Progress on 11/20 exhibit; other exhibit news

  • Herb Johnson
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 2, 2008
      * PDP 11/20 exhibit

      I visited MARCH on June 1st to review the 11/20 and measure it up for
      some plexiglass. The plan is to cover the front panel to keep visitor
      from messing with the switches.

      I had planned to open the top and plexiglass it, to show the boards or
      at least the edges of the boards. However the "top" shows only a
      backplane of wires and pins. This is neither informative nor
      interesting, so we will keep it closed. Evan and I discussed options,
      with mirrors to show the *bottom* of the 11 to see the boards; we
      decided that would be difficult and not physically safe to implement.

      Considering it later, I believe I will print the photograph of the
      boards's colorful edge tabs as full size, and put IT on top of the
      '11. That will "display" them with no fuss. I'll discuss how I'll
      print it shortly.

      In other news, David Gesswein is creating new videos of his Teletype
      in operation, in response to discussions with me about displaying his
      videos with the 11/20. David is a PDP-8 owner with an extensive Web
      site; he's exhibited at VCF-East a number of times. His site is
      informative and has impressive content of information and photos and
      videos - it's USEFUL and interesting. The Teletype stuff and
      front-panel operation of his '8 are close enough to how MARCH's 11/20
      would operate. So I will see about showing those videos as part of the
      11/20 exhibit.

      David's site is at http://www.pdp8.net/

      A reasonable way to exhibit these videos, is to have an old laptop as
      part of the exhibit and use a local Web page to select the videos.
      Currently the videos are in Real Media and .AVI format. I presume I
      can convert them to whatever is needed to run on whatever laptop I
      come up with. Seeing as old laptops are worth zero, I'm not worried
      about acquiring one or losing one to some visitor. It will require an
      AC outlet for use.

      My 11/20 Web page will be updated when work on these videos is
      completed and they are available.

      http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/

      * PDP-8 exhibit in MARCH display room

      I saw the PDP-8 on exhibit in the MARCH room. It looks good, and there
      are a few materials on display with it. I confirmed the "Bendix" drum
      plotter has very similar if not identical electronics to my Calcomp
      plotter.

      * Apple 128K Mac returned and improved

      I repaired the MARCH Mac 128K, which had RAM memory failures. I simply
      replaced the motherboard with another 128K from MARCH. Also I pulled
      the 400K drive from that spare Mac, to create an external 400K floppy,
      which is now part of the MARCH Mac display system. It's a lot easier
      to operate that Mac with two floppy drives as, of course, it has no
      hard drive. Evan said he'd like to find an old Apple mouse pad, to use
      with the 128K mouse.

      * Printing signs with InfoAge printer

      Evan showed me the quality prints available from the new InfoAge HP
      DesignJet 500 printer. This produces near-photo quality results on
      poster sized paper, including photo-grade paper. InfoAge has already
      used it for their exhibits, and Evan has produced posters for a
      Mauchley/Camp Evans display. I look forward to using it. I assume
      anyone else interested would talk to Evan about it.

      Herb Johnson
      retrotechnology.com

      Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
    • Dan Roganti
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 2, 2008

        Herb Johnson wrote:
        * PDP 11/20 exhibit

        I visited MARCH on June 1st to review the 11/20 and measure it up for
        some plexiglass. The plan is to cover the front panel to keep visitor
        from messing with the switches.

        Herb,

        Something that always appealing at a computer museum, I think, is having one of these minicomputer circuit cards mounted in a glass display (a spare board that is). There's nothing more interesting to visitors that getting to see the actual circuitry up front and in person (even though it's not running). And maybe with a little placard with a short description of how many transistors were possible or a speed comparison of the circuit card.

        =Dan
        [ Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow ]
        [ Pittsburgh --- http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/                 ]

      • Herb Johnson
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 3, 2008
          Herb,

          Something that always appealing at a computer museum, I think, is
          having one of these minicomputer circuit cards mounted in a glass
          display (a spare board that is). There's nothing more interesting to
          visitors that getting to see the actual circuitry up front and in
          person (even though it's not running). And maybe with a little placard
          with a short description of how many transistors were possible or a
          speed comparison of the circuit card.

