Re: [midatlanticretro] TI99/4a Stuff I'm getting

  • Mike Loewen
    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 2, 2008
      On Mon, 2 Jun 2008, Jim Scheef wrote:

      > A little research will find a lot of information on the 99/4a. The TI-99
      > was a pivotal machine in the early home computer industry and would make
      > a fine exhibit for VCF East. The machine's place in history comes not
      > from what the machine can do but from what it did to TI and the rest of
      > the home computer market at the time. TI thought they could make a
      > proprietary machine and make lots of money by keeping the software
      > market to themselves. Dig into the history and you'll find a lot of
      > interesting stuff including a third-party market that developed in spite
      > of TI.

      Jim:

      Didn't you have a complete TI99/4A system with expansion box at the
      Fall swap meet we had in Delaware, year before last? Did you finally find
      someone who wanted it?

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
    • Joe Giliberti
      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 2, 2008
        From what I read on one of its sites, the RS232c module supplies two serial ports and one parallel port, and is required for the connection of a printer.

        Joe

        On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 1:26 PM, Jim Scheef <jscheef@...> wrote:

        Joe,

        RS-232 is serial protocol so you would need a serial printer to use that interface. Doesn't the TI have a parallel port on the system/keyboard unit?

        Message 3 of 26 , Jun 2, 2008
          Jim Scheef wrote:
          > Joe,
          >
          > RS-232 is serial protocol so you would need a serial printer to use
          > that interface. Doesn't the TI have a parallel port on the
          > system/keyboard unit?
          >
          > A little research will find a lot of information on the 99/4a. The
          > TI-99 was a pivotal machine in the early home computer industry and
          > would make a fine exhibit for VCF East. The machine's place in history
          > comes not from what the machine can do but from what it did to TI and
          > the rest of the home computer market at the time. TI thought they
          > could make a proprietary machine and make lots of money by keeping the
          > software market to themselves. Dig into the history and you'll find a
          > lot of interesting stuff including a third-party market that developed
          > in spite of TI.

          Some other TI-99/4A (and related systems) sites:
          http://www.ti99ers.org/
          http://www.99er.net/
          http://www.mainbyte.com/ti99/

          Enjoy!

          Cheers,

          Bryan

        • Bill Degnan
          Message 4 of 26 , Jun 2, 2008
            I can't believe an expansion unit is only $7

            > > RS-232 is serial protocol so you would need a serial printer to use
            > > that interface. Doesn't the TI have a parallel port on the
            > > system/keyboard unit?
            > >
            > > A little research will find a lot of information on the 99/4a. The
            > > TI-99 was a pivotal machine in the early home computer industry and
            > > would make a fine exhibit for VCF East. The machine's place in history
            > > comes not from what the machine can do but from what it did to TI and
            > > the rest of the home computer market at the time. TI thought they
            > > could make a proprietary machine and make lots of money by keeping the
            > > software market to themselves. Dig into the history and you'll find a
            > > lot of interesting stuff including a third-party market that developed
            > > in spite of TI.

            > Some other TI-99/4A (and related systems) sites:
            > http://www.ti99ers.org/
            > http://www.99er.net/
            > http://www.mainbyte.com/ti99/
            >
            > Enjoy!
            >
            > Cheers,
            >
            > Bryan

          • Joe Giliberti
            Message 5 of 26 , Jun 2, 2008
              Completed item as of yesterday:

              http://tinyurl.com/5q7ca8

              On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 3:45 PM, Bill Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

              I can't believe an expansion unit is only $7

              > > RS-232 is serial protocol so you would need a serial printer to use
              > > that interface. Doesn't the TI have a parallel port on the
              > > system/keyboard unit?
              > >
              > > A little research will find a lot of information on the 99/4a. The
              > > TI-99 was a pivotal machine in the early home computer industry and
              > > would make a fine exhibit for VCF East. The machine's place in history
              > > comes not from what the machine can do but from what it did to TI and
              > > the rest of the home computer market at the time. TI thought they
              > > could make a proprietary machine and make lots of money by keeping the
              > > software market to themselves. Dig into the history and you'll find a
              > > lot of interesting stuff including a third-party market that developed
              > > in spite of TI.

