Re: [midatlanticretro] TI99/4a Stuff I'm getting

  • Joe Giliberti
    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 2, 2008
      From what I read on one of its sites, the RS232c module supplies two serial ports and one parallel port, and is required for the connection of a printer.

      Joe

      On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 1:26 PM, Jim Scheef <jscheef@...> wrote:

      Joe,

      RS-232 is serial protocol so you would need a serial printer to use that interface. Doesn't the TI have a parallel port on the system/keyboard unit?

      A little research will find a lot of information on the 99/4a. The TI-99 was a pivotal machine in the early home computer industry and would make a fine exhibit for VCF East. The machine's place in history comes not from what the machine can do but from what it did to TI and the rest of the home computer market at the time. TI thought they could make a proprietary machine and make lots of money by keeping the software market to themselves. Dig into the history and you'll find a lot of interesting stuff including a third-party market that developed in spite of TI.

      Jim

      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 2, 2008
        Jim Scheef wrote:
        > Joe,
        >
        > RS-232 is serial protocol so you would need a serial printer to use
        > that interface. Doesn't the TI have a parallel port on the
        > system/keyboard unit?
        >
        > A little research will find a lot of information on the 99/4a. The
        > TI-99 was a pivotal machine in the early home computer industry and
        > would make a fine exhibit for VCF East. The machine's place in history
        > comes not from what the machine can do but from what it did to TI and
        > the rest of the home computer market at the time. TI thought they
        > could make a proprietary machine and make lots of money by keeping the
        > software market to themselves. Dig into the history and you'll find a
        > lot of interesting stuff including a third-party market that developed
        > in spite of TI.

        Some other TI-99/4A (and related systems) sites:
        http://www.ti99ers.org/
        http://www.99er.net/
        http://www.mainbyte.com/ti99/

        Enjoy!

        Cheers,

        Bryan

      • Bill Degnan
        Message 3 of 26 , Jun 2, 2008
          I can't believe an expansion unit is only $7

          > > RS-232 is serial protocol so you would need a serial printer to use
          > > that interface. Doesn't the TI have a parallel port on the
          > > system/keyboard unit?
          > >
          > > A little research will find a lot of information on the 99/4a. The
          > > TI-99 was a pivotal machine in the early home computer industry and
          > > would make a fine exhibit for VCF East. The machine's place in history
          > > comes not from what the machine can do but from what it did to TI and
          > > the rest of the home computer market at the time. TI thought they
          > > could make a proprietary machine and make lots of money by keeping the
          > > software market to themselves. Dig into the history and you'll find a
          > > lot of interesting stuff including a third-party market that developed
          > > in spite of TI.

          > Some other TI-99/4A (and related systems) sites:
          > http://www.ti99ers.org/
          > http://www.99er.net/
          > http://www.mainbyte.com/ti99/
          >
          > Enjoy!
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > Bryan

        • Joe Giliberti
          Message 4 of 26 , Jun 2, 2008
            Completed item as of yesterday:

            http://tinyurl.com/5q7ca8

            On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 3:45 PM, Bill Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

            I can't believe an expansion unit is only $7

            > > RS-232 is serial protocol so you would need a serial printer to use
            > > that interface. Doesn't the TI have a parallel port on the
            > > system/keyboard unit?
            > >
            > > A little research will find a lot of information on the 99/4a. The
            > > TI-99 was a pivotal machine in the early home computer industry and
            > > would make a fine exhibit for VCF East. The machine's place in history
            > > comes not from what the machine can do but from what it did to TI and
            > > the rest of the home computer market at the time. TI thought they
            > > could make a proprietary machine and make lots of money by keeping the
            > > software market to themselves. Dig into the history and you'll find a
            > > lot of interesting stuff including a third-party market that developed
            > > in spite of TI.

            > Some other TI-99/4A (and related systems) sites:
            > http://www.ti99ers.org/
            > http://www.99er.net/
            > http://www.mainbyte.com/ti99/
            >
            > Enjoy!
            >
            > Cheers,
            >
            > Bryan

          • Kelly Leavitt
            Message 5 of 26 , Jun 2, 2008
              Then it will probably work with most older parallel printers. I have several you are welcome to. I probably also have serial printers that would work. Problem is, I am lazy and slow, and you'd have to convince me to ship one to you. You could always come get one, but Wantage NJ is a long drive for most folks.

