TI99/4a Stuff I'm getting

  • Joe Giliberti
    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 1, 2008
      Trading it for an older palm handheld I have. Includes the system with all hookups, monitor, expansion box, floppy disk drive, joysticks, memory expander box, speech synthesizer, hamsoft ham radio module, and many disks/cartridges/books for assembly language, forth, logo, fortran, basic, and I think he may have said pascal. As I understand it, the Hamsoft module may actually be somewhat collectible.

      Sound like a good deal?

      Joe

                    Message 9 of 26 , Jun 2, 2008
                      Joe,

                      RS-232 is serial protocol so you would need a serial printer to use that interface. Doesn't the TI have a parallel port on the system/keyboard unit?

                      A little research will find a lot of information on the 99/4a. The TI-99 was a pivotal machine in the early home computer industry and would make a fine exhibit for VCF East. The machine's place in history comes not from what the machine can do but from what it did to TI and the rest of the home computer market at the time. TI thought they could make a proprietary machine and make lots of money by keeping the software market to themselves. Dig into the history and you'll find a lot of interesting stuff including a third-party market that developed in spite of TI.

                      Jim

                      Message 10 of 26 , Jun 2, 2008
                        On Mon, 2 Jun 2008, Jim Scheef wrote:

                        > A little research will find a lot of information on the 99/4a. The TI-99
                        > was a pivotal machine in the early home computer industry and would make
                        > a fine exhibit for VCF East. The machine's place in history comes not
                        > from what the machine can do but from what it did to TI and the rest of
                        > the home computer market at the time. TI thought they could make a
                        > proprietary machine and make lots of money by keeping the software
                        > market to themselves. Dig into the history and you'll find a lot of
                        > interesting stuff including a third-party market that developed in spite
                        > of TI.

                        Jim:

                        Didn't you have a complete TI99/4A system with expansion box at the
                        Fall swap meet we had in Delaware, year before last? Did you finally find
                        someone who wanted it?

                        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                      • Joe Giliberti

                          Message 12 of 26 , Jun 2, 2008
                            Jim Scheef wrote:
                            > Joe,
                            >
                            > RS-232 is serial protocol so you would need a serial printer to use
                            > that interface. Doesn't the TI have a parallel port on the
                            > system/keyboard unit?
                            >
                            > A little research will find a lot of information on the 99/4a. The
                            > TI-99 was a pivotal machine in the early home computer industry and
                            > would make a fine exhibit for VCF East. The machine's place in history
                            > comes not from what the machine can do but from what it did to TI and
                            > the rest of the home computer market at the time. TI thought they
                            > could make a proprietary machine and make lots of money by keeping the
                            > software market to themselves. Dig into the history and you'll find a
                            > lot of interesting stuff including a third-party market that developed
                            > in spite of TI.

                            Some other TI-99/4A (and related systems) sites:
                            http://www.ti99ers.org/
                            http://www.99er.net/
                            http://www.mainbyte.com/ti99/

                            Enjoy!

                            Cheers,

                            Bryan

                          • Bill Degnan
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jun 2, 2008
                              I can't believe an expansion unit is only $7

                              > > RS-232 is serial protocol so you would need a serial printer to use
                              > > that interface. Doesn't the TI have a parallel port on the
                              > > system/keyboard unit?
                              > >
                              > > A little research will find a lot of information on the 99/4a. The
                              > > TI-99 was a pivotal machine in the early home computer industry and
                              > > would make a fine exhibit for VCF East. The machine's place in history
                              > > comes not from what the machine can do but from what it did to TI and
                              > > the rest of the home computer market at the time. TI thought they
                              > > could make a proprietary machine and make lots of money by keeping the
                              > > software market to themselves. Dig into the history and you'll find a
                              > > lot of interesting stuff including a third-party market that developed
                              > > in spite of TI.

                              > Some other TI-99/4A (and related systems) sites:
                              > http://www.ti99ers.org/
                              > http://www.99er.net/
                              > http://www.mainbyte.com/ti99/
                              >
                              > Enjoy!
                              >
                              > Cheers,
                              >
                              > Bryan

                            • Joe Giliberti
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jun 2, 2008
                                Completed item as of yesterday:

                                http://tinyurl.com/5q7ca8

                                On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 3:45 PM, Bill Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

                                I can't believe an expansion unit is only $7

                                > > RS-232 is serial protocol so you would need a serial printer to use
                                > > that interface. Doesn't the TI have a parallel port on the
                                > > system/keyboard unit?
                                > >
                                > > A little research will find a lot of information on the 99/4a. The
                                > > TI-99 was a pivotal machine in the early home computer industry and
                                > > would make a fine exhibit for VCF East. The machine's place in history
                                > > comes not from what the machine can do but from what it did to TI and
                                > > the rest of the home computer market at the time. TI thought they
                                > > could make a proprietary machine and make lots of money by keeping the
                                > > software market to themselves. Dig into the history and you'll find a
                                > > lot of interesting stuff including a third-party market that developed
                                > > in spite of TI.