              > Some other TI-99/4A (and related systems) sites:
              > http://www.ti99ers.org/
              > http://www.99er.net/
              > http://www.mainbyte.com/ti99/
              >
              > Enjoy!
              >
              > Cheers,
              >
              > Bryan

            • Kelly Leavitt
              Message 6 of 26 , Jun 2, 2008
                Then it will probably work with most older parallel printers. I have several you are welcome to. I probably also have serial printers that would work. Problem is, I am lazy and slow, and you'd have to convince me to ship one to you. You could always come get one, but Wantage NJ is a long drive for most folks.

                Also have a look at:
                http://home.wanadoo.nl/fgkaal/software.html#ti99print

                Kelly

                Message 7 of 26 , Jun 2, 2008
                  Yeah, but it's EMPTY. Without any of the expansion cards, it's a boat
                  anchor.

                  >>> http://www.99er.net/
                  >>> http://www.mainbyte.com/ti99/
                  >>>
                  >>> Enjoy!
                  >>>
                  >>> Cheers,
                  >>>
                  >>> Bryan

                  Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                  The Dixie Lion Jazz Band http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/dixie.html
                  The B9 Robot Builders Club B9-0014 http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/B9/
                • Joe Giliberti
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jun 2, 2008
                    Would a laser printer work, or would such a printer need to be dot matrix? I know of a place where I could get an old HP laserjet II for nothing.

                    Joe

                    >>> http://www.99er.net/
                    >>> http://www.mainbyte.com/ti99/
                    >>>
                    >>> Enjoy!
                    >>>
                    >>> Cheers,
                    >>>
                    >>> Bryan

                  • Bryan Pope
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jun 2, 2008
                      Mike Loewen wrote:
                      > Yeah, but it's EMPTY. Without any of the expansion cards, it's a boat
                      > anchor.

                      And speaking of that where is the "firehose"? This is the long flat
                      heavy cable that connects to the TI-99/4A... Without that you don't
                      even have the chain that holds said anchor.. ;)

                      Cheers,

                      Bryan

                      Message 10 of 26 , Jun 2, 2008
                        Joe Giliberti wrote:
                        > Would a laser printer work, or would such a printer need to be dot
                        > matrix? I know of a place where I could get an old HP laserjet II for
                        > nothing.

                        That would depend on the *software*.. ie if the application(s) you want
                        to use have HP Laserjet "drivers"...

                        Cheers,

                        Bryan

                        P.S. Best place to ask that would be the TI-99/4A email list...

                      • Joe Giliberti
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jun 2, 2008
                          Also, can anyone tell me what this HAMSoft module for the PEB does? The owner says it has to do with HAM radio, but not much more than that.

                          Message 12 of 26 , Jun 2, 2008
                            Joe Giliberti wrote:
                            > Also, can anyone tell me what this HAMSoft module for the PEB does?
                            > The owner says it has to do with HAM radio, but not much more than that.

                            It could be to decode data signals or to help you with antennas or
                            something like that..

                            Cheers,

                            Bryan

                          • Mason Taube
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jun 2, 2008
                              the only one i knew of would encode/decode morse code when hooked up to a transceiver. not sure what else it did.

                              Also, can anyone tell me what this HAMSoft module for the PEB does? The owner says it has to do with HAM radio, but not much more than that.

                              .

                            • Kelly Leavitt
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jun 2, 2008
                                Google is your friend:
                                http://tinyurl.com/6kl27c

                                Manual here: http://www.hamradiomanuals.com/view_manual.php?m=124

                                My guess is that it is for RTTY. Yep, RTTY: http://www.aa5au.com/w2jgr.html

                                Kelly
                                kb2syd

                                Message 15 of 26 , Jun 2, 2008
                                  Bill,

                                  Sometimes there are bargains on eBay. Someone outbid me on an HP Integral and got it for only $56 because I could not rebid in time.

                                  Jim

                                  href="mailto:Starbase89@...">Starbase89@...>

                                  <*> Your email settings:
                                      Individual Email | Traditional

                                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                                      (Yahoo! ID required)

                                  <*> To change settings via email:

                                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                • Joe Giliberti
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jun 2, 2008
                                    Well everything seems to work thus far, save for the joysticks. They have no "up" function. Has color monitor, external FDD, PEB with internal FDD, controller, RS232, 32k, and some other card, speech synth, cassette recorder, a "Compact expansion system" sidecar, and lots of books and cartridges, as well as some disks and cassettes
                                    He even threw in a compact computer desk.

                                    Joe

                                  • schwepes@moog.netaxs.com
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jun 3, 2008
                                      Try the dread standard eight pin such as an Epson109. Mine still works.
                                      bs