          =Dan

          We'll have a PDP-11 type card as part of the exhibit, for visitors to
          handle. MARCH has - or had - some loose cards, I could not find them
          last Sunday even with Evan's help. Does anyone familar with the MARCH
          collection, know what happened to one of their boxes of DEC computer
          cards? But I'll find a card, or supply a card, for show and tell.
          Thanks for the suggestion.

          Herb JOhnson
          retrotechnology.com
        • Herb Johnson
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 10 9:23 AM
            http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/

            The PDP-11 Web page linked above, in its "introduction", now has two
            links to PROTOTYPE POSTERS for the PDP-11 exhibit. I welcome comments,
            but these are examples of FORMAT and general layout - the content is
            rough and may change.

            The posters are several megabyte Word files, due to embedded large
            image files, and of course for best printing. The general format, with
            header and footer and fonts and use of Word, are similar to methods
            used by Evan and by InfoAge to make posters. They will be printed by
            InfoAge with their large inkjet printer. All this was previously
            reported and discussed in this list, and/or with the MARCH Board.

            For any detailed comments to me, please contact me directly via email,
            not via the MARCH Mail list. Use the email addresses below. I may miss
            your MARCH list post, there is just too much traffic here for me to
            keep up. I have much work to do before Sept.

            Herb Johnson
            retrotechnology.com

            Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
            "Herb's Stuff": old Mac, CP/M, 8-inch floppy drives
            S-100 IMSAI Altair computers & docs by "Dr. S-100"
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 18 4:30 AM
              Herb,
              Just a quick note...I found the octal listing for the bootstrap. Once
              loaded, a person can use to load a teletype tape, etc. I will be testing
              when time permits. I have to start getting serious about my VCF exhibits too!
              Bill
            • Herb Johnson
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 18 6:30 AM
                "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

                > Herb,
                > Just a quick note...I found the octal listing for the bootstrap. Once
                > loaded, a person can use to load a teletype tape, etc. I will be
                testing
                > when time permits. I have to start getting serious about my VCF
                exhibits too!
                > Bill

                Good work. How about writing up a note about the bootstrap process?
                I'll add it to the 11/20 Web page. For those not familiar with the
                process, a typical bootstrap for 1960's-70's minicomputers was:

                hand-load a short papertape reader program via front panel;
                load a paper tape with a "bootstrap" program, like a larger loader;
                that loader may load a driver to read a specific part of a hard drive
                --or a section of a boot floppy disk
                --or a section from a cassette or 7/9 track tape
                ...which loads in an operating system for that device.

                Herb Johnson
                retrotechnology.com
              • Herb Johnson
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 27 3:50 PM
                  http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/

                  The PDP-11/20 Web page above, now starts with a section on the
                  upcoming MARCH exhibit of the 11/20. In that section are links to
                  three HTML documents which are derived from the Word files for the
                  three MARCH 11/20 posters in progress.

                  I'd like comments and certainly corrections to these posters. (Don't
                  fuss about minor layout issues with the HTML documents, they are not
                  exactly like the .DOC files.) These are works in progress but time is
                  short. The three posters cover the NBS scanner work of this 11/20;
                  notes on the front panel and on paper tape; and some background about
                  "minicomputers" in general.

                  I need to work now on the videos from David Gesswein, of his front
                  panel and his use of Teletypes, which I hope to display as videos with
                  the exhibit. Those videos have been reduced in size and so are more
                  accessable now: links are buried on the Web page, under the title "How
                  was the 11/20 operated?". I will add a link from the "exhibit"
                  section, my bad. Also I hope to have some DEC artifacts to show with
                  the 11/20.