                                > Some other TI-99/4A (and related systems) sites:
                                > http://www.ti99ers.org/
                                > http://www.99er.net/
                                > http://www.mainbyte.com/ti99/
                                >
                                > Enjoy!
                                >
                                > Cheers,
                                >
                                > Bryan

                              • Kelly Leavitt
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jun 2, 2008
                                  Then it will probably work with most older parallel printers. I have several you are welcome to. I probably also have serial printers that would work. Problem is, I am lazy and slow, and you'd have to convince me to ship one to you. You could always come get one, but Wantage NJ is a long drive for most folks.

                                  Also have a look at:
                                  http://home.wanadoo.nl/fgkaal/software.html#ti99print

                                  Kelly

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jun 2, 2008
                                    Yeah, but it's EMPTY. Without any of the expansion cards, it's a boat
                                    anchor.

                                    Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                                    The Dixie Lion Jazz Band http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/dixie.html
                                    The B9 Robot Builders Club B9-0014 http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/B9/
                                  • Joe Giliberti
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jun 2, 2008
                                      Would a laser printer work, or would such a printer need to be dot matrix? I know of a place where I could get an old HP laserjet II for nothing.

                                      Joe

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jun 2, 2008
                                        Mike Loewen wrote:
                                        > Yeah, but it's EMPTY. Without any of the expansion cards, it's a boat
                                        > anchor.

                                        And speaking of that where is the "firehose"? This is the long flat
                                        heavy cable that connects to the TI-99/4A... Without that you don't
                                        even have the chain that holds said anchor.. ;)

                                        Cheers,

                                        Bryan

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jun 2, 2008
                                          Joe Giliberti wrote:
                                          > Would a laser printer work, or would such a printer need to be dot
                                          > matrix? I know of a place where I could get an old HP laserjet II for
                                          > nothing.

                                          That would depend on the *software*.. ie if the application(s) you want
                                          to use have HP Laserjet "drivers"...

                                          Cheers,

                                          Bryan

                                          P.S. Best place to ask that would be the TI-99/4A email list...

                                        • Joe Giliberti
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jun 2, 2008
                                            Also, can anyone tell me what this HAMSoft module for the PEB does? The owner says it has to do with HAM radio, but not much more than that.

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jun 2, 2008
                                              Joe Giliberti wrote:
                                              > Also, can anyone tell me what this HAMSoft module for the PEB does?
                                              > The owner says it has to do with HAM radio, but not much more than that.

                                              It could be to decode data signals or to help you with antennas or
                                              something like that..

                                              Cheers,

                                              Bryan

                                            • Mason Taube
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Jun 2, 2008
                                                the only one i knew of would encode/decode morse code when hooked up to a transceiver. not sure what else it did.

                                                Also, can anyone tell me what this HAMSoft module for the PEB does? The owner says it has to do with HAM radio, but not much more than that.

                                                .

                                              • Kelly Leavitt
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Jun 2, 2008
                                                  Google is your friend:
                                                  http://tinyurl.com/6kl27c

                                                  Manual here: http://www.hamradiomanuals.com/view_manual.php?m=124

                                                  My guess is that it is for RTTY. Yep, RTTY: http://www.aa5au.com/w2jgr.html

                                                  Kelly
                                                  kb2syd

                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Jun 2, 2008
                                                    Bill,

                                                    Sometimes there are bargains on eBay. Someone outbid me on an HP Integral and got it for only $56 because I could not rebid in time.

                                                    Jim

                                                    href="mailto:Starbase89@...">Starbase89@...>

                                                    <*> Your email settings:
                                                        Individual Email | Traditional

                                                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                                                        (Yahoo! ID required)

                                                    <*> To change settings via email:

                                                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                                  • Joe Giliberti
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Jun 2, 2008
                                                      Well everything seems to work thus far, save for the joysticks. They have no "up" function. Has color monitor, external FDD, PEB with internal FDD, controller, RS232, 32k, and some other card, speech synth, cassette recorder, a "Compact expansion system" sidecar, and lots of books and cartridges, as well as some disks and cassettes
                                                      He even threw in a compact computer desk.

                                                      Joe

                                                    • schwepes@moog.netaxs.com
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Jun 3, 2008
                                                        Try the dread standard eight pin such as an Epson109. Mine still works.
                                                        bs