Apple II monitor?

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 7, 2005
      Hey, does anyone have a monitor that'll work on my //c ... I recently
      discovered that most of the software requires 80 columns but the computer
      will only display 40 columns on a TV set. (Didn't realize this before
      because I was only running AppleSoft BASIC which is an exception and works
      fine in 40 columns.)

      I can get a monitor free from some west coast contacts, but I don't want to
      pay shipping on something heavy. Prefer to pick it up locally.

      -- Your friendly (un)moderator

      - 750 readers and no spam / Publishes every Monday / Write for us!
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 7, 2005
        Evan,

        I would expect any CGA monitor to work. Does the IIc output NTSC video to an
        RCA jack? Or is there a 9-pin D connector like a CGA card in a PC?

        Jim

      • billdeg@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 7, 2005
          Any Commodore monitor will work.
          bd

          In a message dated 7/7/2005 6:34:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          jscheef@... writes:

          > Evan,
          >
          > I would expect any CGA monitor to work. Does the IIc output NTSC video to
          an
          > RCA jack? Or is there a 9-pin D connector like a CGA card in a PC?
          >
          > Jim
        • Evan
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 7, 2005
            RCA jack

            --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

            > Hey, does anyone have a monitor that'll work on my //c ... I
            recently
            > discovered that most of the software requires 80 columns but
            the computer
            > will only display 40 columns on a TV set.  (Didn't
            realize this before
            > because I was only running AppleSoft BASIC which is
            an exception and works
            > fine in 40 columns.)
            >
            > I can get a
            monitor free from some west coast contacts, but I don't want to
            > pay
            shipping on something heavy.  Prefer to pick it up locally.

            > -- Your friendly (un)moderator

            > *** Tell your friends about the (free!) Computer Collector
            Newsletter
            > - 750 readers and no spam / Publishes every Monday / Write
            for us!
            > - Mainframes to videogames, hardware and software, we cover it
            all
            > - W:
            href="http://news.computercollector.com">http://news.computercollector.com  E: news@...

          • Evan
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 7, 2005
              Oh?  Didn't realize they were all compatible.

              Do you have an extra one to sell?  (Or does anyone on this list?)

              jscheef@... writes:

              >  Evan,

              >  I would
              expect any CGA monitor to work. Does the IIc output NTSC video to
              an
              >  RCA jack? Or is there a 9-pin D connector like a CGA card
              in a PC?

              Vintage computer30th anniversaryComputer security
              Computer trainingSwap meet
            • Kelly Leavitt
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 7, 2005
                Evan:
                I've got a Commodore 1084S you can have if you come pick it up in Northern New Jersey. Colors are a little weird.

                Kelly

                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 7, 2005
                  Evan,
                  I have plenty, I will give you one if you want to come down to Delaware to
                  pick it up. Do you need full color or monocrome?
                  bd

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 7, 2005
                    evan,
                    or when I come up to InfoAge hopefully next month I can bring one...you may
                    not want to wait that long.
                    bd
                  • Liam Busey
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 8, 2005
                      > Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 17:13:03 -0400
                      > From: "Evan" <evan947@...>
                      > Subject: Apple II monitor?
                      >
                      > Hey, does anyone have a monitor that'll work on my
                      > //c ... I recently
                      > discovered that most of the software requires 80
                      > columns but the computer
                      > will only display 40 columns on a TV set. (Didn't
                      > realize this before
                      > because I was only running AppleSoft BASIC which is
                      > an exception and works
                      > fine in 40 columns.)
                      >
                      > I can get a monitor free from some west coast
                      > contacts, but I don't want to
                      > pay shipping on something heavy. Prefer to pick it
                      > up locally.

                      Hmmm, your //c should be able to display 80 columns on
                      a television set. It'll just be illegible. ;)

                      For 80 column software you'll want a monochrome
                      monitor with composite video input jack (just like
                      your TV) or an RGB monitor with accompaning interface.
                      The //c RGB interfaces are somewhat rare these days.
                      Most people used a monochrome monitor.

                      I have a green monochrome //c monitor that you're
                      welcome to if you'd like to pick it up. It's the
                      little white 9" one on the Apple manuals and
                      advertising. Combined with the //c it makes for a cute
                      setup. I live in Annapolis, MD if you're interested.

                      Liam Busey

                      http://auctions.yahoo.com/
                    • Evan
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 8, 2005
                        Thanks, but Bill and Kelly each live closer to me (Delaware and northern NJ).

                        display 40 columns on a TV set.  (Didn't
                        > realize this
                        before
                        > because I was only running AppleSoft BASIC which is
                        > an
                        exception and works

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 8, 2005
                          Bill -- I accept your offer!  If you can bring a color one, that'd be great, thanks.

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 8, 2005
                            OK. Please remind me as we get closer.
                            Bill