                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 27 6:16 PM
                    At 10:50 PM 7/27/2008 +0000, you wrote:
                    >http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/
                    >
                    >The PDP-11/20 Web page above, now starts with a section on the
                    >upcoming MARCH exhibit of the 11/20. In that section are links to
                    >three HTML documents which are derived from the Word files for the
                    >three MARCH 11/20 posters in progress.
                    >
                    >I'd like comments and certainly corrections to these posters.

                    Herb,
                    The whole collection of pages and info is very well done, so far the best
                    documentation of any MARCH "unit" to date. If you want to send me the
                    final print version PDFs so I can look at it from a printer's eye, let me know.

                    Bill

                    p.s. Do we have a similar write-up of the GRABBE collection? Do we have
                    plans to actually exhibit this? I kind of feel like it has been moth
                    balled. I admit, it did not occur to me when planning InfoAge Launch. Is
                    this even in MARCH's perview anyway?
                  • Herb Johnson
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 28 5:56 PM
                      "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

                      > Herb,
                      > The whole collection of pages and info is very well done, so far the
                      best
                      > documentation of any MARCH "unit" to date. If you want to send me the
                      > final print version PDFs so I can look at it from a printer's eye,
                      let me know.

                      > Bill

                      Thanks for the compliments. Look closely at the content if you please,
                      as I now work on content. After some printing tests, I'll find out how
                      well they work as printed posters.

                      Everything I've done is on the PDP-11 Web page. Look for links there
                      to the documents and files from which the posters will be printed.
                      (From the Web page, I primarily show the posters as HTML files for
                      casual access and content review: they are much smaller files than the
                      poster Word files.)

                      Evan is printing the posters, at InfoAge, with InfoAge equipment, with
                      which he is familiar. It's 60 miles from me, so that suits me fine. So
                      talk to Evan about final versions; talk to me about content.

                      Herb Johnson
                      retrotechnology.com
                    • Herb Johnson
                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 1, 2008
                        http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/

                        The PDP-11/20 Web home page above, now starts with a section on the
                        upcoming MARCH exhibit of the 11/20. In that section I now link to a
                        new Web page which is a "simulation" of the *actual MARCH exhibit*.

                        http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/PDP_11_exhibit_1.htm

                        (This link may change but the home page will be stable and always
                        provide a link.) This page shows represeentations of the PDP-11/20,
                        the posters, videos, and other artifacts to be exhibited. The images
                        on that page link to full-text versions and images and videos which
                        will be exhibited. (The large DOC files and image files of the posters
                        are replaced with smaller HTML documents.)

                        I want to thank David Gesswein, for loans of a PDP-11 card and a PDP-8
                        original paper tape. He's also donated two copies of that paper tape,
                        for the public to "examine". The card and original tape will be housed
                        in plastic.

                        To those who say "I can't wait to see the exhibit", *look at it now*.
                        Don't wait! I can fix it now, not later! Once again, PLEASE please
                        review these documents. Contact me for changes, corrections, comments.
                        I've had some good feedback already and have made changes. Thank you.

                        I do not anticipate making major changes or additions. There is not
                        enough time left. There is still work to do! But I can correct text
                        and manipulate images and so forth. Ultimately Evan will print these
                        posters and he'll be reluctant to reprint them!

                        Herb Johnson
                        retrotechnology.com

                        Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
                        "Herb's Stuff": old Mac, CP/M, 8-inch floppy drives
                        S-100 IMSAI Altair computers & docs by "Dr. S-100"
                      • Mike Loewen
                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 1, 2008
                          Are any of you guys into Arcnet? During a rescue today, I acquired a
                          pile of ISA Arcnet cards, hubs and power supplies. If anyone is
                          interested, drop me a note and I'll let you know exactly what I have. I
                          can bring the lot along to VCF East, next month.

                          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                        • Evan
                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 1, 2008
                            I never heard of that. Educate us.

                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 1, 2008
                              <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARCNET>

                              Very interesting. ARCNET is retro... but still in use.