              Also have a look at:
              http://home.wanadoo.nl/fgkaal/software.html#ti99print

              Kelly

              Message 6 of 26 , Jun 2, 2008
                Yeah, but it's EMPTY. Without any of the expansion cards, it's a boat
                anchor.

                >>> http://www.99er.net/
                >>> http://www.mainbyte.com/ti99/
                >>>
                >>> Enjoy!
                >>>
                >>> Cheers,
                >>>
                >>> Bryan

                Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                The Dixie Lion Jazz Band http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/dixie.html
                The B9 Robot Builders Club B9-0014 http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/B9/
              • Joe Giliberti
                Message 7 of 26 , Jun 2, 2008
                  Would a laser printer work, or would such a printer need to be dot matrix? I know of a place where I could get an old HP laserjet II for nothing.

                  Joe

                  >>> http://www.99er.net/
                  >>> http://www.mainbyte.com/ti99/
                  >>>
                  >>> Enjoy!
                  >>>
                  >>> Cheers,
                  >>>
                  >>> Bryan

                • Bryan Pope
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jun 2, 2008
                    Mike Loewen wrote:
                    > Yeah, but it's EMPTY. Without any of the expansion cards, it's a boat
                    > anchor.

                    And speaking of that where is the "firehose"? This is the long flat
                    heavy cable that connects to the TI-99/4A... Without that you don't
                    even have the chain that holds said anchor.. ;)

                    Cheers,

                    Bryan

                    Message 9 of 26 , Jun 2, 2008
                      Joe Giliberti wrote:
                      > Would a laser printer work, or would such a printer need to be dot
                      > matrix? I know of a place where I could get an old HP laserjet II for
                      > nothing.

                      That would depend on the *software*.. ie if the application(s) you want
                      to use have HP Laserjet "drivers"...

                      Cheers,

                      Bryan

                      P.S. Best place to ask that would be the TI-99/4A email list...

                    • Joe Giliberti
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jun 2, 2008
                        Also, can anyone tell me what this HAMSoft module for the PEB does? The owner says it has to do with HAM radio, but not much more than that.

                        Message 11 of 26 , Jun 2, 2008
                          Joe Giliberti wrote:
                          > Also, can anyone tell me what this HAMSoft module for the PEB does?
                          > The owner says it has to do with HAM radio, but not much more than that.

                          It could be to decode data signals or to help you with antennas or
                          something like that..

                          Cheers,

                          Bryan

                        • Mason Taube
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jun 2, 2008
                            the only one i knew of would encode/decode morse code when hooked up to a transceiver. not sure what else it did.

                            Also, can anyone tell me what this HAMSoft module for the PEB does? The owner says it has to do with HAM radio, but not much more than that.

                            .

                          • Kelly Leavitt
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jun 2, 2008
                              Google is your friend:
                              http://tinyurl.com/6kl27c

                              Manual here: http://www.hamradiomanuals.com/view_manual.php?m=124

                              My guess is that it is for RTTY. Yep, RTTY: http://www.aa5au.com/w2jgr.html

                              Kelly
                              kb2syd

                              Message 14 of 26 , Jun 2, 2008
                                Bill,

                                Sometimes there are bargains on eBay. Someone outbid me on an HP Integral and got it for only $56 because I could not rebid in time.

                                Jim

                                href="mailto:Starbase89@...">Starbase89@...>

                                <*> Your email settings:
                                    Individual Email | Traditional

                                <*> To change settings online go to:
                                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                                <*> To change settings via email:

                                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                              • Joe Giliberti
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jun 2, 2008
                                  Well everything seems to work thus far, save for the joysticks. They have no "up" function. Has color monitor, external FDD, PEB with internal FDD, controller, RS232, 32k, and some other card, speech synth, cassette recorder, a "Compact expansion system" sidecar, and lots of books and cartridges, as well as some disks and cassettes
                                  He even threw in a compact computer desk.

                                  Joe

                                • schwepes@moog.netaxs.com
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jun 3, 2008
                                    Try the dread standard eight pin such as an Epson109. Mine still works.
                                    bs