at these
          booksales.

          Let's see...from my core memory I hear author Larry Niven saying
          "...think of it as evolution in action...".

          You might do better, as you say, to come back later. With any luck they
          will throw back some of the old computer books, which don't sell for
          much. Books without ISDN's get passed up. You CAN'T beat them to the
          sale, not unless you get there early. AND, all the book sales now have a
          "early birds" deal where you pay up front to get there early. The fix,
          as they say, is *in*.

          > Bring a WiFi jam8*&er with you next time :)

          Won't stop the cell phone based products, I think. And I'm not sure I
          want to carry around any cell phone j%$&mers, and have someone in a
          uniform (or worse, a suit) walk up to me and say "come with me,
          please...".

          Anyway, the books will end up on Amazon, and you can buy them there for
          several dollars instead of $2 or $4. There's still deals at flea markets
          and hamfests, sometimes. Hey, the day of the Mars landing, I got "The
          Exploration of Mars" by Werner Von Brawn at a popular flea market, at
          noon, for $10. It's worth $80, I know because I looked it up on Amazon!

          Herb Johnson
          circling around flea markets
          retrotechnology.com