Re: [midatlanticretro] Update -- club business and events

  • Bill Degnan
    Message 1 of 6 , May 29, 2008
      suggestion - send an individual invoice to every member, with a paypal link associated with their account if possible. I do this kind of stuff for a living, let me know if I can help.
      Bill

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2008
        Jim Scheef <jscheef@...> wrote:

        > So, it's critical that we make the most of the money we have while
        we continue to solicit members and donations of both money and
        materials for the museum. I would like to suggest that we design our
        first few exhibits on paper so we can determine exactly how much space
        will be needed so we can make or buy appropriate tables or other
        display platforms. Whatever we use must be able to support the weight
        of the computers, protect the exhibits from little fingers, AND
        withstand the inevitable bumps that will occur when people (with kids)
        walk thru the museum. By designing the exhibits first we can actually
        make the signs while we prepare the artifacts. The radio museum found
        that their first signs sucked as they learned how to make better
        signs. We need to learn from their experience. We have little to no
        experience with signs and I suspect that signage will become our first
        real challenge.

        > Jim

        I see exhibit design discussed here primarily as a matter of budget.
        I'll describe the exhibit I'm doing, as a budget consideration and in
        the scope of similar exhibits. In my opinion.

        The exhibit I will design for the 11/20 for the upcoming September
        show, has been described before by me, in a general way. My intention
        from day one, was to provide some kind of example of an exhibit. It
        will be simple and do-able with modest resources - even by the kind of
        funds MARCH had before its recent windfall.

        It's a design consistent with exhibits brought to VCF shows over the
        last few years. Nothing stops MARCH from doing better, *later*. This
        gets the job done NOW, for September, which is *four months* away. As
        Jim points out, "better" work may require more time, experience and
        funds.

        The 11/20 will sit on a table, with some artifacts. There will be a
        plexiglass cover on the top, to make the boards visible but protected.
        I plan to cover the front panel (console) as well, to keep the
        fingerpoken kids off the switches. I am working on these things. Of
        course it will not not NOT be plugged in, as the power supply is
        seperate there is no chance for that.

        The wall behind the table will have two posterboards. On them will be
        some subset of what is displayed on the 11/20 Web page I've made.
        Mostly photos and some descriptive text. There will likely be
        handouts. I'm also considering showing some brief videos of how a
        similar computer, a PDP-8, is operated with its console and with a
        Teletype. This would provide some "operation". The videos are in
        progress, versions are linked on the 11/20 Web page, from a MARCH
        member as noted.

        To a first order, the content of the exhibit will be a subset of the
        11/20 Web page I've already constructed. Again, the Web page was
        intended to be a prototype for other exhibit's Web pages, pages which
        budget-wise only cost time and effort. And, as a reference to discuss
        content and an exhibit - something like Jim's remarks about "paper
        design". I may prototype an actual exhibit on the Web, in a simple way
        if I can.

        Further design is a matter of determining what content and which
        photos will be exhibited, and of course their arrangement and
        composition. Again, cost is not expected to be an issue, these are not
        expensive resources. I'll offer a budget when I have the design
        roughed out, AND see how I can make the signage and photos.

        That is about where I am on this project.

        Please note: this is a forty year old computer, not running, with
        considerable history generally and specific to this box. Most people
        simply would not "know" on sight it's even a "computer". Those
        considerations are determining the nature of the exhibit. Many of
        MARCH's computers are newer, running, generally known, easily
        replaced. So exhibits for them would be different and emphasise
        hands-on and operation, not history of use or design.

        However, as Jim points out, ALL these exhibits need space, display,
        interpretative text and photos on posters and signage. (He did not
        mention Web space, but that is not a budget issue, MARCH has Web space
        already.)

        So, the 11/20 is an example of a KIND of exhibit, and methods, and
        activities one can follow to design another exhibit. But not to follow
        *exactly*. That's one reason I proposed this work - read prior posts.

        But, since this is a discussion thread about COSTS and BUDGETS for
        MARCH, and not an exhibit design discussion, I'll stop here. Anyone
        who wants to discuss the 11/20, or exhibit design, can use another
        discussion thread, old or new.

        Herb Johnson
        retrotechnology.com