                              73 de Ray

                              On Aug 1, 2008, at 8:58 PM, Evan wrote:

                              > I never heard of that. Educate us.

                            • Mike Loewen
                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 3, 2008
                                On Fri, 1 Aug 2008, Mike Loewen wrote:

                                > Are any of you guys into Arcnet? During a rescue today, I acquired a
                                > pile of ISA Arcnet cards, hubs and power supplies. If anyone is
                                > interested, drop me a note and I'll let you know exactly what I have. I
                                > can bring the lot along to VCF East, next month.

                                So, no interest in the ARCNET stuff? Next step is to offer to the
                                Classic Computers list. Here's what I have:

                                Manuals:

                                Tiara Lancard/A * PC
                                ARCNET User's Manual for CN008AH and CN008TH
                                Configuration Guide for the SMC ARCNET-PC130 Network Controller
                                Board
                                CNet 120A ARCNET User's Manual (qty 4)

                                Diskette: ARCNET 5.25" MEGA Diskette #75-00790-3000

                                Cards (8-bit ISA):

                                SMC ARCNET-PC130 (qty 5)
                                Tiara Lancard/A * PC (qty 12)
                                CNet ARCNET 120A (qty 1)

                                Active Hubs:

                                Addtron ARCNET Active Hub, 8-port, ARC800ST (qty 5)
                                CNet Arcnet HUB 008AH, 8-port (qty 2)
                                (The Addtron and CNet hubs have an internal power supply and take
                                a standard power cord)
                                Tiara ARCNET LanHub, 8-port (qty 2), Power Supplies (qty 3)
                                SMC ARCNET Active Hub, 8-port (qty 15), Power Supplies (qty 9)

                                Cables: RG-62A/U (qty 5)

                                Again, if anyone has any use for this stuff, I can bring it to VCF
                                East. If not, I'll offer it to the CCtalk list.

                                Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                              • jack99rubin
                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
                                  > Are any of you guys into Arcnet? During a rescue today, I
                                  acquired a
                                  > pile of ISA Arcnet cards, hubs and power supplies. If anyone is
                                  > interested, drop me a note and I'll let you know exactly what I
                                  have. I
                                  > can bring the lot along to VCF East, next month.
                                  >

                                  > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

                                  Mike,

                                  I'd be interested in a couple active hubs and a card or two. One of
                                  my (future) projects is getting CP/NET working again. This was a
                                  Digital Research protocol that ran over ARCnet, so having the
                                  physical layer stuff will be helpful. My system is S100 based but
                                  having a PC card will allow an emulator connection as well. Should be
                                  fun.

                                  I won't be able to attend VCF this year but hopefully it shouldn't be
                                  too difficult to either ship a small package or hang on to the stuff
                                  until I get east later in the year.

                                  Thanks,
                                  Jack

                                  Thanks,
                                  Jack
                                • Herb Johnson
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Aug 4, 2008
                                    http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/

                                    The page and poster documents were improved with better images of the
                                    interior boards of the 11/20 and of the front panel. During a visit to
                                    InfoAge this weekend, I tagged the boxes of the Greenough collection
                                    and put the rough inventory list as a document into some of the boxes.
                                    A better picture of all the boxes is also on the Web page. Minor work
                                    of this sort may continue, I don't anticipate major changes to the
                                    posters and exhibit.

                                    Herb Johnson
                                    retrotechnology.com
                                  • Herb Johnson
                                      been improved and updated. Major development work is now completed.
                                      Some work remains.

                                      The 11/20 Web page at

                                      http://retrotechnology.com/pdp11/index.html

                                      ..now has an index, which is followed by the current status of the
                                      exhibit, before the Introduction. A large portion of inventory
                                      information has been transferred to another Web page. These changes
                                      should help in navigation.

                                      The Virtual Exhibit Web page at:

                                      http://retrotechnology.com/pdp11/PDP_11_exhibit_1.htm

                                      ...now includes a Web page with links to the videos for the exhibit.
                                      This page shows all the content and the rough arrangement of the
                                      physical exhibit, as images. Posters are shown as equivalent HTML
                                      documents. Links from the photos go to documents, images and now
                                      videos. More information is on the 11/20 Web page.

