Re: [midatlanticretro] Pics available...Re: MARCH outpost report

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 2, 2008

      Herb Johnson wrote:
      Good photos of the exhibit. How was the rest of the show? How many
      vendors, and of them was there much "vintage computing" stuff? How
      many visitors did you get, was there much interest from the attendees?

      Thanks Herb. The rest of the Hamfest was as busy as ever. The traffic on the road to the entrance was a mile long at 8am. But I sneaked in from the other direction :) If you refer to that aerial view link I sent before, the entire flea market section was full again(30 acres) It took me over an hour walking at fast pace just to get through every row in time before all the good stuff was sold. Also the indoor booths in all the buildings were full. The parking section was just about full too. The weather was perfect --sunny all day--

      Mostly all of it was electronics, radio and ham gear(which there was a ton as usual). There was little vintage computer gear there, mostly PC stuff, a couple of Mac's. I saw a C64 Packet Radio station for sale there--I almost bought that. I picked up an Odyssey² video console for only $20. Picked up some more assorted chip clips--you can never have enough of these :) There was another guy with a bunch of old vintage books for only 25cents, so I bought the whole box--I'll post it on my book list soon.

      I lost count of the visitors to our booth, there were several dozen people at least. There was the constant 'shooting the breeze' going on there--I would have taken more pics if it hadn't been for that. I spoke with many of them, about all the different computers they had owed and what  computers they worked on at their old jobs. I talked with someone who had worked on the SEL minicomputers that we made for DoD. This is something thats always fun to do because you get to meet more people from around the area. We're going setup the exhibit again next year.

      =Dan
      [ Never put off till tomorrow, What you can do the day after tomorrow ]
      [ Pittsburgh --- http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/                 ]

    • Herb Johnson
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 3, 2008
        Thanks for the general hamfest report. Surprisingly, I don't see many
        such reports on the Web. Also, of course, thanks from me for hosting a
        vintage computer exhibit at the hamfest. And congrats for scoring some
        ancient computing items at the hamfest! I'm sorry I could not make it
        worth my while, at $100 in gas alone plus time, it's a tough call. But
        you've made the case to do something next year!

        Herb Johnson
        retrotechnology.com