                                      Since we are now at about 30 days before the MARCH museum and VCF-E
                                      show, I now consider major development of the 11/20 exhibit CLOSED. No
                                      major changes will be made. This is a good opportunity to review the
                                      Virtual exhibit to consider any MINOR changes.

                                      Remaining work: 1) some DEC books for the exhibit. 2) set up a
                                      computer to show the videos. 3) a MARCH-owned DEC card for the
                                      exhibit, if available. 4) a Lexan cover for the 11/20 front panel. 5)
                                      production of the posters and a full-sized image of the 11/20 boards
                                      in place. 6) physical work on the exhibit and artifacts, just before
                                      the show.

                                      One bit of explanation. Because the 11/20 has its backplane in the top
                                      of the case, with the boards hanging DOWN, we can't show the interior
                                      of the system. So I'll ask Evan to print a full-sized photo of the
                                      cards and THAT will be displayed on TOP of the system.

                                      Note to Evan: DOC files for the posters and full size images are
                                      available from another section of my Web site. Check the 11/20 Web
                                      page "status" section or previous emails from me for links.

                                      Herb Johnson
                                      retrotechnology.com
                                    • Ian King
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Aug 15, 2008
                                        Well, sorry, I won't be in the area on Sunday.... :-)

                                        But I did want to ask a question that we were batting around today. We
                                        were commenting on what sorts of machines you see in people's individual
                                        collections - for instance, I have a VAX 6000-660, but not an 11/780 in
                                        large part because the latter machine pretty much requires three-phase
                                        power. But what we were curious about was: does anyone in the
                                        hobbyist/collector community have an IBM 360? I knew a guy who was
                                        proud of his 1401, and I've seen restoration stories about various other
                                        systems, but not a 360.

                                        Thoughts? Thanks -- Ian

                                        On Fri, 2008-08-15 at 21:17 -0400, Evan wrote:
                                        > I'll be at the museum around noon this Sunday and could use 2 or 3
                                        > helpers. We are * very close * to being able to set up computers for
                                        > exhibiting! Just have to move a few more small-ish things. (I know
                                        > I've been saying that for months, but now it's pretty much true...)

                                      • Joe Giliberti
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Aug 16, 2008
                                          Me and possibly Jeff F./Rose should be available tomorrow. What time? 11a?

                                          Joe

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Aug 16, 2008
                                            Message
                                            No, 12.  Better chance of me showing up on time that way!

                                            Message 21 of 21 , Aug 25, 2008
                                              http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/

                                              As Evan posted, I delivered to MARCH the artifacts for the PDP-11/20
                                              exhibit. The Sony VAIO & Linux system was delivered, to show the
                                              videos produced by David Gesswein, who has also loaned MARCH a PDP-11
                                              card and original paper tape.

                                              Additionally, today I have received two PDP-11 paperback "handbooks"
                                              from Paul Popelka. He is a PDP-11 owner who contacted MARCH recently.
                                              The 1971 PDP-11 Processor Handbook includes the 11/20, that's an
                                              important edition. The Peripherals Handbook from 1973 is also
                                              appropriate to the 1970 PDP-11/20 on display. I'll confirm with him
                                              these are donations, not loans.

                                              Also placed with the exhibit, was a 1975 DEC "interfaces handbook"
                                              which was originally donated with other books to MARCH by Joe Giliberti.

                                              It was common in the 60's and 70's to offer minicomputer documentation
                                              in paperback form. These two books were essential to programmers and
                                              designers who used the PDP-11. I'm glad MARCH is able to exhibit
                                              these. While fragile after almost 40 years, and must be handled with
                                              care, now they can be read and enjoyed by visitors to the Exhibit.

                                              Herb Johnson
                                              retrotechnology.com